• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rregdab

Feb 25, 2013
    West Frederick County MD
    I need some advice on developing a load for my Garand. I’ll be using H4895, No34 primers and Sierra 155gr MK bullets ‘cause that’s what I have…

My manual recommends a starting load of 46gr.

My planned approach is to load one with 43.5gr (approx 5% below min) fill a clip with it on top, take it out back and let her rip to see if it properly cycles. If it does, load 8 at that level and if they all cycle stop at 43.5 and go with that. If any problems, up the load to 4% below min and repeat the trials. Keep increasing the load until all 9 cycle.

Does this sound life a reasonable approach? I’d appreciate any constructive input.
    Thanks

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Reasonable but you will waste a lot of bullets. I usually load 3-5 per charge and check them for pressure and move to the next step. At the starting loads I typically only load 1/2 as they will likely not be where you find your accuracy and I load 1/2 to test for pressure and cycling.

Take a bunch of targets and find the load that works best for your rifle. If I had a guess it would be somewhere between 46.5-47.5. As always work up your own load.

To save yourself some money keep an eye out for nosler custom comps in 155 they are cheaper and all my garands and 1903A3 love them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Normally, you should not start below the minimum loads listed. They are minimum for a reason.

That said, the minimum load differs from manual to manual, so it can't be that hard set.

You might want to join or at least look over on the CMP forums, where the discuss a LOT of Garand stuff.

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

It seems the loads are in the 46 - 49 grain range for 150-155 range bullets.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I shot 46 gr. of H 4895 on 150 gr. Hornady FMJ BT bullets.
    Works fine on my Garand, 1903A3, 1917, and my BAR.

Chris

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You have to be careful you are using Garand data and not commercial 30-06 data, especially if you are reloading thicker(less volume/higher pressure) military brass. Hornady has a range of 43.2-46.4 with H4895 in the Garand section under 150-155gr bullets. It's one of the more popular powders, so lots of data, some have up to a 48gr max for garand loads and that's the limit of what I would even try(commercial 30-06 data can have a max over 50gr). The original M2 ball ammo was about 2750-2800fps with a 150gr FMJ in LC brass, 46.5gr of H4895 matches that for me with a CCI LR primer, functions perfect, and is about as accurate as I can get.

Rregdab

Feb 25, 2013
    West Frederick County MD
    Reasonable but you will waste a lot of bullets. I usually load 3-5 per charge and check them for pressure and move to the next step. At the starting loads I typically only load 1/2 as they will likely not be where you find your accuracy and I load 1/2 to test for pressure and cycling.

Take a bunch of targets and find the load that works best for your rifle. If I had a guess it would be somewhere between 46.5-47.5. As always work up your own load.

To save yourself some money keep an eye out for nosler custom comps in 155 they are cheaper and all my garands and 1903A3 love them.

Yea, lot of wasted high end bullets. I'm a "show me the data" guy but 3-5 will be sufficient.
    I see that MidSouth has the Nosler 155 CCs in stock.

Why not get a "single load enhancement device" (SLED) for your Garand?

Interesting little device.

You have to be careful you are using Garand data and not commercial 30-06 data, especially if you are reloading thicker(less volume/higher pressure) military brass. Hornady has a range of 43.2-46.4 with H4895 in the Garand section under 150-155gr bullets. It's one of the more popular powders, so lots of data, some have up to a 48gr max for garand loads and that's the limit of what I would even try(commercial 30-06 data can have a max over 50gr). The original M2 ball ammo was about 2750-2800fps with a 150gr FMJ in LC brass, 46.5gr of H4895 matches that for me with a CCI LR primer, functions perfect, and is about as accurate as I can get.

Good info. Especially the Grand specific data which seems to validate my planned starting load.

Thanks folks.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Garand Load

Is that the load you use that doesn't fully cycle the action? "light load?"

"No", this is a service rifle load for 200,300,600 yards
    48g Varget with a 155 is the absolute Max for Garand.

I only use low velocity loads at 100 yards. I tried them at 200 and my accuracy dropped drastically.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom