• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

I purchased a couple of used G27 Gen4 off GunBroker and I wanted a Glock gunsmith to give them the once over before I start carrying them. I am in Harford County and was wondering if anyone knows someone close to me who fits the bill.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Is there anything of concern that you see off hand?

I think the most overlooked part of Glock maintenance is keeping the trigger bar lubricared.

Very simple to do, field strip and then push this pin out, lift the trigger bar assembly up and then put some oil or grease on there

Attachments

• 8BD456BB-7673-447E-8D98-E549075BEB6E.jpeg
      8BD456BB-7673-447E-8D98-E549075BEB6E.jpeg
      317.3 KB · Views: 92
    • 5FA84861-44E8-410B-ABB4-CA555ED25AE1.jpeg
      5FA84861-44E8-410B-ABB4-CA555ED25AE1.jpeg
      221.7 KB · Views: 84
    • DE907DC0-EB7A-4B65-9BD4-43F76043286C.jpeg
      DE907DC0-EB7A-4B65-9BD4-43F76043286C.jpeg
      307.1 KB · Views: 86

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Check with Philip Von Eiff at Defensive Handgun Consultants. He is a certified Glock armorer. He has offices in the same building as Continental Arms in Hunt Valley area.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Hello all,

I purchased a couple of used G27 Gen4 off GunBroker and I wanted a Glock gunsmith to give them the once over before I start carrying them. I am in Harford County and was wondering if anyone knows someone close to me who fits the bill.
    Clean the barrel, strip the slide and frame, clean and inspect the striker and striker channel, maybe buy an OEM replacement spring kit if there is a question of significant wear. Look for wear on the connector and trigger bar, make sure the button on the striker safety is smooth and that it depresses fully and easily, look at the extractor. I am sure Glock would do the same (for a price) and replace anything needing replacing with OEM. If you sleep better knowing a Glock tech worked it over, have them do it, but much of it can be done by the owner/operator with a few cheap tools.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Clean the barrel, strip the slide and frame, clean and inspect the striker and striker channel, maybe buy an OEM replacement spring kit if there is a question of significant wear. Look for wear on the connector and trigger bar, make sure the button on the striker safety is smooth and that it depresses fully and easily, look at the extractor. I am sure Glock would do the same (for a price) and replace anything needing replacing with OEM. If you sleep better knowing a Glock tech worked it over, have them do it, but much of it can be done by the owner/operator with a few cheap tools.

Thanks. I watched a couple of videos on youtube about going beyond a field strip. It is much easier than I thought. The 3/32 punch tool should be arriving today so will be working on them this week.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Is there anything of concern that you see off hand?

I think the most overlooked part of Glock maintenance is keeping the trigger bar lubricared.

Very simple to do, field strip and then push this pin out, lift the trigger bar assembly up and then put some oil or grease on there

Check with Philip Von Eiff at Defensive Handgun Consultants. He is a certified Glock armorer. He has offices in the same building as Continental Arms in Hunt Valley area.

You can send them to Glock and they will look them over and replace parts as needed

This…

Brand new OEM parts, installed at the factory. And the pistol examined by factory techs to check for any issues.

Thank you all for the replies. I have learned quite a bit about glocks in the last couple of weeks. They are much simpler to disassemble and out together than I thought. I have also found some place where I can buy OEM parts to replace the originals.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glock Gunamith is almost an oxymoron , as there's little that a Glock Armorer couldn't do .

To return to the theme . is there anything that you think is problematic ?

Without seeming a fanboy , an unmolested stock Glock will go 100k rounds plus before wearing out anything ( * excepting magazines , and periodic preventive recoil spring replacement )

Good cleaning , and good lube job , and go forth .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you have used G27s, I'd replace the recoil springs and then do enough shooting to verify reliable function with your chosen self-defense ammo. But the reality is that subcompacts seldom get shot very much.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Glock Gunamith is almost an oxymoron , as there's little that a Glock Armorer couldn't do .

To return to the theme . is there anything that you think is problematic ?

Without seeming a fanboy , an unmolested stock Glock will go 100k rounds plus before wearing out anything ( * excepting magazines , and periodic preventive recoil spring replacement )

Good cleaning , and good lube job , and go forth .
    There are a couple of other springs in there that would likely wear out before 100k rounds.

That said, it is a stupid safe design. Unless you think, suspect, or it looks like something is molested, hand checking it should be enough to ensure it is safe. Gun empty (verify), rack slide, pull trigger with a pencil down the barrel and gun pointed up. Does pencil jump up? Good, FCG/striker work. Now with trigger still pulled rack slide, release trigger, pull trigger again. Does it go click? If so, you are basically good. You can put a couple of dummies (DUMMIES!) into the magazine and run them through the chamber and make sure it'll feed and eject by hand. Other than that, take it to the range and shoot it.

If this will be an actual carry gun, I guess best bet is send it to Glock and have them work it over. If it was me, Glock armorer extraordinaire, if it was a carry gun, I'd replace the striker spring, striker channel liner, striker spring cup, trigger spring and recoil guide rod and spring. Blast it all out to remove dirt, lube proper lubrication spots. Call it a day.

But I also don't leave my Glock's stock, so many of the bits inside are getting replaced on any of my glocks anyway.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I disagree. Armorer's and Gunsmiths are usually very different animals.

Sometimes a person can be both, but it's not very common.

Glock Armorer's are trained to keep a Glock running with factory/OEM Glock parts. If a person wants a Glock to be brought up or kept to factory specs then a Glock Armorer is a great choice. A Gunsmith who hasn't been trained as a Glock Armorer may be a poor choice.

Just about every part on a the Glock is now available as an aftermarket option. Glock Armorer's are rarely trained to deal with the part variables and fitting required to make aftermarket parts work properly. This is usually where a Gunsmith shines (if they are worth their salt).

Glocks have suffered the same fate as the 1911 and AR and can be a very unreliable machine if the wrong hands have been messing with them or the wrong parts are used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom