• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    First round down range resulted in this photo.
    Shell ejected and bolt remained open and my heart sank.
    This is a Israeli pre-ban from Action Arms. 5,56/.223. Model 372.

Attachments

• P3090030.JPG
      P3090030.JPG
      310.2 KB · Views: 136

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've recently been digging through forums/etc looking for AK parts. That's not the first carrier I saw cracked there. I never knew it was a thing. Seems its rare but not unheard of.
    You could probably get it rewelded but it'll never be original. I know it will be tough (=expensive) to find another.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Sad to see. Fortunately spare carriers seem to be available:

Your rifle might be overgassed due to the gas port size, it might be worth it to invest in a KNS adjustable piston to vent the excess gas. The correct part number should be: AGP-A-18

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Sad to see. Fortunately spare carriers seem to be available:

Your rifle might be overgassed due to the gas port size, it might be worth it to invest in a KNS adjustable piston to vent the excess gas. The correct part number should be: AGP-A-18
    I have the refinished part on the way. Thank you.
    I am the original owner and purchased the rifle in 1987.
    I don't think it is an over gassed problem. Possibly over 10K rounds fired. Never had a failure of any kind with the Galil.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have the refinished part on the way. Thank you.
    I am the original owner and purchased the rifle in 1987.
    I don't think it is an over gassed problem. Possibly over 10K rounds fired. Never had a failure of any kind with the Galil.
    All Galils are horribly overgassed, which I tend to think of as a virtue for the most part. I was at AGC shooting in the middle of bay 2 with my ACE and putting spent shells in my bag on the right hand side table. My Galil SAR clone is similarly enthusiastic.

Put your old bolt into the new bolt carrier to retain proper headspace, and you should be good to go. I would personally not screw with a genuine pre-ban Galil more than I had to, given its relative worth.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    All Galils are horribly overgassed, which I tend to think of as a virtue for the most part. I was at AGC shooting in the middle of bay 2 with my ACE and putting spent shells in my bag on the right hand side table. My Galil SAR clone is similarly enthusiastic.

Put your old bolt into the new bolt carrier to retain proper headspace, and you should be good to go. I would personally not screw with a genuine pre-ban Galil more than I had to, given its relative worth.
    1987 price was $868 and now it is worth ?
    It remains in immaculate condition.
    It's an AGC attention getter.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    2nd on the KNS piston. Its worth not beating itself to death. Just save the orig parts in a bag somewhere. RTGparts has the A-18 for the lowest price I could find if thats the one you really need. I bought one a few weeks ago for my Valmet M78 but had to machine its head down as that gun uses an 11mm piston instead of the standard 14mm. The value of that gun is so high I'm trying not to let it beat itself to death. KNS piston, new Wolff spring, and a buffer seem to help a lot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1987 price was $868 and now it is worth ?
    It remains in immaculate condition.
    It's an AGC attention getter.
    $3000, if it's in excellent condition. Maybe more. Check Gunbroker.

I guess putting a KNS piston on the new carrier is less of a travesty than modding an original bolt carrier.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    KNS piston install should just be a roll pin on the Galil. 100% reversible.

Glad you were able to find a new carrier for reasonable money! I was honestly surprised at that. AK stuff has gone through the roof price wise and Galils are rarer than that. Though all those 5.56 parts kits were imported not too long ago. It is a cool rifle.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    KNS piston install should just be a roll pin on the Galil. 100% reversible.

Glad you were able to find a new carrier for reasonable money! I was honestly surprised at that. AK stuff has gone through the roof price wise and Galils are rarer than that. Though all those 5.56 parts kits were imported not too long ago. It is a cool rifle.
    Bolt carrier will arrive today.

Attachments

• Galil.jpg
      Galil.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 51

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88