• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have decided to give away all of the rejects and mistakes from getting my XL650 fine tuned for .357 Sig.
    I have about 125-150 improperly assembled rounds of ammo. Mixed headstamps, all primed, loaded with Longshot and topped off with RMR 124gr Nukes.
    These are NOT to be fired as is. They are being donated only to be disassembled, resized and reloaded.
    Pickup in Pikesville, no shipping. If you want them, quote this post in your reply. No need to send me a PM.

SG, Out of curiosity sake, how much powder gets consumed in that amount of shells? Approx ounces wise.

I think it was when trickg and I were discussing powders, that "Longshot" was brought up.
    Longshot is a great high velocity, low pressure powder. These are going ~1450fps out of my 5.5" barrel and are within SAAMI specs. The downside is the nickname "Loudshot" is there for a reason. I load these with 8.5-8.6gr of LS which would equal roughly 850rds per pound.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Longshot is a great high velocity, low pressure powder. These are going ~1450fps out of my 5.5" barrel and are within SAAMI specs. The downside is the nickname "Loudshot" is there for a reason. I load these with 8.5-8.6gr of LS which would equal roughly 850rds per pound.
    SG, Thanks sir. That sure gives me a feel for things by processing the math. Makes it simple.
    Of course as I would surmise, loading rifle cartridges will consume more powder per casing.

Conversely, As 4g64 and I were discussing 38 Spl. he mentioned roughly 2.7-3 gr
    You can load (close to-- edited) 2000rds of .38 Special with a pound of powder. It can be handloaded for next to nothing, assuming you already have the brass.
    The cost to handload is very relative to market cost of live ammo. Handloading 9mm and .223 isn't worth the savings (money saved vs. time spent) during normal times. Conversely, I can load .357 Sig for ~$25 more than 9mm per 1000rds. With the price difference between 9mm and .357 Sig, it is an obvious round worth reloading.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You can load 2000rds of .38 Special with a pound of powder. It can be handloaded for next to nothing, assuming you already have the brass.
    The cost to handload is very relative to market cost of live ammo. Handloading 9mm and .223 isn't worth the savings (money saved vs. time spent) during normal times. Conversely, I can load .357 Sig for ~$25 more than 9mm per 1000rds. With the price difference between 9mm and .357 Sig, it is an obvious round worth reloading.
    SG,

Would the same be able to be said of .223 and 9mm if the cost of powder was still at 1980's pricing?

Oh and those primers I got at auction the other day just had to smack me with the reality. Roughly 4x original price. AND that is still far less than paying retail and shipping/hazmat fees here in 2024.

One box of 1000 Federal Large Pistol Primers number 150 has an original price sticker on it of $11.50, and a box of Fed 210 Large Rifle has a $9.00 sticker.

SG,

Would the same be able to be said of .223 and 9mm if the cost of powder was still at 1980's pricing?

Oh and those primers I got at auction the other day just had to smack me with the reality. Roughly 4x original price. AND that is still far less than paying retail and shipping/hazmat fees here in 2024.

One box of 1000 Federal Large Pistol Primers number 150 has an original price sticker on it of $11.50, and a box of Fed 210 Large Rifle has a $9.00 sticker.
    Right around the beginning of Covid, the price of ammo skyrocketed and availability tanked. Reloading components did the same a few months later.
    I can't speak for the 1980's, but reloading components are currently double + what they were in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom