• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Awill288

Dec 17, 2020
    Hey!

I’ve got a DD MK18 pistol that I have just started running suppressed. I am a lefty and am getting a good bit of gas back in the face when I shoot, to the point of not being able to fire five rounds without my eyes watering. I have tried different buffer weights and springs as well as an adjustable gas block. None seem to help. Any suggestions or should I sell for a different setup with maybe a mid-length gas system? Thanks!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Silicone and a carbide burr work fine for sealing the charging handle to the extent possible but OP is a southpaw. The port discharge is probably most of his issue. I'm a righty and I hate short, suppressed, DI guns enough that I went to a POF piston 9" for close work.

OP can try the bleed off gas block but there's just no way to degas a short DI gun. It's part of the package. Like running an mp5sd, it's cool but not a lot of fun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you tried one. I’ve been thinking about getting one.

I put one on my daughter's build. It's almost done. I'm still waiting on a QD muzzle device.

I've not been bothered by gas much, but I'm not shooting high volume strings either. More like doubles and maybe 5 shot strings. Plus, I'm right handed. Also, I'm used to breathing noxious fumes from my occupation, so I have developed a decent tollarence for it.

Awill288

Dec 17, 2020
    Thanks for all of y’all’s responses! Would it be the worst thing if I kept it tuned for suppressor use if I always plan to keep it suppressed, even if it won’t cycle without the suppressor?

Awill288

Dec 17, 2020
    Silicone and a carbide burr work fine for sealing the charging handle to the extent possible but OP is a southpaw. The port discharge is probably most of his issue. I'm a righty and I hate short, suppressed, DI guns enough that I went to a POF piston 9" for close work.

OP can try the bleed off gas block but there's just no way to degas a short DI gun. It's part of the package. Like running an mp5sd, it's cool but not a lot of fun.
    Looking cool is the most important thing, even if it means you can’t see because of the gas lol

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I remember shooting a factory suppressed MP5…it put the gasses right in your face.
    Yep....one of the classic gags (pun intended) was to give the fresh boot an SD and make them shoot zipper drills indoors. Take bets on how long it takes them to puke.

And looking cool is fine, until things are flying both ways. Then it's all about the bestest, mostest, fastest.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Yep....one of the classic gags (pun intended) was to give the fresh boot an SD and make them shoot zipper drills indoors. Take bets on how long it takes them to puke.

And looking cool is fine, until things are flying both ways. Then it's all about the bestest, mostest, fastest.

A bit of thread drift…when I attended Submachine Gun instructor school, everyone was anxious to get on the range after classroom instruction to put the knowledge to use.

When on the line the lead instructor had us load up full mags minus two rounds. He gave the instruction that when we heard the whistle we were to squeeze the trigger and hold it back until the bolt locked back on an empty chamber and magazine.

We all just looked at each other with a WTF expression but did as we were told.

At the end, when the smoke cleared and we all had big smiles the instructor said…”That’s what’s called ‘Ballistic Masturbation’…now you’re going to learn how to do it right!”

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I remember shooting a factory suppressed MP5…it put the gasses right in your face.
    I know everyone swoons over the MP5SD, but I hate it. Every single time I get stuck training with one pisses me off. They are so miserable to shoot southpaw.

To the OP: the MK18 is tough to suppress well, but RTV sealant on your charging handle will help. What suppressor are you using? What ammo do you normally shoot? Do you shoot indoors or outdoors? How much do you shoot in a typical range day or training session?

Awill288

Dec 17, 2020
    I know everyone swoons over the MP5SD, but I hate it. Every single time I get stuck training with one pisses me off. They are so miserable to shoot southpaw.

To the OP: the MK18 is tough to suppress well, but RTV sealant on your charging handle will help. What suppressor are you using? What ammo do you normally shoot? Do you shoot indoors or outdoors? How much do you shoot in a typical range day or training session?
    I’m mainly getting the gas from the chamber since I shoot left handed. I’ve got a Griffin Recce 5 and normally just shoot 55 grain Winchester. Right now I’m indoors (which doesn’t help) and go about once or twice a month.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I'm also a lefty, but I've never been okay with the idea of my face being right next to the ejection port. (and it helps that I'm right eye dominate)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I’m mainly getting the gas from the chamber since I shoot left handed. I’ve got a Griffin Recce 5 and normally just shoot 55 grain Winchester. Right now I’m indoors (which doesn’t help) and go about once or twice a month.
    Do you know which version of the Recce 5 you have? The most recent version, the Recce 4, has significantly reduced back pressure vs earlier models. If you do have an earlier model, then griffin will do an upgrade for $275.

As far as gas from the chamber goes, I’m familiar, left hand shooter as well. My 10.5” has a YHM turbo Gen 1 mounted, which has a lot of back pressure. I have my superlative arms gas block 7 clicks out and it’ll function suppressed or unsuppressed with M193 without gassing me out unless I mag dump it. Normal training cadence is fine. I mostly shoot outdoors though. I am running a VLTOR A5 length buffer tube. I can’t recall what I was using previously, maybe an A5H2 with a JP spring. Now I have a kynshot 9mm hydraulic buffer with tubb 5.56 flatwire spring, but that is just because I swap the 5.56 upper out with a CMMG 9mm upper and want to be able to run both without changing anything in the lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom