• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    Anybody hunt foxes with their bow? I had a fox run under my treestand the other day. What arrow head should I use? Should I just use the Rage broadheads or will that leave a big hole in the pelt? I'm thinking the judo points may be too small. Anybody try the G5 SGH?

The season opens on 10/31.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    FOX in Sox - 1.jpg

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Rage will work, overkill? Good don't us judo for it. Fixed would work if it shoots accurately. Don't forget you need a furbearer stamp, if you haven't got that yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I killed two in one day with my bow. Both times I had to un-nock my arrow to turn off the Tracer nocks.

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    Rage will work, overkill? Good don't us judo for it. Fixed would work if it shoots accurately. Don't forget you need a furbearer stamp, if you haven't got that yet.

Ha, ha! Like the picture.

So the Rage broadheads are good and don't use a judo point? I didn't quite understand your response.

Just ordered my permit. Thanks for the reminder!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Yeah Rage will work, maybe a little to much cutting area for a fox. Don't use judo points. Judos are better for rabbit size critters. 100 grain fixed blade will work well too, something like the G5 Montec. Sorry if I wasn't so clear before.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    If you just want to kill a fox {and nearly cut him in half doing it} then yeah, the Rage will certainly work. If you want to try and save the hide to tan or have mounted then Rage should be last or next to it choice. Fox are not difficult to kill at all. I personally do not use broadheads, a good hit in the kill zone is a good hit in the kill zone. Field points kill them stone dead and don't cut up the pelt. If you feel like you absolutely have to use a broadhead find the smallest one made. I have used G5 Montec's for coyote, woodchuck and fox/coon size animals with great results. You have to remember that what ever tip you use is going to pass thru and go into the ground so if it's a broadhead it needs to be a tough one or it will only work once.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why do you have to turn off the tracer nocks?

Because I was hunting bucks in the prime of the rut and I didn't want any arrows lying about with flashing nocks. The sad part of that day was, a buck finally showed up, I grunted him to a stop at 20 yards and he jumped my shot an I skimmed an arrow off his back. He survived but the foxes did not.:shrug: Set la vive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom