Glass vs Power; Where do I Put My Money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaserman

MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2023
    Dundalk Md
    Buy the best glass you can I use leupold
    Ziess Swarovski and Khales
    I started with Tasso Bushnell
    But as income got better I moved up
    I also have had grate luck with used scopes
    Just picked up a Ziezz 3 x 9 Divaria cheap
    Bigger objective lense let’s more light in
    My standard scope power for Rast Coast is 3 x 9.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    What's better for a longer reach; a 12X with nice glass or a 16X or 18X with average glass? I have a Monarch 12X that I was thinking of replacing for a bit more reach but I am thinking don't bother unless I want to put down good money.
    I read every response to see nobody asked this question... What are you going to be doing with this scope?

A $4000 scope on a plastic walmart rifle is a waste of about $3000.
    A $4000 scope on a Vudoo or built CZ457 MTR is a trophy-winning combination.

I've been buying only Nightforces since 2009 or so. Great scopes. A recent surge of .22's in the stable saw me buy four Vortex's of various grades. I'm disappointed but my kids won't know the difference. Nightforce ATACR or Zero Compromise will be the next scopes I buy.

So, what do you plan on doing with this next scope? Or is this thread simply a discussion thread? Scopes and their options are very much best suited to their planned purpose.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Way out of my weight class here, Good Luck OP.
    caddyshack_photo7.jpg

Blaserman

MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2023
    Dundalk Md
    I too like Nightforce. Matter a fact I plan to use one on a up coming Smokeless Muzzleloader build. For thoughs who want to learn more about scopes there is a guy on YouTube Cyclops he tests and reviews scopes. He explains different aspects

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    While I've never been happy about spending a lot of money on optics, I have never really been disappointed, good glass is always worth it. Now you can find deals, Europtics, Kinseys, and around here Shydas will usually have good deals and sells under MAP pricing in the store or with things like emailing "quotes" or whatever to get around MAP pricing BS.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I read every response to see nobody asked this question... What are you going to be doing with this scope?

A $4000 scope on a plastic walmart rifle is a waste of about $3000.
    A $4000 scope on a Vudoo or built CZ457 MTR is a trophy-winning combination.

I've been buying only Nightforces since 2009 or so. Great scopes. A recent surge of .22's in the stable saw me buy four Vortex's of various grades. I'm disappointed but my kids won't know the difference. Nightforce ATACR or Zero Compromise will be the next scopes I buy.

So, what do you plan on doing with this next scope? Or is this thread simply a discussion thread? Scopes and their options are very much best suited to their planned purpose.
    I put the Trijicon Credo 4-16x50 on a 7mm-08 Bergara B14 Ridge. How far away I end up shooting it (beyond routine 100 or 200 yard range visits) remains to be seen .

The scope is close in price to the rifle so I don't think that's a mismatch at all.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    You may want to check out this site: https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=623

It's run by Ilya who is an optics engineer. He has done a nice job breaking optics into categories, testing them, and giving recommendations. He also helps with some designs of various optics. Definitely worth some time clocking around

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom