• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdoug27

May 18, 2013
    Hello, has anyone had any experience hunting geese with a bow? Dining i have seen on the yv and would like to try one day.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    This is second hand from my friends that hunt, but here goes:
    You have to use a vertical bow for waterfowl, no crossbows (Page 18 of the DNR book confirms this). It is legal to shoot the bird on the ground or in the air, though in the air you best use a Flu-Flu for safety. Use broad-heads of course. There was some confusion over shot placement when on the ground. One suggested shooting the bird through the chest from the front, while another said to shoot from the side to pin its wings if the shot isn't not immediately fatal.

If I'm not mistaken you need both a state and fed tax stamp to shoot them.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Franklin, it sounds like you've had some success?!

I've tried wingshooting with traditional equipment and have yet to connect.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I have done it. I have shot them on an old friend's pond. I did body shots. They would duck their heads when I went for a head shot. I took a fishing rod with me. Shoot goose, retrieve with large topwater lure. If the shot was a total pass through, I would then use the lure to retrieve the arrow. I used the same philosophy I use for turkey hunting. Pin the wing or damage enough so they can't fly away while they bleed out.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Franklin, it sounds like you've had some success?!

I've tried wingshooting with traditional equipment and have yet to connect.

I have only hit one on the fly. The couple times i have done it,i wait for them to back pedal a couple feet off the ground.

It takes 2 people but a good way to practice is fill up a old soccer or volley ball with non expanding foam and roll it cross ways and shoot at it. once you get consistent on the ground, start throwing it across in the air. you can also use foam discs to throw up to simulate one in the air back pedaling. its an expensive way to hunt though, arrows get pricey if you loose alot....But one of the funnest ways too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom