• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Why do I always wait until the last minute to post about these? :rolleye12 Slow is smooth, and something-something last minute.

It's an "outlaw" steel challenge event, meaning we don't strictly adhere to the official steel challenge stage designs. We don't quite have the room to do that, plus we like to do a few slightly bigger stages that incorporate some movement, or shooting around barriers or other fun things. It takes place this Sunday, just over the line in Delta, PA. www.dpfng.com

You need to register on practiscore (which is free. The match itself costs $15...bring cash, please):

This is a great event for shooters new to action shooting. You need to have basic safe shooting abilities, but if it's your first time in a match like this, tell the range officer and folks will help you out to make sure you have a good safe time. I made a brief rambling video about the gear you'll need for this match (it's not a lot).

Here is an older video of Katie shooting one of the more traditional stages that should answer some of the common questions, like, "what if I miss?" (Keep shooting), "when do I reload?" (between strings, if you are smart), "What does five strings of five targets even mean?" (just watch;) )

We have room to do four stages, with one always being the plate rack:

And we try to set up a little more steel on the rifle range.

The bigger stages like that, we only run two or three times.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Our next match is Sunday, August 28 (next Sunday). I believe registration opens tomorrow. I'll try to post the link when it's active.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I had a great time out there, stage 2 was my favorite.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, and hope you come back for more! We try to get creative with stage 2, since we have a little bit of room. Most folks do enjoy getting to move out of the shooting box a little. It can sometimes be a little tricky to design something fun, that fits within our space/equipment confinements and isn't too challenging for new competitors. We definitely want to keep this event as newbie friendly as possible.

Hope to see you next month!

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Is this appropriate for someone new to action shooting?
    This is very appropriate for someone new to action shooting. It is run well and like holesonpaper said there are all levels of shooters and a very low pressure fun type match. You can shoot from the draw if you are comfortable and if not you can always start from low ready. But the best part is that you get to shoot each stage in 5 strings so you get a few chances and if you have a bad run, you can give it another go and try to correct mistakes.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Is this appropriate for someone new to action shooting?
    As others have mentioned, absolutely! I usually say something to the effect of, "it's a great place for your fist time shooting on the clock...it just shouldn't be your first time shooting a gun" :o

Watch my equipment video in the OP. You don't even need a holster to start. PPE, pistol (or PCC or .22 carbine), case, 5 mags, and about 300rnds is all you need to try it out.

I would like to say that being able to pass the W&C qual should be enough. Now that we know how...uhhh..."generous" that target is, I think you'll need just a touch more accuracy ;). Being able to hit a paper plate (not even the center...anywhere on the plate) at 10 yards most of the time should be plenty sufficient.

If you can do that, the only other important thing is to bring the right attitude. Worry about being safe first, foremost, at all times, every time. There may seem to be a lot of intense stuff going on, but if you listen to the Range Safety Officer's commands, keep the muzzle downrange and your finger off the trigger until you have a sight picture, you'll be fine.

I think for at least two of yesterday's shooters, it was their first time in any sort of action competition, and they did great. The only DQ we had was a very experienced competition shooter whose pistol fell out of his holster. It was weird...seemingly high quality equipment in seasoned hands...but it happened and that's an automatic DQ. I was just as shocked as he was. I felt bad for him...but dem's da rules. :shrug: He understood too. I bet he's about worn that holster out by now practicing and diagnosing so it doesn't happen again.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thank you to the Mod who edited the date out of the title, so I can keep using the same thread :mdpatriot

Next match is Sunday (they all are, so far) October 23, 2022. Registration opens this coming Sunday (10/16). I'll post the practiscore link when it's active...and probably babble a little more about the match along the way ;)

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I am definitely going to keep an eye on this, and when i can slow down on OT to make ends meet (almost done with paying off some stuff) I’d love to come up once a quarter to shoot.

Is there a place where all the rules are written out for the steel matches?

Thanks in advance.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I am definitely going to keep an eye on this, and when i can slow down on OT to make ends meet (almost done with paying off some stuff) I’d love to come up once a quarter to shoot.

Is there a place where all the rules are written out for the steel matches?

Thanks in advance.
    That is an excellent question that I should have a better answer for. I believe there is a rule book (as in, paper copy) in the clubhouse. The website has a little description (scroll down on the left): https://www.dpfng.com/activities

Do you have a specific rule question?

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    That is an excellent question that I should have a better answer for. I believe there is a rule book (as in, paper copy) in the clubhouse. The website has a little description (scroll down on the left): https://www.dpfng.com/activities

Do you have a specific rule question?
    Mostly wanting to know basics and disqualifying actions. I'm fairly confident in safe weapons handling, but want to make sure I know the rules before coming up lol. Its a 2.5hr ride :)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Mostly wanting to know basics and disqualifying actions. I'm fairly confident in safe weapons handling, but want to make sure I know the rules before coming up lol. Its a 2.5hr ride :)
    We always have a safety briefing before we shoot. If you bring a magnum (or one of the other prohibited calibers that damage the steel like 5.7), yeah...wasted trip. Otherwise, mostly just don't be dumb. Heck, you can even be kinda dumb as long as you listen to and follow directions. ;)

The gun (pistol or carbine) is never loaded or out of its holster, case, or cart before it is your turn to shoot AND you are instructed to load and make ready by the RSO. Don't drop your gun or point it at anything other than down range (i.e. 180 rule) and keep your finger off the trigger until you have a sight picture and intent to fire. Don't shoot anything that isn't meant to be shot. Don't argue with the RSO's. That generally covers the "you're going home" infractions.

Have you done any sort of action shooting before?

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    We always have a safety briefing before we shoot. If you bring a magnum (or one of the other prohibited calibers that damage the steel like 5.7), yeah...wasted trip. Otherwise, mostly just don't be dumb. Heck, you can even be kinda dumb as long as you listen to and follow directions. ;)

The gun (pistol or carbine) is never loaded or out of its holster, case, or cart before it is your turn to shoot AND you are instructed to load and make ready by the RSO. Don't drop your gun or point it at anything other than down range (i.e. 180 rule) and keep your finger off the trigger until you have a sight picture and intent to fire. Don't shoot anything that isn't meant to be shot. Don't argue with the RSO's. That generally covers the "you're going home" infractions.

Have you done any sort of action shooting before?
    Well it'd likely be my .45 anyway lol.
    As for shooting.... mostly just AUC and CQB schools in the Corps

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well it'd likely be my .45 anyway lol.
    As for shooting.... mostly just AUC and CQB schools in the Corps
    I think you should be fine. Tell the RSO's (whether at Delta or wherever you go) that you are new to action shooting. They'll take care of you. Also, check in and find out the range's policy before you strap up. Some have different rules about when and how you get your gun from your car to your person.

Don't expect to win...and don't try (your first time out, at least ;) ). A proper goal for the first time is completing the whole course of fire without being eliminated. We kinda joke about that, but it is true. Bringing an ego is what can get you into trouble. You may be handling firearms in situations you aren't accustomed to, with a lot of people intently watching your muzzle and trigger finger. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Just be slow and smooth the first time. Worry about fast the next time.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I think you should be fine. Tell the RSO's (whether at Delta or wherever you go) that you are new to action shooting. They'll take care of you. Also, check in and find out the range's policy before you strap up. Some have different rules about when and how you get your gun from your car to your person.

Don't expect to win...and don't try (your first time out, at least ;) ). A proper goal for the first time is completing the whole course of fire without being eliminated. We kinda joke about that, but it is true. Bringing an ego is what can get you into trouble. You may be handling firearms in situations you aren't accustomed to, with a lot of people intently watching your muzzle and trigger finger. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Just be slow and smooth the first time. Worry about fast the next time.
    Thanks...And I hear ya, I don't expect to win... there's hundreds of shooters put there better than me, I just wanna have safe, effective fun that isn't blasting holes in a B27 from 5 yds lol.

Finances may prohibit my participation until the new year, but hell the warden has already OKd at least a couple trips a year!

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Thanks...And I hear ya, I don't expect to win... there's hundreds of shooters put there better than me, I just wanna have safe, effective fun that isn't blasting holes in a B27 from 5 yds lol.

Finances may prohibit my participation until the new year, but hell the warden has already OKd at least a couple trips a year!
    It's like $15 per match. Look in the abyss between your driver's seat and center console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom