• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, I've been absolutely slammed with work recently and have had very little time to tend to much other than checking my trail camera (which is not borked beyond belief for some reason) for the past month. I haven't even put up my tree stand yet for crying out loud, but I digress.

I picked up some brassica seed mix to supplement the clover and alfalfa that I cover crop my vegetable garden with after the summer harvest to bring the deer in. The bag states that I should have started seeding in early September and continue over-seeding through the fall until the first frost. I know that brassicas are a cold weather crop in general, so I figure I should get some growth out of it before the first frost sets in at the end of the month, but didn't know if it would be enough to entice the deer to come on in. Last year I planted winter rye which brought them in and held them for a bit, but figured I'd try something different this year.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to whether it would just be a waste of seed at this point?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm guessing that since you are posting in the C&R forum either your seed or your trail cam is over 50 years old or has some other curio value. ;)

So, seed away. You've got nothing to lose. I'd throw a few ears of corn in that patch as well.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm guessing that since you are posting in the C&R forum either your seed or your trail cam is over 50 years old or has some other curio value. ;)

Not entirely true. His seed or trail cam could have been submitted to the ATF for having special historical value.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    old timers say get your cover crops in before Halloween so you should get something out of it, not what you would have had you got it in sept 1st but something , so go for it, quickly though.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This is what I get for having too many tabs open. Mods, can you please move to the outdoors section? Thanks!

Edit: And thank you everyone in C&R for the input as well!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Deer seek out the tenderest of sprouts. If you get growth, they'll come.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You may be able to cover it at night if we get an early frost and get a few extra weeks just like late season Garden vegetables.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Well, for anyone who was wondering, it was plenty of time. Even though we had a frost last week up my way, it wasn't a killing frost, and the recent warm temps this weekend mean that the true leaves are out on the brassicas and they'll continue to grow into the really cold months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom