Future .308 Rifle: MA-TEN build or LMT MWSE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Hey all.

I'm looking to purchase or build a rifle sometime in the future (as in, when I can afford it), and I am currently looking at the above options.

So between the Mega MA-TEN with a monolithic railed upper and the LMT MWSE, which would be the better option for target/"tactical" shooting?

I did some calculations, and both appear to be similarly priced.

The LMT comes with a 16" barrel, which I find to be a bit short for a .308 rifle. However, all of the rifle's parts are made and tuned to work well together, which may not be the case with a MA-TEN build. Then again, maybe I'm wrong on both counts. :o

If I build the MA-TEN as I want to, it would be a target rifle with a 18-20" barrel and PRS stock. I may eventually get BUIS for it, but I would probably invest in an medium-long range optic beforehand.

Would there be any significant advantage to purchasing one over the other?

LMT308MWS.jpg

amberrose-vi.jpg

Last edited:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    What about the Fulton Armory Titan instead?

I like that LMT in the first pic; however those rings are reallllly low; it's going to be hard to tuck in there behind that glass. I had this problem when I built my 5.56 varmint setup, I ordered fairly low rings and kept sending them back until I found a set I could actually "get" behind; at which point I decided to swap out the scope for one with a larger objective since it was now sitting so high.

Fulton Armory upper w/ Krieger barrel on a P.O.F. lower, Chip McCormick 2lb single stage trigger, and a 30mm Weaver Extreme 3-9x w/ 56mm obj, PRS stock.

IMG_0959.jpg

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    From all accounts, the LMT MWS is a great platform. Having said that, the accuracy that the Mega-Ma builds are getting seem to be better and a tad bit cheaper than the LMT.

Either way you'll get a good shooter. The LMT, already built and tested. The Mega-Ma, totally customizable. Chad (Clandestine) has the recipe for a Mega-Ma build that smokes pre-built AR10's somewhere on this forum, but I couldn't find it.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    From all accounts, the LMT MWS is a great platform. Having said that, the accuracy that the Mega-Ma builds are getting seem to be better and a tad bit cheaper than the LMT.

Either way you'll get a good shooter. The LMT, already built and tested. The Mega-Ma, totally customizable. Chad (Clandestine) has the recipe for a Mega-Ma build that smokes pre-built AR10's somewhere on this forum, but I couldn't find it.

I think it was this post

Clandestine's MEGA .308

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the mega with monolithic upper/rail is just totally sexy!!

buddy of mine is doing a 2nd mega build and he wouldn't be doing that if it didn't work very good the first time.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Clandestine's build looks solid. I'd definitely go with 18" barrel as a minimum. 20" would really let you reach out the way the round is capable of doing, with surgical precision. I would think you can print ragged holes at 200, 250, and even 300 meters with match ammo and a calm day.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I already want one. Dont' make me want one even more.

If you ever find yourself in White Marsh Arms for some reason, ask Jaime about mine. He about shit himself when he saw what it was capable of with Prvi 168. I think he did shit himself when the POI shift was less then 1/2" when I put the suppressor on.

If you ever want to test drive one let me know.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh

Does that rifle exist ? Has anyone ever shot it ? How can it 'smoke' pre built AR10's ? What is the standard ? 1/2 MOA ? Wouldn't a factory Noveske be at least as accurate or a LMT with a 5R barrel ?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So what does an Mega end up running at the end of the day, and is it as sexy as a M1A? I'll concede that it is probably more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom