• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Yeah. An 80% (until recently) is technically just a block of aluminum so doesn’t have to go through dealer. Are you milling out the receiver?
    Oh gotcha. No, I just need to assemble it once I buy the upper. Looking at a PSA pistol kit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    If I have an unmilled, untouched 80%, does that need a serial done or can I wait until I finish it or at least wait until I plan on starting? I’d hate to pay to have it done, be on the books (“registry”) and mess it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If I have an unmilled, untouched 80%, does that need a serial done or can I wait until I finish it or at least wait until I plan on starting? I’d hate to pay to have it done, be on the books (“registry”) and mess it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless I am mistaken:. 80% receivers are now considered firearms (because reasons). Unserialized firearms are illegal (in Maryland, again because reasons. Easier to blame ghost guns than to admit a total failure in crime control). Hence, yes you have to have it serialized whether it is milled, built or not. If that makes you mad, take that anger to the ballot box and contact your elected representative and give them an earful for not representing your interests.

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Unless I am mistaken:. 80% receivers are now considered firearms. Unserialized firearms are illegal (in Maryland). Hence, yes you have to have it serialized whether it is milled, built or not. If that makes you mad, take that anger to the ballot box and contact your elected representative and give them an earful for not representing your interests.
    I think you are mistaken. My understanding is that you can still buy unserialized 80% lowers and 80% frames outside of select states that prohibit them (like MD). They just can't sell "kits" that come with parts and jigs to assist in milling/drilling without going through an FFL. You can still buy jigs separately, though. Even that restriction is being challenged with some initial indications of success. I believe the new regulation also requires FFLs to serialized your firearm if it comes into their possession overnight, e.g. for gunsmithing work.

In MD you can still own 80% frames/receivers (purchased earlier or out of state) until the earlier of March 2023 or 30 days after completion of milling/drilling.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I think you are mistaken. My understanding is that you can still buy unserialized 80% lowers and 80% frames outside of select states that prohibit them (like MD). They just can't sell "kits" that come with parts and jigs to assist in milling/drilling without going through an FFL. You can still buy jigs separately, though. Even that restriction is being challenged with some initial indications of success. I believe the new regulation also requires FFLs to serialized your firearm if it comes into their possession overnight, e.g. for gunsmithing work.

In MD you can still own 80% frames/receivers (purchased earlier or out of state) until the earlier of March 2023 or 30 days after completion of milling/drilling.

I would present the evidence of 1911 80% lowers and Sig 80% lowers, both of which cannot be sold to any state, and neither were ever offered as build kits with included jigs.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I would present the evidence of 1911 80% lowers and Sig 80% lowers, both of which cannot be sold to any state, and neither were ever offered as build kits with included jigs.
    And I would present the examples of Polymer80 and Daytona Tactical, who are still selling 80% handgun frames and 80% lowers, respectively, with no FFL required. They don't ship to DC, MD, or the other usual suspects, but they do ship to most states including VA.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    And I would present the examples of Polymer80 and Daytona Tactical, who are still selling 80% handgun frames and 80% lowers, respectively, with no FFL required. They don't ship to DC, MD, or the other usual suspects, but they do ship to most states including VA.

interesting, I didn't know that.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If you live in Maryland… and have an 80% firearm which you’ve bought… it is now required to have a serial number etched into the frame.

There was a time when the zip code and a personal identifier was accepted. And registration with MSP was mandatory. That ended in Augusta 2022.

The acceptable method now… is the ATF method which is comprised of a portion of the FFL identifier, who etches the frame, and a unique number which you may choose. Registration with MSP is not required (until/unless it is being transferred, which would be completed through a FFL Dealer)

Sucks. And the rule could be eventually overturned by SCOTUS. But getting jammed up with legal troubles in the mean time, would suck far worse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom