• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    First, let me say if the answer is out there I'm sorry for asking it again - I'm using my phone and the search isn't working.

My buddies are coming down from CT and asked if they could bring their guns so we can all go target shooting. They would be bringing handguns and they are legally owned in CT (with permits). MD law says it allows transporting of weapons for target shoots (formal/informal) but, I'm pretty sure this applies to MD residents only.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    MD law states that you can transport your weapons from your house to the range unloaded and locked in the trunk. Federal law is pretty much the same thing. My only concern would be in transporting ammo and high cap mags thru New Jersey and New York (HP ammo and hi cap mags are strictly verboten ). If I was driving I would drive the weapons themselves and ship the mags to your house if I was driving. If I was flying then it should not be a problem just don't bring any ammo in your bags.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I believe your friends would be fine bringing their handguns to maryland. When they leave CT they are engaging in interstate travel. So FOPA comes into play. The should transport under the requirements of FOPA to the letter, because they will probably be going through some unfriendly territory! Unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk ammo separate! I'd also make sure everything is out if view and make they dont get pulled over. Once they get to maryland I assume they will stay with you or they will get a hotel.

Once they get to where their destination I guess Maryland law comes in to play, and it will apply to them. I guess if they are staying with you, your house becomes their residence. The hotel would be their residence if they stay there. The Maryland laws on transportation would come into effect, basically unloaded and in a case or holster. I would keep them in the case and in the trunk out of view.

I remember a case in Baltimore a few years ago where some one had a handgun in their hotel room, and house cleaning found it. Police were called and the tenant was arrested. I don't know what happened in this case. It might be better if your friends stay with you. I believe the person arrested in this case has a good defense, but it would have been costly.

I am no lawyer

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    MD law states that you can transport your weapons from your house to the range unloaded and locked in the trunk. Federal law is pretty much the same thing.

I think federal law is unloaded in a locked case separated from the ammo in the trunk (if the car has one, otherwise out of reach). Maryland law is unloaded in a case or holster. There is no mention of where the holster or cased firearm must be transported. The exception that allows you to take a handgun to the range actually allows you to wear it. I would probably never wear a gun to the range, but I think that people should know their rights, and know what the law requires. I usually travel with my cased handguns in a backpack on the rear seat or in the trunk. :)

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    They'll be fine if they follow the federal transport law, unloaded and locked and unreachable from the vehicle occupants (trunk preferred) and separated from ammo. Fine even driving through NYC and NJ as long as you only stop for fuel. Delaware doesn't care, so breathe easy as you spend the 15 minutes in my state. :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Most likely they'll be OK, but be aware that the AG issued an opinion that FOPA may not apply if MD is your destination because MD does not allow "carry and possess" as FOPA requires.

I'm just passing on the info. IANAL

FOPA Title 18 USC SS926A:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Attachments

• MD AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 93
    • MD AG ruling FOPA.pdf
      30.2 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads