• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked this up from another collector friend last weekend. I've always wanted a Mle 1886 Lebel, not just because I love French stuff but also it's place in history as the first military issue smokeless powder firearm.

I've come across a few Lebel's but haven't found any decent ones that I wanted to take home with me or that I felt were priced reasonably. This one isn't perfect either, but it's still a nice collectable rifle and I figure it'll make a good shooter.

It's in great shape. Nobody's messed with it luckily, and the bore looks good. A couple parts aren't matching, but the bolt matches, which is what I was mainly concerned about. Most French rifles went through a rebuild(s) in the 1920's and 30's and this one was no different as it has a replacement barrel dated 1925.

I managed to put a few rounds through it last week, but I couldn't hit the water jugs from about 80 yards. The rounds seemed to go a few feet high so I'll have to spend some more time getting used to it. The .323 diameter bullets in the PPU ammo I used might be an issue too, as the original 8x50r bullet was .326 diameter. It mangles the brass a bit as well, which seems to be common with the Lebel as the chambers are a bit oversized.

Attachments

• IMG_2836.jpg
      IMG_2836.jpg
      118.2 KB · Views: 225
    • IMG_2848.jpg
      IMG_2848.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 227
    • IMG_2853.jpg
      IMG_2853.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 230
    • IMG_2884.jpg
      IMG_2884.jpg
      118 KB · Views: 227

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys. The collector I got it from had been taking good care of it for the past 20-25 years or so. He's more of a collector than a shooter so he'd never shot it before. I had to clean a lot of dried cosmoline out of the action before I took it for a spin, and I still have a bit of a ways to go.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Dan,
    If I remember correctly Lebels have a battle sight setting. Try flipping the rear sight forward and see if the point of impact doesn't improve for elevation. It'll probably still be a bit high but should be easier to deal.
    Nice find!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Dan,
    If I remember correctly Lebels have a battle sight setting. Try flipping the rear sight forward and see if the point of impact doesn't improve for elevation. It'll probably still be a bit high but should be easier to deal.
    Nice find!

Are you heading up to the Redding auction this Sunday?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Dan,
    Nice find!

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it next time I take it out, hopefully sooner than later. I'll probably slug the bore and see what the diameter is. I might have to look out for some .326 sized bullets if the .323's aren't very accurate.

I'd definitely rather shoot this more than the Lebel R35 I got last year, that thing is a shoulder killer

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Are you heading up to the Redding auction this Sunday?

Maybe. There are only two lots that are of interest to me and one of them might be a re-blue which would be the kiss of death for me (hard to tell from the online photo).
    I'm really waiting for the next auction of theirs in early Nov. That one is packed with C&R military goodies. Sadly Redding auctions have tended to be bloodbaths recently. Lots of deep pocket dealers throwing around plenty of cash. It's been a while since I've gotten a nice bargain there. But that one I'll most likely attend if only for entertainment's sake. Should be interesting.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Excellent buy Dan. Also love the background for the photo, the rocks and rustic chair. Belongs on a postcard somewhere with a Hemingway book.

Thanks! Just put a new concrete patio on that side of the house earlier this summer and realized the stone chimney would make a great picture background. Certainly a lot better than my older pictures in the yard or on the porch.

I live in a large log house/cabin, so it's pretty much required that we have a lot of rustic looking stuff laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom