Flying from FL to DC and then MD (loaded)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Kev12

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi guys,

I was planning to take a flight from FL to DC and then drive to MD with multiple ARs, 30 round magazines, and some handguns to visit my brother.

Then I realized MD is not quite like FL. To be honest, I haven't look too much into this, and I was hoping to have someone give me a quick pointer on what I can bring in a plane and what I should avoid (while I continue to research the subject).

My intention is to have the firearms cerakoted and laser engraved (my brother is a FFL-07).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Drive or take the auto train and put your stuff in locked cases in your car

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    OK...

1. All firearms must be in checked baggage. Hard-sided case that is lockable. Not TSA locks, good padlocks. I also suggest getting some cheap trigger locks, put them on the guns.
    2. When you go to the airport, you have to declare the firearms when you check the case. The phrasing I use is, "I need a firearm card for this (point) case."
    3. Flying into and out of Dulles is OK. Leave the guns cased until you get to your brother's place.

DanOh

Apr 13, 2022
    Marriotsville
    I don’t think the problem is traveling with the lowers as long as they are locked up in cases and declared with TSA as others have noted. I think the airlines as well? The locks have to be TSA compliant so they can unlock and inspect and they will. I’m confused about traveling with the 30 rd mags or are you bringing those back? They could be a problem carrying them back to MD.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I don’t think the problem is traveling with the lowers as long as they are locked up in cases and declared with TSA as others have noted. I think the airlines as well? The locks have to be TSA compliant so they can unlock and inspect and they will. I’m confused about traveling with the 30 rd mags or are you bringing those back? They could be a problem carrying them back to MD.
    Nope. As others have said…

No TSA locks. At the very least, no TSA locks on the container holding the firearms, whether that’s outer luggage or inner. Ironically, the hardest time I’ve had with that was flying out of PBI several years ago because of the way TSA had the screening set up, but that’s another story. Never had any trouble at BWI. Haven’t tried out of DCA or Dulles.

The declaration is made at the counter with the airline. You don’t declare anything directly to TSA. That’s what the declaration card is for - so TSA knows you declared it if it comes up.

And why would bringing 30 round mags in or out of MD be a problem unless he was planning on selling them here??

-Rob

error404

Apr 18, 2022
    FL
    Just as a follow up, I end up taking only AR15 magazines. It turns out that laser engraving glock / polymer was way harder than what I thought. Most people keep their setting ultra secrete and the settings that people shared with me did not work great either. We did hundred of tests.

Attachments

• IMG-20220522-WA0010.jpg
      IMG-20220522-WA0010.jpg
      686.9 KB · Views: 67
    • IMG-20220522-WA0022.jpg
      IMG-20220522-WA0022.jpg
      900.7 KB · Views: 67
    • IMG-20220522-WA0025.jpg
      IMG-20220522-WA0025.jpg
      701.1 KB · Views: 66
    • IMG-20220504-WA0003.jpg
      IMG-20220504-WA0003.jpg
      570 KB · Views: 69
    • IMG-20220505-WA0000.jpg
      IMG-20220505-WA0000.jpg
      178 KB · Views: 66
    • IMG-20220520-WA0013.jpg
      IMG-20220520-WA0013.jpg
      375.3 KB · Views: 63
    • IMG-20220525-WA0008.jpg
      IMG-20220525-WA0008.jpg
      430.5 KB · Views: 64
    • IMG-20220525-WA0009.jpg
      IMG-20220525-WA0009.jpg
      523.4 KB · Views: 60
    • IMG-20220524-WA0010.jpg
      IMG-20220524-WA0010.jpg
      134.4 KB · Views: 69

error404

Apr 18, 2022
    FL
    But in the end... it paid off

Attachments

• IMG-20220526-WA0017.jpg
      IMG-20220526-WA0017.jpg
      269.5 KB · Views: 72
    • IMG-20220527-WA0007.jpg
      IMG-20220527-WA0007.jpg
      140.3 KB · Views: 75

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Nope. As others have said…

No TSA locks. At the very least, no TSA locks on the container holding the firearms, whether that’s outer luggage or inner. Ironically, the hardest time I’ve had with that was flying out of PBI several years ago because of the way TSA had the screening set up, but that’s another story. Never had any trouble at BWI. Haven’t tried out of DCA or Dulles.

The declaration is made at the counter with the airline. You don’t declare anything directly to TSA. That’s what the declaration card is for - so TSA knows you declared it if it comes up.

And why would bringing 30 round mags in or out of MD be a problem unless he was planning on selling them here??

-Rob
    First time flying w/ a side by side to MT. You mention inner luggage which is what I want to do in order to hide the hard locked g-case from inquisitive baggage handlers in large soft duffel w/ my other stuff. Is it better to do this or check the gun case separately from the duffel bag? Besides ORD any other airports to avoid like MSP? I figure DFW and DIA are preferable.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    First time flying w/ a side by side to MT. You mention inner luggage which is what I want to do in order to hide the hard locked g-case from inquisitive baggage handlers in large soft duffel w/ my other stuff. Is it better to do this or check the gun case separately from the duffel bag?
    You MUST declare the firearms at check in, and you MUST comply with FAA/TSA laws and regulation.

The baggage containing firearms can't be 'hidden' from baggage handlers.

TSA FIREARMS TAG

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. For civil enforcement purposes, TSA also considers a firearm to be loaded when both the firearm and ammunition are accessible to the passenger. For example, if an individual has a firearm in accessible baggage and ammunition in his/her pocket, or any combination where the individual has access to both, the firearm is considered "loaded" for purposes of assessing a civil penalty. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Drive. If you absolutely must take those firearms with you, it's not worth the risk flying into DC or having your firearm stolen from checked baggage when heading home.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    You MUST declare the firearms at check in, and you MUST comply with FAA/TSA laws and regulation.

The baggage containing firearms can't be 'hidden' from baggage handlers.

TSA FIREARMS TAG

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. For civil enforcement purposes, TSA also considers a firearm to be loaded when both the firearm and ammunition are accessible to the passenger. For example, if an individual has a firearm in accessible baggage and ammunition in his/her pocket, or any combination where the individual has access to both, the firearm is considered "loaded" for purposes of assessing a civil penalty. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

I was always planning on declaring the FA w/ TSA, insuring same etc., just wanted to put them in my duffel and keep everything together to prevent loss/sticky fingers. Is this OK or must the case be a separately checked ?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I did not want to start a new thread. My question was about BurkeM's inner baggage comment and I won't be flying out of DCA.
    He doesn't know what he's talking about.
    The thing is, your.. side by side? What's that, a double barrel shotgun? You need to put that in a locked case. After you check that in with the gate agent, it can go inside whatever you want. It's done with pistols all the time.
    This is my locked box inside my checked bag. It's "hidden". Long guns go through baggage all the time in hard side locked gun cases. It's just not feasible putting a long gun case in some sort of bag. It's obvious anyway.

f30a1109cb0947ca971bb3cb4d33dfdd.jpg
    018b827474ec0cee40f2490258047b81.jpg

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    The thing is, your.. side by side? What's that, a double barrel shotgun? You need to put that in a locked case. After you check that in with the gate agent, it can go inside whatever you want. It's done with pistols all the time.
    This is my locked box inside my checked bag. It's "hidden". Long guns go through baggage all the time in hard side locked gun cases. It's just not feasible putting a long gun case in some sort of bag. It's obvious anyway.

20 G DBS and thanks, this is just want I wanted to confirm and plan to do. It breaks down and can fit into a small hard lockable case.

I did not want to start a new thread. My question was about BurkeM's inner baggage comment and I won't be flying out of DCA.

Why was I quoted there?
    I clearly was quoting Jake4U's post. He was talking about someone flying in to DC (which happened almost 2yrs ago.) You are talking about flying out to MT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom