French Lebel Revolver bringback from Nam!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    It was my lucky day today when I spotted on GB this extremely rare Vietnam bring back. This 1892 French Lebel revolver was brought home by SP/4 Charles Shoemaker who was a member of the 716th MP Battalion. I’m having a friend research him and we’ll see what she finds out in the morning. I have his phone number and address so I will give him a call or write a letter to hopefully get the story on it. I don’t believe I’ve seen another like this and I can possibly see how it ended up in Vietnam.
    leb3a.png

leb4a.png

Blocked paper.png

Paper.png

Jul 1, 2012
    Nice collection of documentation!
    Looks like it was not treated kindly...
    wonder if there's a good story behind why he chose to bring that one back vice something "shiny".

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A French Mle 1892 revolver. I'm guessing the original blued finish was reworked at some point. Looks like it might have been plated in the last 120 years? They would definitely have spent time in Vietnam along with all the other French revolvers and pistols. Though you tend to see the more modern 1935 and 1950 models as bring backs.
    Ran across a bring back Russian 1895 revolver with acrylic "sweetheart" grips at auction yesterday. IMHO it sold on the low side for approx. $800 delivered (includes 18 point premium and what I guess shipping would cost). Would have made a play for it but decided to save the coin for something that I have cooking (fingers crossed that I can pull this finagle off).

Last edited:

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Mawkie I was watching that auction too and also think the revolver sold on the low side. I thought about bidding but glad I didn't as the Lebel showed up.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    BTW, pulled off my finagle, but it cost me a pretty penny in the process. My brother picked it up today not far from Erie PA where he's spending the week on vacation. So it'll be at least a couple weeks before I can put my grubby paws on it. Crazy rare example of a German training rifle that is supreme catnip for me. Won't divulge any more for now, keep everyone guessing. But I'll say that it's something that even Bob Simpson doesn't have for sale out of his fantastic German trainer collection.
    In the meantime I missed out on a nice German issue French Unique 17 bring back with GI replaced clear plexiglass grips. Sold for a very affordable sub $500 price. Damned if I can remember what I was doing when the GB listing closed but shame on me for sleeping on watch for this one. Doubt I'll ever run across one at that price again. Ya snooze, ya lose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom