• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    Frederick: Misc work around the house needed (Handyman)

We are moving from MD to FL and renting out our place.

We have some minor things we will need fixed in our place prior to moving, we should be moving by the end of January, so we would want someone who can come in before than to fix some of the minor things we find, such as:

Filling holes in the walls from screws
    Touch up painting
    Faucet knob is broken on sink
    Seal some cracks in the drywall ceiling
    Fix a cabinet latch here and there
    Replace a electrical light switch
    Caulk/glue some loose floor trim pieces
    Other misc items we find that need to be fixed

Let me know if you are interested and what you would charge to come out for 1-2 days to fix everything.

Thanks!

Sig sickness

Aug 27, 2013
    PM Sent for a good recommendation.

Just remember in MD you have to have a MHIC license to preform any of this kind of work.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    "Technically" you're supposed to. Tons of people out there doing work don't have it.

Of all the items listed I see nothing that needs a permit, "Technically" if you have a Handyman company, sure the permit might blanket all of those items. I have been doing this type of work for over 10 years and have only taken out one permit for electrical work and it was completed last month.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I agree^^

Homeowner can pull permit and if the homeowner is OK with no MHIC then great. If not then they can look to hire someone that is licensed. I have worked as a framing and trim carpenter for years on a crew. Never took time to get licensed, but have done many side jobs for people. I also don't go around advertising to do work. I go on word of mouth from friends and family. I do agree that it is different if you are doing it for a living. Then you should be licensed.

carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    Of all the items listed I see nothing that needs a permit, "Technically" if you have a Handyman company, sure the permit might blanket all of those items. I have been doing this type of work for over 10 years and have only taken out one permit for electrical work and it was completed last month.

Regardless of whether you need a permit or not you still have to have a home improvement license to do these repairs. 90% of the work that I do doesn't require a permit but in every case you still need a license. I've had a construction company for the past 10 years and I can't count how many times we have had to fix other people's mistakes because the homeowner wanted to save a buck and didn't hire a legitimate contractor.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    There are many people that know what they are doing. Lots of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc. are skilled and know their trades.They just don't own their own construction business so they don't need or have a license.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Regardless of whether you need a permit or not you still have to have a home improvement license to do these repairs. 90% of the work that I do doesn't require a permit but in every case you still need a license. I've had a construction company for the past 10 years and I can't count how many times we have had to fix other people's mistakes because the homeowner wanted to save a buck and didn't hire a legitimate contractor.

Why? Why would I need a HIL to work on my own house, yes there are a few things I will not do for fear of danger of not performing the work properly or to code. I know you have never had to fix/repair/or redo any of my work. I too work from referrals and don't need the advertisement, heck sometimes there is a line formed waiting for me, but then again there are very few "Craftsmen" left in the world.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013

I hate it but Hes correct by law. Ive had my own MHIC since 1992. Its another way for the state to take more money from us and tell us that they are protecting us.

1 Upside to it..... Being a legit business is helping me get my CCW permit. :party29:

carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    Why? Why would I need a HIL to work on my own house, yes there are a few things I will not do for fear of danger of not performing the work properly or to code. I know you have never had to fix/repair/or redo any of my work. I too work from referrals and don't need the advertisement, heck sometimes there is a line formed waiting for me, but then again there are very few "Craftsmen" left in the world.

You can do any home improvement you want on your own home but if you are operating as a business and providing a service then you are required by law to have a home improvement license, carry liability insurance and be bonded. The construction industry is full of guys that operate out of the back of a pickup truck, get paid in cash, pay their "employees" in cash, thus avoiding paying taxes, whithholdings, workers comp, insurance etc. To run a legitimate business, there is overhead and costs that I would rather not pay, but I can't in good conscience take shortcuts or do things that aren't legal.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    Yep, sorry about the hijacking. Well you are incorrect about home repairs because "technically" there are certain things that cannot be done without a permit. Nope not operating a business, already had one been retired for over 10 years just keeping my many skills sharp. Never had any employees, I have my standards and I have yet to see anyone to meet them so I would never feel comfortable "if" I had to. I have never taken shortcuts and I'm not starting now, or ever. Yes there are many "businesses" out there that still pay their employees in cash to avoid taxes, insurance, etc, and, will work them part time to avoid these things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom