• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    For those of you that have ever wondered about the Steyr pistols, I finally have taken some detailed pics to show the main differences. The Steyr M and M-A1 series pistols were designed mainly by a guy who used to work for Glock. He thought there could be some improvements. First of all, the Steyr M pistols were designed for .40 and .357 SIG to begin with, and later the 9mm calibers (x19 and x21) were added. They share the basic concept, but all in all are very different guns. Both are striker-fired, with similar safety systems.

Glock v. Steyr - note the dust cover on the Steyr. I have noticed the dust cover on a lot of Glocks tends to be "bent" upwards toward the muzzle, giving the rail a warped appearance. On my 17 I can actually bend the front edge a little bit without much effort. The polymer on the Steyr is much more solid and doesn't bend at all.

2004_0101GunZ0021.jpg

Slide rails. Notice the dinky little stamped steel slide rails on the Glock, silver in color. I know this thing is durable, but come on! Compare to the Steyr, the slide rails are both about 2x longer than the Glock's rails. Also, note where the polymer frame has 2 rectangular sections before the front slide rails - the steel starts there, and goes all the way back to the back strap of the pistol. The entire thing is a thick sub-assembly of milled steel.

2004_0101GunZ0024.jpg

Another view of the slide rails/steel sub-assembly:

2004_0101GunZ0017.jpg

Also, notice how the Steyr has the slide rails cut at 45* angles:

2004_0101GunZ0036.jpg

Steyr sights - line up the white triangle between the 2 white slashes:

2004_0101GunZ0064.jpg

Glock sights - drop the ball in the bucket:

2004_0101GunZ20004.jpg

Difference in grip pattern:

2004_0101GunZ0029.jpg

Note how the recoil springs are both captured, using plastic guide rods, with a flat spring. Also, the barrels are very similar:

2004_0101GunZ0062.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Front of slide:

2004_0101GunZ0067.jpg

Slide markings on Glock:

2004_0101GunZ0037.jpg

Slide markings on Steyr:

2004_0101GunZ0043.jpg

Top profile (also w/ CZ-75B) - note the notch in the barrel hood to allow for inspection of the chamber.

2004_0101GunZ0070.jpg

Top profile from the rear. Note the LCI on the back of the Steyr slide below the sight. It is flush now, since the chamber is empty:

2004_0101GunZ20002.jpg

Glock ready for action:

2004_0101GunZ0020.jpg

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I joined this forum just so I could ask you, how did you manage to get that Steyr in the people's republic of Maryland? I discovered last week that I can't get one from CDNN and that Styer doesn't ship with a spend shell casing. It's very disheartening to say the least. At the moment my only option seems to be used but I'm kinda looking for a "new" gun and not many people are selling them at all and the ones that aren't asking reasonable prices. If you have a reliable and not incredibly expensive method of getting one in MD you'd be my hero.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I joined this forum just so I could ask you, how did you manage to get that Steyr in the people's republic of Maryland? I discovered last week that I can't get one from CDNN and that Styer doesn't ship with a spend shell casing. It's very disheartening to say the least. At the moment my only option seems to be used but I'm kinda looking for a "new" gun and not many people are selling them at all and the ones that aren't asking reasonable prices. If you have a reliable and not incredibly expensive method of getting one in MD you'd be my hero.

I made a friend on the steyrclub.com board who lived in another state. We worked a deal so that he would pay for a gun from CDNN ($350), and have it transferred to him through his FFL so he could test fire it. It then became a used gun, so I purchased it from him, and it was transferred through a MD FFL to me. After paying the transfer fees and shipping I came out to about $460. Not a bad deal at all. I know Atlantic Guns in rockville has at least one new S-A1, but I'm not sure about the full-sized M-A1 series. They had a 9mm M9-A1 last year when I got my M40-A1, but I'm pretty sure they sold it. If you look around on Gunbroker, there are some used ones from time to time but they're usually around $450-500...

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Really? They have the S9-A1? I wasn't even aware they had those imported yet. Rockville is a bit of a hike but it'd be worth it if they had it. any idea how much they were asking for it?

I was considering something similar to what you did, my parents and one of my fellow gun friends live in PA still. (It's where I'm from and I'm kicking myself for not buying that Steyr instead of the Glock at that gun show 4 years ago when I still lived there.) I just hope the damn gun is worth all the effort.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Really? They have the S9-A1? I wasn't even aware they had those imported yet. Rockville is a bit of a hike but it'd be worth it if they had it. any idea how much they were asking for it?

I was considering something similar to what you did, my parents and one of my fellow gun friends live in PA still. (It's where I'm from and I'm kicking myself for not buying that Steyr instead of the Glock at that gun show 4 years ago when I still lived there.) I just hope the damn gun is worth all the effort.

I think it's worth the effort. It's an awesome gun. Just look at the pics, I really think the way the slide rails have been laid out, with the whole solid steel sub-system works really well. I've only had one malfunction, and it was from limpwristing for about 600 rounds so far. Feeds all sorts of FMJ and JHP. Hasn't choked on anything I've thrown at it.

I don't remember how much the S-A1 was, but I assume around $550 or so. It's about what you'd see going from a Glock 19 down to a Glock 26. The full-size Steyr is closer to the compact Glocks.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I called the Atlantic store in Rockville and they had no idea what I was talking about. I've already got a Glock 26 anyway, looking for a full sized polymer gun, if only for the longer sight radius. Maybe a Walther P99, the FN FNP9 or the new Sig 250 if I can't find a Steyr.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I called the Atlantic store in Rockville and they had no idea what I was talking about. I've already got a Glock 26 anyway, looking for a full sized polymer gun, if only for the longer sight radius. Maybe a Walther P99, the FN FNP9 or the new Sig 250 if I can't find a Steyr.

Hm... I was there 3 weeks ago for the Glock sale and it was in the case... anyway. Yeah those guys can be idiots sometimes. Your secondary choices look good. I'd love to have any of those in my collection! Especially the original German P99 (not the S&W redesign or the new one with the rounded trigger guard and QA trigger).

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD

Get the FNP-9, you will not be disappointed.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    :drool: Thanks smores! This thread just made my day! I was just happy to hold that Steyr. Man is that thing awesome. I bet it's a hoot to shoot! :party29:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I ended up finding a M9A1 from a seller in NC. I took it to the range about a week and a half ago. Over all I'm very very impressed with it. I like every single aspect about it better than my Glock. In fact barring any future problems that might arise I think my purchase of the Steyr might have made my Glock a safe queen. Unless I ever move to another state and get a CCW again.

focusr3

Apr 23, 2008
    I don't care for the fnp-9 unless it is the dao model the da/sa lever is right where my thumb is and i hit it a few times while shooting so i went with the xd

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    chilidog

Latest threads

Top Bottom