• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    For those who are Glock fan's I have a question.

When drawing from holster and attempting to point shoot do you find yourself rolling your wrist forward and down? It seems every time I quickly present the G19/23 models the front sight is WAY over the target. The only mechanics I can find to correct this is by rolling my wrist forward.

I've done back to back to back draws and presentations on target with my MP40's and Sig 229 and find they naturally point better on target. I believe I can train myself to roll my wrist down with the Glock if that's the required technique. If it isn't then I'll just accept that Glocks do not naturally aim well for me and I'll move onto to a different firearm.

I'm looking to replace my MP40C for CCW as it's several years old and the night sights are starting to go. The simple solution is to get new sights however I'm looking to move towards a more "compact" and not "sub compact" gun to add magazine capacity and a bit of sight radius.

Thoughts?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have resolved that by using a grip force adapter to change te grip angle to about 105 degrees. Similar to a 1911.

Now, my glocks point better

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Glocks have a more dramatic grip angle than Sigs, HKs, M&Ps, 1911s, etc. Supposedly, Gaston measured the hands of Austrian army cadets/recruits and angled the grip based on their hand size and how they pointed. Its closer to the grip angle of the Luger.

Personally, I love it. If I point at something on the wall, and then point with the Glock, its virtually an exact match. But, if you shoot a lot of 1911s and Sigs and such, then it will point high for you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, you aren't making lethal his with it? Matters not since point shooting isn't shooting for accuracy.
    As long as you are making them count I don't see a problem.

How do you know your sight is way over the target since point shooting isn't aimed fire? What distance 2-7 yards?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My G19 is the same, I usually aim a little lower than the target I'm trying to hit. My G30 on the other hand is spot on.

How do you know something is"spot on" when you point shoot? You do know point shooting or instinct shooting isn't aimed fire with sights, right?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Glocks have a more dramatic grip angle than Sigs, HKs, M&Ps, 1911s, etc. Supposedly, Gaston measured the hands of Austrian army cadets/recruits and angled the grip based on their hand size and how they pointed. Its closer to the grip angle of the Luger.

Personally, I love it. If I point at something on the wall, and then point with the Glock, its virtually an exact match. But, if you shoot a lot of 1911s and Sigs and such, then it will point high for you.

I find the grip angle on my Glock(s) to be very similar to the P08 Luger.
    While the grip angle is 'supposed to be' close to the same angle as a naturally pointed finger, the grip angle takes some getting used to.

The grip angle on the 1911 platform (to me) is just about perfect.
    Still, I don't 'point shoot', I fire aimed shots. (And hitting with the G19 is VERY easy to do!)

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    How do you know something is"spot on" when you point shoot? You do know point shooting or instinct shooting isn't aimed fire with sights, right?

I didn't know that, I always aim using the sights. But now that I think about it, when I first switched to Glock's from Sig's every time I would draw the Glock it would be pointed a little up compared to flat with my Sig's (226 and 229).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't know that, I always aim using the sights. But now that I think about it, when I first switched to Glock's from Sig's every time I would draw the Glock it would be pointed a little up compared to flat with my Sig's (226 and 229).

It's exactly if you just took your finger and quickly pointed it at someone, only with a pistol in your hand. Just more dangerous :)
    It's fast, instinctual shooting in a defense mode when you need to get a shot off fast. Usually with one hand coming out of the holster but you can use two hands.
    Two handed can be a rhythm drill of numerous shots at center mass as you are pushing out or having one shot break as you extended out with two hands.
    Truly amazing how easy center mass shots are and a great confidence builder when you learn.

Put a piece of tape over your rear sight next time even slow firing. It will help you realize how little you need them at all to make quality self defense shots.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I no get call last night. I sad.

Also protip.
    Use black electrical tape over the sights as if you use others (painters or masking) your eyes pick up on the different color and form a rudimentary sight picture.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I no get call last night. I sad.

Also protip.
    Use black electrical tape over the sights as if you use others (painters or masking) your eyes pick up on the different color and form a rudimentary sight picture.

Ended up not going at all. I sad too.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    No I am not overly confident I would have good center mass hits at 7-10 yards with my current grip on a Glock.

Also just practicing draw and pointing the front sight is way high if I just hold the gun steady where it naturally points for me and then pick up the front sight the gun is always angled upward fairly high.

When rolling my wrist forward it seems much better. Was basically wondering if many others had to this or if it was just the Glock not fitting.

I assume with a "thumbs forward" grip it would become even more natural of a pointing motion but haven't tried that during live fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom