• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is better for CCW, FN 5.7 or Kel-Tec PMR-30 ?

• FN 5.7

Votes: 14 77.8%
    • PMR-30

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'll list some specs to compare them, would like your vote as to which would you buy; primary purpose- CCW.

The most significant differences I've noticed are price and the power of the rounds. The FN 5.7 is approximately $1000 on the street and the PMR is about half that cost. The .22WMR bullet in the PMR is fast, but it's awful light and no match for the 5.7. The .22WMR costs roughly half the price per bullet than the 5.7. Many say the reliability of a rimfire round (.22WMR), is less reliable than a center fired bullet. The 5.7 holds 20 rounds standard, but an extender is available to take up to 30 rounds; whereas the PMR holds 30 rounds in the pistol grip, no extension needed.

The 5.7 seems to be about twice the bullet (power, cost) than the .22WMR.
    5.7and.22Mag2.jpg

FN 5.7
    7525_20101222013051_L.jpg

Ballistic performance summary for various 5.7×28mm cartridges
    SS190 SS195LF SS197SR EA Protector EA Varmintor EA S4
    Projectile weight 2.0 g (31 gr) 1.8 g (28 gr) 2.6 g (40 gr) 2.6 g (40 gr) 2.3 g (36 gr) 1.8 g (28 gr)
    Muzzle velocity 650 m/s (2,130 ft/s) 625 m/s (2,050 ft/s) 520 m/s (1,700 ft/s) 610 m/s (2,000 ft/s) 640 m/s (2,100 ft/s) 770 m/s (2,520 ft/s)
    Muzzle energy 424 J (313 ft-lb) 350 J (260 ft-lb) 350 J (260 ft-lb) 480 J (355 ft-lb) 480 J (355 ft-lb) 535 J (395 ft-lb)
    Power: Muzzle velocity
    650 m/s (2,130 ft/s) (SS190) [11]
    625 m/s (2,050 ft/s) (SS195) [11]
    520 m/s (1,700 ft/s) (SS197) [11]
    Effective range 50 m (55 yd) [12]
    Maximum range 1,510 m (1,651 yd)

Kel-Tec PMR
    2_10264527.jpg

1287 ft/s
    Energy (40gr): 138ft-lbs 187J

References:
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=769

Last edited:

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    PMR30.

Really, it depends on what you want it for but I see a lot of 5.7 safe queens out there. The PMR shoots great and I've had zero reliability issues with it.. you know the rest..

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    5.7 its a proven SD round and sorry to bring it up but the Ft. Hood incident showed its effectiveness. Also centerfired rounds are much more reliable than rimfire. Also the 5.7 was designed as an anti-personnel round whereas the .22 wmr is a varmint round.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    It depends on what you are going to do with it. If I was going to trust my life to it I'd get the FN, otherwise you'd probably be ok with the PMR.

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    I love my 5.7 and wouldn't trade it for the world. My girlfriend has claimed it for her own as it shoots so smooth and crisp. You can pickup boxes of 50 SS197 blue tip ammo from cheaperthandirt for $19 a box and $20-21 on sgammo, so it's on par expense wise as good quality .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

I take her with me everytime I go to the range so she is far from a safe queen. I have the 10 round extensions as well. Out of the box, the extensions may give you feed issues due to the follower getting caught on the lip passing from the extension to the main magazine. Nothing a dremel can't cure.

I'm looking to pickup a PMR as well, but just for punching paper. I have every bit of confidence in my 5.7 as my CCW loaded with Elite Ammunition Trident T6 or Penetrator line of self defense loads.

More than willing to meet up to let you give her a run. Just bring $20 to cover a box of rounds and have fun!

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The 5.7 is a better defensive round, although I wouldn't use either for that purpose.
    The 5.7 is more reliable, and better built. With that said, I sold my 5.7 but am patiently waiting for a PMR30, at a third the cost. Apples vs bananas in my opinion.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If money was no object then obviously the 5.7 wins. However if I were buying, I'd choose.the PMR30 simply for the lower price of both ownership, the ability to buy ammo at walmart, and the lower price.to practice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If money was no object then obviously the 5.7 wins. However if I were buying, I'd choose.the PMR30 simply for the lower price of both ownership, the ability to buy ammo at walmart, and the lower price.to practice.

The price difference to own and feed is a big consideration. You could literally own two PMR's and shoot one in each hand for the price of one 5.7. But the question is which is the better gun for CCW, not plinking.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I'd also vote for the FN (going to get one to go with the SBRed PS90....when I get that....much later this year. :)). Though I don't consider the FN a good candidate for CCW. I'd go with something quite a bit smaller and slimmer. Thinking about a Beretta PX4 subcompact, myself; since I'm not fond of striker-fired handguns.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    It depends on what you are going to do with it. If I was going to trust my life to it I'd get the FN, otherwise you'd probably be ok with the PMR.

This. For plinking and varminting I'd go with the PMR. For SD, big varminting or any situation where a jam or ftf means more than "whoops, didn't punch a hole in the paper, no biggie though" go with the FN.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    The price difference to own and feed is a big consideration. You could literally own two PMR's and shoot one in each hand for the price of one 5.7. But the question is which is the better gun for CCW, not plinking.

I consider price of ownership and ammo availability large factors when considering a gun for a defensive purpose. You want that gun to be one that you have shot so much that shooting it is so natural that you don't have to think about it, you just use it. Having put 10's of thousands of rounds through a Glock 9mm, that is my go to defensive gun even if other guns in my collection are more powerful or smaller, or better in some other way.

If you can't afford to shoot the gun so much that you're bored of it, then in my opinion it's not the gun to stake your life on.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom