• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    I'm thinking about picking on of these up. All of the reviews seem to be positive. Does anyone on here own one and if so, your thoughts?

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I have the Infantry one without the strap cutter and I think it is a pretty decent knife. It is a little heavy, seems well made and substantial enough to cut down a tree. The edge polished up nicely and seems to be holding, but I haven't done any heavy duty work with it yet. I plan on using it this hunting season.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I've read good reviews too and I was super close to getting one of these. But, I went another direction based on the steel that I wanted. Still may get one.

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    I have a Gerber LMFII and have been very happy with it. I take it camping with me and have found it to be a durable and sharp knife. Some folks don't like the serrated blade for bushcraft purposes, but I have had no problems with it. Gerber blades are not made of the hardest steel, so get a good knife sharpener such as the Smith pocket pal and you will be able to keep the blade and serrations very sharp. The other nice thing is that the sheath is molle compatible, so it fasten to your vest or backpack easily.
    If you ware looking for something without the serrated blade, I would recommend the SOG force knife, a little more expensive, but also a great value.
    You can find a lot of reviews on both knifes on Youtube.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I've handled one and it is a good knife...however, it is 420HC stainless IIRC, and at that price range, there are a lot of different options including knives that use premium carbon steels. For larger fixed blades in the price-range, I am personally biased towards 1095 or 52100 for the reason being that they can withstand serious abuse well beyond most stainless steels, and they keep a working edge when a stainless blade will roll or chip. Properly treated 1095 is still one of the premier knife blade steels used today, despite being decades old.

In that price-range, I personally think the Ontario RAT5 is the best knife in regards to performance and ability to withstand abuse...IMO it's a better knife than many costing 3-5 times its price. As a Randall design, every aspect of its design is solely for performance...the RAT line is designed to be a tool that is used for anything and everything. It's made in 1095 with a great heat treatment, the handle is durable and extremely grippy micarta, it is almost .2 inches thick (they have models that are .25 and beyond), and it is a full flat grind which IMO is a huge upgrade over a hollow grind for a survival/bushcraft knife...1095 will give you serious edge retention, more strength, and a longer working/utility edge. I am not sure of the warranty of Gerber, but with Ontario, if you damage it, they replace it, and they don't care when or where you bought it or what you did to it.

Plus I love micarta as it is actually gripper when wet/bloody than when dry, which is already super grippy.

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/ontario-rat-5-fixed-blade-knife-1095-steel/

My 2 ¢...

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks for posting the information on the ontario rat knife. It looks really great, I just ordered one and will let you know how it works for me.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for posting the information on the ontario rat knife. It looks really great, I just ordered one and will let you know how it works for me.

Let me know how you like it...the beatings they can take are just epic. I think you will really like the micarta handle...its tendency to get gripper when covered in water, blood, or oil is a minor detail on paper but one which makes using it so nice.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Repeat of taking it camping. Handles camp site duties with no problem. I like the grip, though I may get one of the Ontario's. I do wish the blade kept an edge a little longer but it will take a beating

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom