Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I like deal with member..
    wat.jpg

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Sowed in a 50x30 patch of sweet corn. Have never done it before should be fun. Will we doing another equal size patch in 3 weeks just to spread out harvest.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Has anyone ever planted swiss chard before? I started mine from seedlings a few weeks ago and they're going gangbusters compared to everything else.

I figured I'd give them a try this year instead of spinach and kale since they're more heat tolerant.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Has anyone ever planted swiss chard before? I started mine from seedlings a few weeks ago and they're going gangbusters compared to everything else.

I figured I'd give them a try this year instead of spinach and kale since they're more heat tolerant.
    Yes. Always does well for us. Better than spinach or kale. We plant a bunch and just selectively harvest a couple of leaves from each. Slows down in the heat of summer but then we can usually harvest again all the way through December

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I'm putting the finishing touches on my above ground garden. I have decided to try the fabric 7 gal. pots this year. I have 10 of them. 4 for peppers, 2 tomatoes, 2 eggplants, a strawberry, and some basil. I may add some more. Anyone using the fabric pots for veggies? What do you think of them? Also, I have never grown eggplants before. Who is growing them and anything you can tell me as a novice that I should know?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Our asparagus bed is going nuts. This is just about half of what we get daily.

Attachments

• 5CF765E3-A30B-4D2C-94B2-805473B4BB75.jpeg
      5CF765E3-A30B-4D2C-94B2-805473B4BB75.jpeg
      530.3 KB · Views: 51

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Also, I have never grown eggplants before. Who is growing them and anything you can tell me as a novice that I should know?
    I've grown eggplants a couple years now. I grow them right alongside the peppers and use the same little cages as I do for the peppers. Nothing really unique that I can recall about growing them.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Our asparagus bed is going nuts. This is just about half of what we get daily.
    Very nice I have the same thing going on. I have Purple Passion and Mary Washington. My asparagus bed is 5 years old now. Perennial veggies are great to have around.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    More work on the parallel society today. Fence up 3/4 of the way, potatoes, tomatoes peppers and others in the ground. It felt good to work the earth.

Attachments

• garden-2022-05-15.jpg
      garden-2022-05-15.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 56

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Put in a bunch of seeds this weekend.
    1# of Sliver Queen corn
    11 rows of Okra about 20'
    3 2' wide broadcast rows of beets for me neighbors and some for us about 20' long.
    5 20 yard rows for bush beans. Daughter wants to can them. We shall see if she does.
    6 rows of swiss chard plant in three row runs. Three rows about 9" apart and then the two three row runs 2' apart. Hoping for tight clusters to keep weds down with a aisle for picking.
    Pickling cucumbers on bend fence trellises.

Also got 48 paste tomatoes, 12 big boys, 24 bell peppers, 8 or so Jalapeno, egg plant still in seed trays, just dropped seeds last week for Poblano and Anaheim peppers I want to try.

Also got an old cattle panel that was rotting bent like an A and trying blue lake pole beans on it. I detest the crab walk picking beans now being over 50. Thinking of 6 cattle panels on poles to switch them and sauce tomatoes around for rotations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom