• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I have been looking for a couple masks to put in my bugout collection. I didn't realize they were so expensive! I looked at "Mira" brand. I am not looking to pay $400 each for these. Anything I can get for more like around $100 with the filter canister?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    PPE is one thing I never go cheap on. When you need it to work, you really need it work. Buying questionable quality is worse than having none at all because it gives a false sense of security. Like EDCing a Lorcin.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There are some made in the USA masks on Amazon that take the 40mm filters and then you can get non-expired Israeli filters for ~$45.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Understanding that my gas masks have all been provided by work, my experience is that getting a properly fitted one is a challenge and they have a short shelf life. If you're looking for riot control level, that's one thing. If you're looking for CBRN, that's different.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Understanding that my gas masks have all been provided by work, my experience is that getting a properly fitted one is a challenge and they have a short shelf life. If you're looking for riot control level, that's one thing. If you're looking for CBRN, that's different.

Realistically, if there comes a time that I need to use the gas-mask, I suspect my end is very near. Same for a radiation suit. Just extra insurance.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Realistically, if there comes a time that I need to use the gas-mask, I suspect my end is very near. Same for a radiation suit. Just extra insurance.
    Valid and I tend to agree. My favorite prepper friend spent enough to keep SCBA equipment. Oddly enough he doesn't own a firearm and has no real plan after the canned goods run out.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Valid and I tend to agree. My favorite prepper friend spent enough to keep SCBA equipment. Oddly enough he doesn't own a firearm and has no real plan after the canned goods run out.
    Have you pointed out to him that the canned goods run out the day he runs into a guy with a firearm?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    During my first deployment (03-04), we fell in on what used to be a hospital. There was a room full of junk. I found a few in box video games that gave me hours of fun and I found a fully packaged US issue gas mask with (at the time) fresh filter. I never bothered to get another filter because I don't have a MOPP suit to go with it nor would I have the supplies for sustained duration in MOPP 4 and frankly I wouldn't want to. I'd eat my gun at that point. But at least, I know that fits and how to fit it. Got the hood for it too. Now, I don't have any Mark 1 kits either though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom