• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Decided to add one to my Glock pile. But which one? Is the grip without any backstrap on the gen4 smaller than a gen3 sf? I have smaller framed hands so that might be the deciding factor..

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The only advantage to the G21SF Gen4, is if you have REALLY big hands, and want the 'large' backstrap insert.

IF that's the case. . . . don't get the SF model. Get the 'standard' G21.

Yes, that's my 2¢ worth, for free. :D

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I got the Gen4 G21 with my 2011 Glock A Day voucher and without the backstrap it feels the same as a G21SF. Basically it comes down to price. Price being equal I'd get the Gen4 just for the improved magazine release. If the price is different get the cheaper one.

To that end I threw away all the backstraps because the backstrap system is stupid, especially on the G21/G20 frame. Seriously Glock, who wrote to you and said "Hey, you know how people have always complained that the original G21 was too bulky? Can you make it even bigger?"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It means short frame. The grip is shorter from front strap to back strap by 3mm. Gen 4 have removable baclsraps so Gen 4 's do not get the SF name. Only Gen 3.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm probably going to do a review/comparison thread today, but since you asked, here is something I posted in another G21 Gen 4 thread. Summary is, I like the Gen 4 over the G21 SF for the slightly more aggressive grip texture, and larger magazine release. Both help with such a large gun.

--

Gen 3 G21: HUGE. Need giant hands to be comfortable. Well, maybe not giant hands.....a lot of people like them. But too big for me.

G21 SF: Solves the size problem. Many say they can't feel the difference between the G21 SF and regular version. Well, I can definitely feel it, especially when firing. It makes a difference (to me.) However, its still a thick gun. It's a double stack 45, they can only make it so thin. What I'm getting at, is that unless you have giant hands its still not comfortable to reach the magazine release unless you rotate the gun in your hand. Also, traction comes into play. I find that the better the traction the better recoil management I have, particularly during rapid fire. IMO its even more of an issue with a bigger gun if you can't get your hands around it.

G21 SF RTF2: I thought this would be my holy grail. Grip size I want, Gen 3 parts/track record, aggressive texture. Well, then I held one. No doubt it would have been better for me than the G21 SF or regular G21. The texture however, FOR ME, was too aggressive. Especially if carrying IWB without and undershirt (not that many people would with this gun.) I had a feeling after 100 rounds I might be rubbed raw, and it still didn't solve the problem with reaching magazine release.

GEN 4 G21: Thin, more aggressive texturing than the Gen 3 but less than the RTF, improved magazine release. Win.

I will do a full write up with pics and everything in a couple days once I get my new sights installed.

Again these are just my opinions. I had a regular G21 Gen 3 and it was dead nuts reliable, and I shot it better than any other centerfire handgun I had. I just wanted something a little bit smaller...for ME. Many people actually prefer the bigger grip of the regular 21.

Also you are welcome to shoot it. I shoot at On Target usually (Delmarva sometimes)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    personally i don't think the adj backstraps are that big of a deal. but i'd get the gen 4 solely due to the textured grip. but i didn't feel like waiting so i did get the gen 3 g20sf back in the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom