• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'm also a lefty, but I've never been okay with the idea of my face being right next to the ejection port. (and it helps that I'm right eye dominate)
    I think it’s important to be able to shoot strong and weak side with a rifle at least, but I am left eye dominant so I shoot left handed unless I’m training weak side.

NoahNoahNoah

Oct 29, 2020
    Someone makes a forward assist that diverts has down away from the face. Maybe try that out with SD charging handle. Or just go OSS and sacrifice flash signature for less gas in your face.

teppou

Jan 20, 2014
    One other thing you could try is the Bootleg adjustable carrier. I tried it the other day and was impressed with suppressed and unsuppressed settings.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I’m mainly getting the gas from the chamber since I shoot left handed. I’ve got a Griffin Recce 5 and normally just shoot 55 grain Winchester. Right now I’m indoors (which doesn’t help) and go about once or twice a month.
    This is key, a good handle will keep gas from hitting you from the gaps in the receiver, but nothing from the gas being vented out of the BCG through the ejection port. The only way to cut that is by reducing gas in the system. Might be an issue with reliability, but a lighter BCG/buffer will cycle with less gas. I crank the gas on one of my 3 gun rifles down and run it suppressed with a 1oz carbine buffer (3 aluminum weights) and lightweight BCG, and it is extremely pleasant to shoot, very little gas needed to cycle and nothing to the face. Might also be able to make or find some type of 9mm gas shield to further deflect gas from the port. Otherwise this is one case where a piston gun might be a better option being it vents gas under the handguard not the ejection port.

This might be the simplest solution, clamp a brass deflector on when shooting suppressed, will probably help:
    https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/brassdeflector-ft/

Last edited:

woodline

MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    One other thing you could try is the Bootleg adjustable carrier. I tried it the other day and was impressed with suppressed and unsuppressed settings.
    The problem with adjustable carriers is that they create a high pressure jet of gas out of the port, taking the concept of “port pop” to a whole new level. Remember that you hypothetically purchased a suppressor to reduce your sound and/or flash signature. At some point you’re defeating the purpose of using a suppressor in the first place, and doing it in a way that can more than double the sound pressure level coming out of the action.

Some people don’t care, I do.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    As a left too, once upon a time - I was annoyed at all the gas in the face. It's an instant turn off. For me, the answer came with an adjustable gas block (my preference SLR). Both Sico and Radian makes a silencer optimized charging handles, and I have Radians in several rifles - and maybe they assist, but the adjustable gas block was paramount. If properly tuned is still too much, look into piston options (versus DI). Best of luck..

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    He is a left so probably a lot of gas coming through the ejection port?

SkiPatrolDude

Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have a DD Mk18 that I run dedicated suppressed (SilencerCo Saker 556).

I use a Spikes STT3 buffer, Sprinco White buffer spring (for longevity), and a Radian Raptor SD gas busting charging handle.

The buffer made the biggest difference, as it ensured proper bolt lock-time and kept excessive gas from exiting the ejection port.

The gas busting charging handles I feel are largely smoke and mirrors, but it looks cool and that's all that matters right? They are excellent ambi charging handles but that's about it. Most of the gas blowback you are experiencing is getting thrown out of the ejection port.

No matter what, you're going to get gas to your face as a lefty with this set up, but with the right buffer set up you should be able to make it manageable.

Also - as others have suggested getting an adjustable block.... i would absolutely NOT trade that beautifully pinned DD gas block with an AGB. Blasphemy!

By the sound of it, it looks like you've already frankensteined your factory DD upper, so if you really want to mitigate the issue, I'd look to getting a Stag arms left handed AR (or lefty lower and upper). You'd need to get a new bolt as well but that would probably solve your issue.

Also, if you are rocking "nose to charging handle", try increasing your length of pull a bit.

woodline

MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Adjustable gas block, VLTOR A5 and Raptor SD charging handle. No gas to the face at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s my setup for a 10.5” upper. Doesn’t get gassy unless I start mag dumping magazines, which is pointless.

lazarus

Jun 23, 2015
    Silicone and a carbide burr work fine for sealing the charging handle to the extent possible but OP is a southpaw. The port discharge is probably most of his issue. I'm a righty and I hate short, suppressed, DI guns enough that I went to a POF piston 9" for close work.

OP can try the bleed off gas block but there's just no way to degas a short DI gun. It's part of the package. Like running an mp5sd, it's cool but not a lot of fun.
    So far none of my ARs have bothered me with gas. Suppressed or not. Except the 10.5” pistol I had for awhile till I got rid of the upper. Never tried a can on it, but it was obnoxiously gassy. It wasn’t too bad, but if I had a breeze back towards me or shooting strings rather than slow single shots it would get my eyes watering.

Of note though, I haven’t tried a can on my 16” .223 wylde yet. But my mid length and rifle length -15 and -10 in various calibers Don’t present any gas problems even suppressed.

But I am also not a south paw.

BeachLiving2021

Dec 14, 2021
    I just bought a Bootleg adjustable carrier but haven’t brought it out to shoot on my DD Mk18 yet. Raptor SD charging handle helped a little bit but was pretty minimal. As a lefty I’m fully prepared to be screwed absent going to a piston upper

inkd

Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I just bought a Bootleg adjustable carrier but haven’t brought it out to shoot on my DD Mk18 yet. Raptor SD charging handle helped a little bit but was pretty minimal. As a lefty I’m fully prepared to be screwed absent going to a piston upper
    Go to a Stag lefty upper. That's what I have on my dedicated suppressed rifles.

inkd

Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I’ll take a look at that thanks
    On my right handed upper, the adjustable gas blocks have made it pretty good to shoot suppressed. If I was doing it over, I'd probably play with sprinco springs and buffer weights to see if I could achieve the same results.

You can get a stripped lefty Stag upper and transfer all your Daniel Defense parts over to it. You would just need a lefty BCG. Stag has them all on sale pretty often. One thing to be aware of, Stag barrels come with ambidextrous barrel extensions. The barrel extensions are beveled to ease the force needed to unlock and rotate the bolt. Stag barrel extensions are beveled on both sides. Most manufacturers use a right handed extension. When you have a lefty bolt operating in a right hand extension, you're gonna have increased wear on the bolt until it all breaks in. I would try to buy an extra bolt, uf you go that route.

BeachLiving2021

Dec 14, 2021
    On my right handed upper, the adjustable gas blocks have made it pretty good to shoot suppressed. If I was doing it over, I'd probably play with sprinco springs and buffer weights to see if I could achieve the same results.

You can get a stripped lefty Stag upper and transfer all your Daniel Defense parts over to it. You would just need a lefty BCG. Stag has them all on sale pretty often. One thing to be aware of, Stag barrels come with ambidextrous barrel extensions. The barrel extensions are beveled to ease the force needed to unlock and rotate the bolt. Stag barrel extensions are beveled on both sides. Most manufacturers use a right handed extension. When you have a lefty bolt operating in a right hand extension, you're gonna have increased wear on the bolt until it all breaks in. I would try to buy an extra bolt, uf you go that route.
    Good to know. I just dropped $200 on the BCG so I’m gonna give it a go and see how manageable at is, but I’m glad us lefties are getting some options. I guess I could always switch to RH considering I’m right eye dominant but that’s a discussion for another time

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    akerr14

Latest threads

Top Bottom