• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Got brave and tried a Carolina reaper from our garden. I tried and end piece and nothing. Sliced a piece a touched it to my tongue and its hot!!! Made some finadene with a quarter piece. I can add more if i need to

Attachments

• 20220818_202023.jpg
      20220818_202023.jpg
      351.9 KB · Views: 84
    • 20220820_151001.jpg
      20220820_151001.jpg
      328.9 KB · Views: 91
    • 20220820_155605.jpg
      20220820_155605.jpg
      417.6 KB · Views: 87

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Spinach broccoli kale lettuce collard Swiss chard cabbage bok Choi and one more run of tomatoes

I turn like 80 percent of my garden over each season. Costs a lot of organic fertilizer.
    This was the first year I tried growing swiss chard. It never failed in the heat, just keeps right on producing green leafy goodness.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Got brave and tried a Carolina reaper from our garden. I tried and end piece and nothing. Sliced a piece a touched it to my tongue and its hot!!! Made some finadene with a quarter piece. I can add more if i need to

I grew them two years ago I think.. They grow well and I think I used max 15 for sauces. Lol.

Bad part was I let the plant dry out and when I raked in spring I kicked up some dry dust and pepper sprayed myself. Was pretty bad actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County

I grew them two years ago I think.. They grow well and I think I used max 15 for sauces. Lol.

Bad part was I let the plant dry out and when I raked in spring I kicked up some dry dust and pepper sprayed myself. Was pretty bad actually.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Spinach broccoli kale lettuce collard Swiss chard cabbage bok Choi and one more run of tomatoes

I turn like 80 percent of my garden over each season. Costs a lot of organic fertilizer.
    When would you suggest starting the fall planting? I'm looking at finally starting a small garden and might as well start with a fall batch instead waiting until next year.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    When would you suggest starting the fall planting? I'm looking at finally starting a small garden and might as well start with a fall batch instead waiting until next year.
    For spinach Swiss chard pok Choi and lettuce I would start now. Collards cabbage and broccoli if you haven’t started already you may need to buy transplants from a greenhouse or Home Depot.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Pulled my reapers, late season corn is looking good, some is ready to pick

Attachments

• 20220925_190859.jpg
      20220925_190859.jpg
      495.9 KB · Views: 72
    • 20220925_184827.jpg
      20220925_184827.jpg
      702.9 KB · Views: 72
    • 20220925_184355.jpg
      20220925_184355.jpg
      782.9 KB · Views: 72
    • 20220925_175941.jpg
      20220925_175941.jpg
      250.4 KB · Views: 69

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm still picking okra and peppers every day. The very last of the cherry tomatoes I should probably pick tomorrow. I think I'll pickle everything from here out. Also took 1st at the county fair with my poblanos and 4th in habaneros and basil.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Not sure there is much you can do. Last year my cherry toms quit by now from the dryness. This year with the rain they over grew the top of my 8' trellis and coming back down like a bush. Even with the size of it, I am getting only a few right now with the colder days and nights. I chop them with olives, pepperoni over a pound of elbow macaroni and full bottle of wish Italian dressing. I eat that for a month or two every year.

I planted Poblano and Anaheim peppers to try them out this year. Anaheim's were planted for my daughter as she doesn't like much spice. So far I have gotten a few huge banana like green peppers. Noting for heat at all and taste like an unripe green pepper. Trying to let some sit and see if taste develops and maybe some heat. The Poblano pepper are 4' tall like a tree and just starting to grow peppers. I am starting to wonder if I will be able to try one before the first frost.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Not sure there is much you can do. Last year my cherry toms quit by now from the dryness. This year with the rain they over grew the top of my 8' trellis and coming back down like a bush. Even with the size of it, I am getting only a few right now with the colder days and nights. I chop them with olives, pepperoni over a pound of elbow macaroni and full bottle of wish Italian dressing. I eat that for a month or two every year.

I planted Poblano and Anaheim peppers to try them out this year. Anaheim's were planted for my daughter as she doesn't like much spice. So far I have gotten a few huge banana like green peppers. Noting for heat at all and taste like an unripe green pepper. Trying to let some sit and see if taste develops and maybe some heat. The Poblano pepper are 4' tall like a tree and just starting to grow peppers. I am starting to wonder if I will be able to try one before the first frost.
    Marconi peppers are really good, try those next year. Ours were about 8-10" sweet flavor but not same flavor as bell.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    Do you guys have problems with blight? We had ok harvest of tomatos but im pretty sure blight got the plants. Any recommendations?
    All of my tomatoes during the heat in July started showing yellow spotted leaves and started dying from the bottom up. I applied 3 applications of Daconil 2 weeks apart. This curbed the fungus and saved my tomatoes. I am still picking and my plants are loaded with green tomatoes.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Once again, I could not stop the vine borrowers from killing my zucchini and squash plants. I hit them with sevin several times in May and June but they still died in july/August. Only got a couple each. Only 1 eggplant.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Once again, I could not stop the vine borrowers from killing my zucchini and squash plants. I hit them with sevin several times in May and June but they still died in july/August. Only got a couple each. Only 1 eggplant.
    With a spade shovel carefully dig around 1/3 to 1/2 the plants root area. Just place and shove and wiggle. The plant senses this and starts to ripen the fruit.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Protect your tomatoes from any early frosts and they will keep going slowly. When you are going to get a hard frost pick all the tomatoes, any almost ripe will finish on the kitchen counter. Take the green ones and turn them into Green Tomato Pickle plenty of recipes on the web.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Protect your tomatoes from any early frosts and they will keep going slowly. When you are going to get a hard frost pick all the tomatoes, any almost ripe will finish on the kitchen counter. Take the green ones and turn them into Green Tomato Pickle plenty of recipes on the web.
    I looked around and saw a couple handfuls of red cherry tomatoes towards the base of one plant. They were delicious.

Hoping the rest come around. Will keep an eye on the frost warnings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom