• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The next one I build will either be the self watering type with the rocks and pipe or at least have a few corrugated pipes with the opening at the ends to fill up from rain barrels. Would be easier for me to stand at the ends and water by filling the pipes in summer.

Hope you get a good yield with the new beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Anybody use a weed barrier landscape fabric in their garden that they recommend? I think I might make weed control easy on myself this year.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Anybody use a weed barrier landscape fabric in their garden that they recommend? I think I might make weed control easy on myself this year.
    Don't use the Preen/other brands of woven landscape fabric. Weeds will still root into/through it (ask me how I know).

I'd look for the greenhouse stuff that almost looks like canvas tarp material in black.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Giving fruit trees a try (Again)
    I have heavy clay soil (Calvert Co.),, I tried digging 5' dia by 30" deep hole and filling with good soil,, all 3 trees died.
    I finally found some 36" round culvert pipe. I plan on cutting it into 12-18" long "rings" for raised beds.
    Should I till in top soil in the general area before placing the rings and filling them with good top soil? (I have a tractor, BH, and 4' tiller.
    Dwarf? Semi Dwarf?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have heavy clay soil (Calvert Co.),, I tried digging 5' dia by 30" deep hole and filling with good soil,, all 3 trees died.
    I finally found some 36" round culvert pipe. I plan on cutting it into 12-18" long "rings" for raised beds.
    Should I till in top soil in the general area before placing the rings and filling them with good top soil? (I have a tractor, BH, and 4' tiller.
    Dwarf? Semi Dwarf?
    use soil conditioner with current soil also helps

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    Dwarf? Semi Dwarf?
    Where the heck are you in Calvert with clay soil? I'm in Dunkirk on my wife's family farm they planted tobacco for 60 years or so til they took the buyout in 2001. Tobacco grew best in sandy soil, that's what's here and most of Calvert.

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Been growing stuff in containers on our deck past 3 years or so with medium to good luck. Being 8' off the ground helps with the deer. Really like the grow bags and planted peas yesterday for the first time.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I'm trying a layer or two of cardboard with mulch on top this year for weed control. I second the idea of a good thick landscape fabric if you do go that route though. Greenhouse megastore online has been good to me for supplies.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Where the heck are you in Calvert with clay soil? I'm in Dunkirk on my wife's family farm they planted tobacco for 60 years or so til they took the buyout in 2001. Tobacco grew best in sandy soil, that's what's here and most of Calvert.
    We had sandy soil in Prince Frederick...but down the hill in a creek bed it was clay. Found some seashells in mud...

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We do and still use mulch. Help the garden and provides organic future material in the soil in years to come. We did use plastic before, but it didn't rotate well and seemed expense for larger gardens.

Used to be able to get Asplundh or excel to dump a load of wood chips and use them around plants and till or cultivate the rest. Since everyone needed chickens, it went from trying to not get them to leave three loads at once to hardly even getting them to ever drop one off now.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'm trying a layer or two of cardboard with mulch on top this year for weed control. I second the idea of a good thick landscape fabric if you do go that route though. Greenhouse megastore online has been good to me for supplies.
    Cardboard is a great idea!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Card board is great because its free and your recycling it into you garden. I've done the fabric and plastic and it works. It is just hard to reuse and rotate your crops.

I ran the cultivator yesterday and tore up the entire top inch of the garden and killed all the weeds. They were getting on bad last year trying to do it by hand and getting tennis elbow. Even in the neighbors garden I have 2 runs of 3 cattle panels for upright trellis for tomatoes and beans. Annual grass took it over last year. The cultivator tore all that right out. mud and grass clogged it up three times, but pulled the pins and the disks and it all slide right off. I have to let the lower gear box cool if I run it for an hour. Then chill with the dogs and have two beers while the machine is recovering.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Mid Calvert,, Home site is just above a creek bottom.
    When I perked the property (it was all wooded),, 1st hole: 2-3 inches topsoil, 40' of clay,, move 200 feet, 12-14 foot of clay then good sand.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    So thoughts on bio-char? Snake oil? Seems interesting, was thinking of adding to my new beds. Pre charged off course

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    I put up tobacco sticks (we have 10,000) or any stick and just 1 string around the garden about 3 to 4 feet off the ground works pretty well for the deer also if you plant marigolds deer do not like the smell and stay away

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I put up tobacco sticks (we have 10,000) or any stick and just 1 string around the garden about 3 to 4 feet off the ground works pretty well for the deer also if you plant marigolds deer do not like the smell and stay away
    My neighbor has a 4' 2x4 fence and the deer just jumped it and eat everything. I put sticks up every third post and wrapped mason twine 2' higher to keep them from jumping it. I watch buck routinely jump a 4' fence like it is nothing while hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom