• ...and so much more!
  • How do you feel about Geothermal?

• Already using geothermal.

Votes: 7 11.1%
    • Very interested in geothermal.

Votes: 46 73.0%
    • Not an option for me.

Votes: 11 17.5%
    • What is geothermal energy (just recently heard about it)?

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Things have changed for the better with geothermal, but not much. The technology is more refined and there is more competition between suppliers/installers.

A geothermal system still costs more than double a conventional system, plus wells ($3k each x 2 wells per 3 tons) and payback/break-even point is still close to the end-of-life for many parts.

You still have to have space for the wells, as well as space to isolate the geothermal exchange wells from the potable water well, septic areas and any lot line setbacks.

We ARE doing more and more of these systems on upscale homes though, and they still save a LOT of money in monthly operating costs as energy costs have spiked lately.

Were I building new or replacing an entire system now, I'd still want to go with a high-efficiency heat pump system with a gas-fired furnace for backup heat. My age has some bearing on this, since I doubt I'd live long enough to see any return. If energy costs keep going up, this dynamic WILL change and when payback comes sooner, it will make more sense to go geothermal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Until there are VRF geothermal units I’d recommend a super high end air/air VRF over geothermal.

Once the 2 technologies are combined, they will be killer.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Until there are VRF geothermal units I’d recommend a super high end air/air VRF over geothermal.

Once the 2 technologies are combined, they will be killer.
    Ummm.... There are already VRF geothermal units and have been for close to 10 years. Waterfurnace 7 series and the Climate Master Trilogy are two I am familiar with.

I LOVE my geothermal. This is our second house with geothermal. Family of 4, our monthly utility bill (100% electric) on a 2950 sq. Ft. house with an attached climate controlled 700 sq. ft. garage is $150 (summer) to $250 (winter) and about half of that is my Tesla EV. We have dual-zone water to air units and desuperheater for domestic hot water generation.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Ummm.... There are already VRF geothermal units and have been for close to 10 years. Waterfurnace 7 series

Yes, I have a Waterfurnace 7 series, 8 years old. The system is constantly adjusting it's heating/cooling needs as well.as the fan speed to meet demand. Highly efficient and I am happy with it's performance.

I also chose to have a pellet stove in my family room that serves as my "emergency" heat so I never have the resistive heating in use.

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    I'd probably consider looking into better insulation and addressing any deficiencies on that front, coupled with a higher SEER unit. I'd expect less upfront cost, some decrease in monthly, and improvement in overall comfort.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I want a Matrix where I farm humans for energy. How much real estate do you have to have for something like that?

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Geothermal- about 3-4 year until you get investment back (savings on heating and cooling). Back up wood stove for hot heat (geothermal heat is continuous and warm, not a hot blast intermittently like an oil burner). So after the years above, rest is free money. Very good systems- make sure right size unit and loops for your house. Hooks into existing forced air duct work. Not hot enough for radiant heat. Also, warm air from geothermal not so drying in the winter as opposed to blasts of hot air fro oil or gas burner.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Geothermal can work fine for underfloor radiant heat. My brother put it in his house and all you can tell is that the house is comfortable all winter.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The CCP says those are just rumors started by racist hate mongers paid by the CIA.
    Just a rumor. Han Chinese love Uyghurs so much they move in and live with them and help their children learn Chinese and Confucianism .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom