• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    That place has been going downhill for a long time. We always see the sign opposite the Chick-fil-A and as of last week I think there were only 3 letters still lighting up in it. Its been that way for ages and they dont even fix it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The world just seems to have gotten bored with malls.
    Interestingly enough, after a massive drop off in the early 2000s, mall closings have been somewhat rare with most malls and mall owners holding the line. There are a few that were on life support that are failing even now (Charleston Town Center in WV for example, once the biggest urban mall east of the Mississippi), but by and large, they've been holding on. I mean, they're still building some massive ones even now. American Dream Meadowlands is absolutely massive and includes an indoor ski slope. I was there for work near Christmas of 2022 and they were still building new stuff there.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That place has been going downhill for a long time. We always see the sign opposite the Chick-fil-A and as of last week I think there were only 3 letters still lighting up in it. Its been that way for ages and they dont even fix it.
    The inside is still nice enough. We always laugh about the ad-hoc words that the sign makes (our favorite was still Franci ScoKey which sounds like some Hollywood socialite's name) but it was fairly crowded during the Christmas shopping season this year. We hit up DSW, PJ Watch & Jewelry Repair, Barnes and Noble, Macy's, JC Penney's, and the awesome rock shop that they have there at least once every few months. The rock shop is awesome. It's right across from Barnes and Noble inside the mall. They do seminars about geology and paleontology, have a gem mining trough for kids, and all kinds of amazing fossils and rocks. It's really cool and beats the pants off the shop downtown on Market Street. We'll hit up the DQ there when we've had dinner and want a blizzard for dessert as well. The tablet and cell phone repair shop there does a good job for a reasonable price as well.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    They need a good gun shop and maybe even an indoor shooting range?

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    I think it’s a shame that malls have fallen out and traditional brick & mortar has been reduced to 5below, hobby lobby, TJ max, kohls amd Home Depot. Funny to see how many fitness ctrs, axe throwing and restaurants try to fill the voids. They even opened a 7eleven and a public library inside Annapolis mall to fill space. I ventured into Marley station to check out the model railroad around Christmas. They pulled his lease! Walked over to Sears and just can’t believe the void. Surprised it’s not full of homeless illegals.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The former Sears store is still vacant......
    Yeah. PREIT are antigun maggots though.

Could build a hell of a modular shoot house environment in some of this vacant retail space.......if anyone knows of some that can be had cheap from a company that isn't hoplophobic.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    The inside is still nice enough. We always laugh about the ad-hoc words that the sign makes (our favorite was still Franci ScoKey which sounds like some Hollywood socialite's name) but it was fairly crowded during the Christmas shopping season this year. We hit up DSW, PJ Watch & Jewelry Repair, Barnes and Noble, Macy's, JC Penney's, and the awesome rock shop that they have there at least once every few months. The rock shop is awesome. It's right across from Barnes and Noble inside the mall. They do seminars about geology and paleontology, have a gem mining trough for kids, and all kinds of amazing fossils and rocks. It's really cool and beats the pants off the shop downtown on Market Street. We'll hit up the DQ there when we've had dinner and want a blizzard for dessert as well. The tablet and cell phone repair shop there does a good job for a reasonable price as well.
    The last time we were through there we realized that shop had expanded into the vacant store next door, huge space for such a store it seems to me.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I think it’s a shame that malls have fallen out and traditional brick & mortar has been reduced to 5below, hobby lobby, TJ max, kohls amd Home Depot. Funny to see how many fitness ctrs, axe throwing and restaurants try to fill the voids. They even opened a 7eleven and a public library inside Annapolis mall to fill space. I ventured into Marley station to check out the model railroad around Christmas. They pulled his lease! Walked over to Sears and just can’t believe the void. Surprised it’s not full of homeless illegals.
    Exton Square Mall in Exton, PA (another PREIT mall) is in much worse shape than FSK. Nearly half the tenants are non-retail. Main Line Health has something like 1/4 of the store space and uses it for medical offices. The Chamber of Commerce uses other store space for offices, and there's a big post office attached to the mall as well. It's amazing the kinds of tenants they can find.

Not sure if anyone here has seen it, but Vice's TV channel had an amazing series at one point called "Abandoned" that was the project of Canadian pro-skater Rick McCrank. I pretty much hate that channel's other content, but this series was beautiful. The first episode was about ghost malls and the decline of the American shopping mall. You can watch the whole episode free on YouTube:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They must be reading this thread, because when we went past there tonight on our way to Cafe Bueno, there was a brand new sign installed.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    R.6343815a7638b237f5806716792a1d55

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom