Good Frederick Wear and Carry Permit Courses?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan.sarv

Lex talionis.
    Jul 16, 2020
    Maryland
    Has anyone here taken their Wear and Carry permit course in Frederick? Where did you go and how was it? Did anyone take The Machine Gun Nest‘s course? That’s the one I’m leaning towards. It’s $495 so I‘d like to get some feedback on it before I sign up. Thanks for the help.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What are your expectations of " Good" ?

Might seem snarky , but actually serious factor .

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Has anyone here taken their Wear and Carry permit course in Frederick? Where did you go and how was it? Did anyone take The Machine Gun Nest‘s course? That’s the one I’m leaning towards. It’s $495 so I‘d like to get some feedback on it before I sign up. Thanks for the help.
    I’m in Frederick, feel welcome to message if you’d like to hear about my classes before making a commitment.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    TMGN in Frederick offers $50 discounts to people who have annual memberships but you have to ask. I also recommend you ask if they charge extra for fingerprinting, ammo, photographs, etc. I decided to take the class at Gilbert's rather than at TMGN because I thought the cost would be about $100 less, but by the time I added up all the extras that Gilbert's charged me, that $100 had long disappeared!

Cal68

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

All the FREE gun training you could want. Hell they even pay you to train! Hahaha
    LOL Basic police handgun training is crap And it isn't "All you want", unfortunately.

Last edited:

Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    I can't speak to their W&C, but I took my HQL at The Machine Gun Nest, and it was really well done. Been there a few times now and don't have anything negative to say about them. The price tag does seem a little high though

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I just took a W&C course with Condition One Training (http://conditiononemd.com). The classroom stuff was virtual (via Zoom) and the range time was just north of Frederick. Class time was spread over three evenings and started at 5PM so it works for those who don't have weekend time or vacation days to burn. Presentation was great. This stuff usually puts me to sleep but I never got drowsy even once. I learned some stuff too.

Range day was a blast. Monty, the instructor, is a competition shooter (as well a bunch of training credentials) and ran us through a bunch of drills before we did the qualification. Great emphasis on safety, stance, draw, grip, and things you just can't get from a class room. It was really helpful for those with little range time under their belts. Even for the old codgers that have to spend half a minute to do a 15 round mag dump at Hap Baker. Heck, the range day alone was worth the price of admission!

If he just did fingerprints....

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I just took a W&C course with Condition One Training (http://conditiononemd.com). The classroom stuff was virtual (via Zoom) and the range time was just north of Frederick. Class time was spread over three evenings and started at 5PM so it works for those who don't have weekend time or vacation days to burn. Presentation was great. This stuff usually puts me to sleep but I never got drowsy even once. I learned some stuff too.

Range day was a blast. Monty, the instructor, is a competition shooter (as well a bunch of training credentials) and ran us through a bunch of drills before we did the qualification. Great emphasis on safety, stance, draw, grip, and things you just can't get from a class room. It was really helpful for those with little range time under their belts. Even for the old codgers that have to spend half a minute to do a 15 round mag dump at Hap Baker. Heck, the range day alone was worth the price of admission!

If he just did fingerprints....
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for availability in a good class around Frederick. I'll check this out. I've been trying to conserve time off for some trips so I like the sound of the classroom method.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I can't speak to their W&C, but I took my HQL at The Machine Gun Nest, and it was really well done. Been there a few times now and don't have anything negative to say about them. The price tag does seem a little high though
    Was this when L5 did all their training there or after? Big difference from what I understand.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    A couple I know took their wear and carry class at the Machinegun Nest and highly recommended it, they said that the instructor was great.

Has anyone taken the wear and carry course from Premier Firearms Training Academy in Hagerstown?
    They are offering the 16-hour course for $198; John Compton is the owner and instructor.

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    A couple I know took their wear and carry class at the Machinegun Nest and highly recommended it, they said that the instructor was great.

Has anyone taken the wear and carry course from Premier Firearms Training Academy in Hagerstown?
    They are offering the 16-hour course for $198; John Compton is the owner and instructor.
    The Instructor you are speaking of that taught the classes at TMGN is No Longer teaching. So those that took their wear & carry class from July 2022 through Oct 2022 had the Instructor teach them that is No Longer there..... I am not sure if who they have teaching now is any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom