• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    Wasn't one of the big selling points of a "ghost gun" to have a gun the government doesn't know about in case they get confiscation happy? I wonder how many people serializing home-builds have "molon labe" stickers on something.
    Ghost guns is a made up term like “assault rifles” and “assault weapons”.

Reality: people can make their own guns legally but you cannot legally sell/transfer them.

Anti gunners: we shall call them Ghost guns because they are not required to be registered or reported to the government.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Reality: people can make their own guns legally but you cannot legally sell/transfer them.

Anti gunners: we shall call them Ghost guns because they are not required to be registered or reported to the government.
    Yes, I'm familiar with all of this. Note the quotes around "ghost gun" and the later, more accurate, label of "home-builds".

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I build my own furniture but it doesn't need a serial number for me to sit upon it. What would you do if the king said you had to serialize and register the vegetables you grow for your own table you built with your hands or the honey you harvested to spread on the very bread you baked to feed your own family?

THINK!!!!

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    New to this. I have a lower I'm going to build into an AR pistol. It's in time out for another couple of days. By law do I need to do something - engrave, register, etc. I'm building it as a home defense weapon.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If I understand correctly the only number that needs to be engraved on a homemade firearm is the builders zip code followed by his initials followed by a number of the builders choosing. For instance: 21146JB01. It does not have to be registered with MSP. If the firearm is to be transferred or sold an additional ATF complaint number has to be added to the builders s/n that was previously engraved. Is this correct?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    That was old guidance people used to offer for marking 80s.

If it is marked by the ATF standard it does not need to be registered with the MSP.

This requires FFl/Gunsmith to enter in their bound book which effectively creates a registration. In the event your firearm is found they then can reach out to the FFL who engraved it to ask who last owned it.

See this example Roaddawg had done by @Bluecustomworks this is the only currently acceptable method for PMFs to be marked.

9C573EF1-5FC5-4D5D-A371-4F06E5193EA6.jpeg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel

My understanding is that once it has an ATF formatted serial number, it can be legally transferred like any other firearm. This is what I was told by an FFL that does the engraving.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    I have no intent of ever transferring it so I will get it engraved then. Thank you.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    That was old guidance people used to offer for marking 80s.

If it is marked by the ATF standard it does not need to be registered with the MSP.

This requires FFl/Gunsmith to enter in their bound book which effectively creates a registration. In the event your firearm is found they then can reach out to the FFL who engraved it to ask who last owned it.

See this example Roaddawg had done by @Bluecustomworks this is the only currently acceptable method for PMFs to be marked.

View attachment 378224
    Just reading the link makes my head hurt. Lol. I need to reread it to comprehend what to do as I have not gotten my lower yet.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    So reading into this further.... since the lower I got is waiting on the 77R to come back, wouldn't it have a serial number already?

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    So reading into this further.... since the lower I got is waiting on the 77R to come back, wouldn't it have a serial number already?

Yes it will already have a s/n. Yours is not an 80%, it's100%. It is considered a firearm even though it's just the stripped receiver.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Yes. You don't need to do anything. No ghost for you.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Phew... lol I was really getting worked up worrying about it. I only went this route mainly because it's cheaper but also I wanted to build it myself.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Yes it will already have a s/n. Yours is not an 80%, it's100%. It is considered a firearm even though it's just the stripped receiver.
    Curious....how did you know it's not a 80%? Because I had to do a 77R?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom