• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Wife wants a new rifle for Xmas. (Savage Axis II XP.)

If I purchase it, the FFL will transfer it to me, in my name. Do I then need to go with her to an FFL to put it in her name?

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    no , two two can use each other's " stuff " as much as you want , only thing that is strictly regulated is nfa , you both would have to be on the trust .

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Or buy it, then take her to the gun shop to fill out the 4473 for her new rifle. Lots of options.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Me and the wife have done this many times. We refuse to get a second HQL, and MD hasn't F***ed this up yet. Married, living together and neither of you prohibited, you 2 can share whatever guns you want - including handguns, which I just buy on my HQL which I resisted getting at first.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Me and the wife have done this many times. We refuse to get a second HQL, and MD hasn't F***ed this up yet. Married, living together and neither of you prohibited, you 2 can share whatever guns you want - including handguns, which I just buy on my HQL which I resisted getting at first.
    The only real issue is if there was a divorce, they aren't hers. Usually doesn't matter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Newly weds - totally agree - proceed with caution. But , we haven't killed each other after almost 30 years.....yet :rolleyes:
    Yeah I hear you. I just passed my bitter-sweet 16 with my wife a few weeks ago :-)

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    No buy her WTF she wants. Is this a filler until you or she decides what she wants. Savage is ok as are many of the so called budget rifles, but maybe get her a step up.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Plus you can still transfer a long-gun between immediate family members without going through an FFL.
    Is there a “legal” definition, or at least a generally accepted definition of “immediate family member”? I would guess, cousins, in-laws maybe no, but father, mother, sister, brother good to go? Or do you have to live in the same household?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Not advocating breaking any laws or anything....

But who's going to have any clue what deer rifle belongs to whom. I'd just give it to her.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Is there a “legal” definition, or at least a generally accepted definition of “immediate family member”? I would guess, cousins, in-laws maybe no, but father, mother, sister, brother good to go? Or do you have to live in the same household?
    I believe this is the current language:

IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER” MEANS A SPOUSE, A PARENT, A STEPPARENT, A GRANDPARENT, A STEPGRANDPARENT, AN AUNT, AN UNCLE, A SIBLING, A STEPSIBLING, A CHILD, A STEPCHILD, A GRANDCHILD, A STEPGRANDCHILD, A NIECE, OR A NEPHEW, AS RELATED BY BLOOD OR MARRIAGE.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Doc posted the list. But cousins no. Everyone else you mentioned yes. Other than cousins, it’s a fairly fleshed out listing. Surprisingly so considering what the MGA really thinks of gun ownership. They wouldn’t even include gifting a gun to yourself if they could help it.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, here's how we did it-

She asked for a specific rifle. She knew I was going to buy it so the "surprise" is blown, it's not going to be under the tree like the Red Ryder BB gun with the compass in the stock. We took a road trip to the only shop that had them in stock (Molly's), she looked at different versions and then chose what she wanted and I paid for it. She filled out all the paperwork and went through the NICS check.

On top of everything else, she's submitted her name for another mentored hunt which is in early December. She wanted the rifle in case she is selected for the hunt.

Frankly, I think it was good for her to jump through all of the administrative hoops so that she finally understands what law abiding owners have to go through in order to exercise their right. She was also privvy to a bunch of shop talk about upcoming gun legislation. She needs to hear this, not be insulated from it by me doing her paperwork for her.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Ok, here's how we did it-

She asked for a specific rifle. She knew I was going to buy it so the "surprise" is blown, it's not going to be under the tree like the Red Ryder BB gun with the compass in the stock. We took a road trip to the only shop that had them in stock (Molly's), she looked at different versions and then chose what she wanted and I paid for it. She filled out all the paperwork and went through the NICS check.

On top of everything else, she's submitted her name for another mentored hunt which is in early December. She wanted the rifle in case she is selected for the hunt.

Frankly, I think it was good for her to jump through all of the administrative hoops so that she finally understands what law abiding owners have to go through in order to exercise their right. She was also privvy to a bunch of shop talk about upcoming gun legislation. She needs to hear this, not be insulated from it by me doing her paperwork for her.
    You did the right thing.

What caliber did she go with? I have two Savage Axis'ses's.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    She went with .350 Legend to stay clear of MD state hunting regs.

That's a nice rifle and a good caliber for deer in this state. I've got one of the OG Savage Axis rifles in that and it's a nice gun. I prefer my CVA Cascade in .350 Legend to the Savage Axis, but it's a standard Axis, not the Axis II XP which I'm of the understanding is a much more comparable gun to the Cascade.

The real question is, why you didn't convince her to go with an M1 Garand so you could add to your collection vicariously? :lol2:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    That's a nice rifle and a good caliber for deer in this state. I've got one of the OG Savage Axis rifles in that and it's a nice gun. I prefer my CVA Cascade in .350 Legend to the Savage Axis, but it's a standard Axis, not the Axis II XP which I'm of the understanding is a much more comparable gun to the Cascade.

The real question is, why you didn't convince her to go with an M1 Garand so you could add to your collection vicariously? :lol2:
    Lol, she gotta have that SWC for where she hunts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom