• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I prefer the Glock 19 Gen 5 to the Gen 4 - the finger grooves are in the wrong place for my hand, the Gen 5 is much more comfortable. And they improved the trigger (still not great) and barrel.

WRT the G43X, I'd go with the MOS cut...which they thankfully made to the Shield spec, so you've got a decent selection of micro red dots that fit it directly.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    do yourself a favor and as noted above, find and hit a range that rents a lot and try out what you like. functionally, all the glocks just plain work. diff generations have diff features involving grip, stippling etc, pick what you like best. i think most if not all the glocks can be gotten with nite sights, or certainly it is no biggie to switch them out.

i will 2nd, 3rd and 4th the 43x. you can get a full grip on it, without one of those stupid pinkie extensions, and it being just a little slimmer really helps in the comfort category. and it's not so small to be unmanageable shooting it.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    That's true. I first wanted to know which of the specific models had which features that would be best fit for me. I do not like having safety features like the grip safety on a handgun. I shot a Springfield 1911 Range Officer model that had a grip safety, and it did not feel smooth in my right hand. To my knowledge, the Glock 19X has night sights, which would help in case I would have to use it at night.
    The 19x is larger than the plain 19. It has the frame of the Glock 17 married with the slide and barrel of the 19. The larger grip will make it harder to conceal.

The Gen 4 Glock 19 is no longer made by Glock for non-LE, which is why they are hard to find. So Gen 3 or 5 for a new Glock 19.

The Gen 5 offers no finger grooves, interchangeable backstraps, ambidextrous slide lock/release lever, a "match barrel" or whatever they call it. The Gen 3 has finger grooves, no ambi controls, polygonal rifled barrel, smaller mag release button.

So it depends on what features are important to you

blaster228

Aug 5, 2022
    Gambrills
    I am taking the Wear and Carry class on the 13th and 20th. I am planning to carry a 9mm in the future, specifically a Glock 19. I do not know which model to get. Can anyone point me to a particular model to get?
    I carry a Gen 4. If I bought today I’d grab the gen 5 just because. If you have a belly it might give a bit of a signature if you’re planning IWB. Glock 43 a bit better in that regard.

I’d try them all at a range with rentals. It’s a hassle, but you want to be 100% comfortable with your carry weapon

Train hard. Stay Frosty.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I cannot comment on 9mm Model 19 Glocks since my only Glock is a 23C.

However, having had the chance to shoot my G23 for the first time yesterday and totally never shooting a Glock ever, I had good success at hitting where I was aiming ( point shooting)
    The G23 and my coaching permitted me to be reasonably accurate enough to qualify even within a few minutes of my first shots ever with it. The Glock felt reliable and comfortable to shoot which I adapted to with ease.

With considerable practice, I am sure my abilities will only improve. My coaches were top notch too. If you do get a new G19, consider getting a good teacher to be a safe and refined shooter. I will attest that to be shown good and proper technique will serve you well. Having supervision in order to see and eliminate poor habits plus showing how to do it the right way, will also be invaluable and save costly ammo doing things the wrong way ( trial and error) And quite possibly will eliminate danger to oneself and others.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    The 19x is larger than the plain 19. It has the frame of the Glock 17 married with the slide and barrel of the 19. The larger grip will make it harder to conceal.

The Gen 4 Glock 19 is no longer made by Glock for non-LE, which is why they are hard to find. So Gen 3 or 5 for a new Glock 19.

The Gen 5 offers no finger grooves, interchangeable backstraps, ambidextrous slide lock/release lever, a "match barrel" or whatever they call it. The Gen 3 has finger grooves, no ambi controls, polygonal rifled barrel, smaller mag release button.

So it depends on what features are important to you
    I do not what Ambi controls are for. For me, as long as I can get a firm and comfortable grip and I can easily use the mag release button, that's all that matters to me. I do not know about what a rifled barrel would do.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    I carry a Gen 4. If I bought today I’d grab the gen 5 just because. If you have a belly it might give a bit of a signature if you’re planning IWB. Glock 43 a bit better in that regard.

I’d try them all at a range with rentals. It’s a hassle, but you want to be 100% comfortable with your carry weapon

Train hard. Stay Frosty.
    Thank you. I'm 5 foot 9 and about 150-160 pounds so I do not think it will bother me that much whether I carry the Glock 19 or the Glock 43X. The only issue would be concealing it and God forbit, drawing it, if and only if necessary.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Lol. I know. They are good people, I think you will enjoy talking with Mike- he is very knowledgeable, and will help you find what fits you best.
    I would definitely want to talk to people who are in the field. I was given advice that it's not about what you know, it's about who you know. Having great people to give instruction on anything and someone for you to look up to maintains your confidence in them and gives you the sense of self-esteem that everybody needs in these dark times.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    do yourself a favor and as noted above, find and hit a range that rents a lot and try out what you like. functionally, all the glocks just plain work. diff generations have diff features involving grip, stippling etc, pick what you like best. i think most if not all the glocks can be gotten with nite sights, or certainly it is no biggie to switch them out.

i will 2nd, 3rd and 4th the 43x. you can get a full grip on it, without one of those stupid pinkie extensions, and it being just a little slimmer really helps in the comfort category. and it's not so small to be unmanageable shooting it.
    I frequently go to the Delmarva Sporting Clays range in Mardela Springs. The last time that I fired a handgun was several years ago in South Carolina with my father and older brother. In case if anyone goes to that particular range, I will be going there soon for practice.

UPDATE:
    I had fun at the range yesterday. I went to try out the Glock 19 Gen 3 with a single stack 10 round magazine that had a pinkie extension. I think it would have been better with the finger grooves and if I was able to change the backstrap, but that is just a cosmetic thing for me. The most annoying part was loading the magazine without a speedloader. I was only able to load 7 rounds, but one time I was able to load 8. I was able to land shots at 25 yards no problem for the most part. When I go to my upcoming Wear and Carry class on the 13th, the instructors will have firearms for those that don't bring their own, so I'll ask one of the instructors if I could look at a Glock 43X. Here are the metal targets that I shot at.

Attachments

• Metal Target.png
      Metal Target.png
      813 KB · Views: 30
    • IMG_1916.jpg
      IMG_1916.jpg
      284.5 KB · Views: 35
    Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I do not what Ambi controls are for. For me, as long as I can get a firm and comfortable grip and I can easily use the mag release button, that's all that matters to me. I do not know about what a rifled barrel would do.
    The ambidextrous controls are so that, if you're a lefty, the controls aren't all backwards. Alternatively, if you are a righty but forced (injury?) to use the gun lefty, it's a little easier.

All these guns have rifling. I think the polygonal rifling in the first 4 generations of Glock were for durability and maybe ease of maintenance (happy to be corrected here). The Gen 5 has conventional rifling and a match crown which many say makes it more accurate.

I only own Gen 3 and 4 Glocks. They work for me so never felt the need to switch to a Gen 5.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    The ambidextrous controls are so that, if you're a lefty, the controls aren't all backwards. Alternatively, if you are a righty but forced (injury?) to use the gun lefty, it's a little easier.

All these guns have rifling. I think the polygonal rifling in the first 4 generations of Glock were for durability and maybe ease of maintenance (happy to be corrected here). The Gen 5 has conventional rifling and a match crown which many say makes it more accurate.

I only own Gen 3 and 4 Glocks. They work for me so never felt the need to switch to a Gen 5.
    Thank you so much for explaining it to me. I am right handed.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I did not watch the video.

Shield arms mags need the metal release. Otherwise the mag pops out at 15,14,13... Defeating the purpose.
    Once you put the metal release? The standard 10 rounds mags will not eject easily.

Best of luck on your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom