• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Because of the ammo availability I have from work, most of my pistol buying is centered around .357 Sig. So, I am tired of getting beat up by the caliber at the range when I just want to fun shoot a couple hundred rounds. I have fired this before and the recoil is tamed a noticeable amount.
    I know ported barrels are not good due to the muzzle flash, in a confined area, could be detrimental to someone's face. I am not concerned about the whole muzzle flash at night argument, etc....

Does anyone have any long term exposure firing ported barrels specifically coming out of the holster, bent elbow position or pressing out shooting from the high ready?
    is this a somewhat negligible issue?

I know I will carry the pistol and god forbid have to use it. But if I do, I just know my training will kick in and from either of these positions, I don't wanna melt my gorgeous visage off. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Assuming you were only going to use this and didn't have another one laying around, you could shoot the ported barrel at the range and then toss a solid barrel in for defense. It would allow you to have more fun at the range without comp-blasting yourself in a compressed shooting position.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Assuming you were only going to use this and didn't have another one laying around, you could shoot the ported barrel at the range and then toss a solid barrel in for defense. It would allow you to have more fun at the range without comp-blasting yourself in a compressed shooting position.

Great idea! Totally slipped my mind. Thread can be closed now. :)

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    A .40 barrel would help keep the punishment and your ammo bill down.

EDIT - One other thing to consider: from experience with my G21C, don't shoot it at night (even with flash retardant powders) unless you don't need to see for the next couple minutes.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have seen a few G19Cs with carbon deposits so heavy on the inside of the slide, that it jammed up the works completely.

Be sure to clean it. Other than that I don't really know of any other issues with the C models.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Do you think a cant to the right, from a bent elbow shooting position would be sufficient enough to direct the upward blast semi safely away? I knownsomenlead could shred off the bullet through the port and go somewhere, but concern is the blast from that level/ angle.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Do you think a cant to the right, from a bent elbow shooting position would be sufficient enough to direct the upward blast semi safely away? I knownsomenlead could shred off the bullet through the port and go somewhere, but concern is the blast from that level/ angle.

I doubt that unless you had your hand/body/object directly over the ports that you'd be in any danger. Unless you're soaked in kerosene or something...

And if your life is truly in danger, would you take some hearing loss and possible powder burns or cuts from high-pressure gas over dying? I think the compensated Glock models get a lot of bad press. I don't personally like them but I'm sure they're fine in their intended role as defensive pistols.

Maybe you can e-mail MythBusters and see if they'll do something like when they made the Frankenstein-esque hand out of chicken wings to test the gas cutting effect with a .500 S&W revolver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom