Flying from FL to DC and then MD (loaded)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Why was I quoted there?
    I clearly was quoting Jake4U's post. He was talking about someone flying in to DC (which happened almost 2yrs ago.) You are talking about flying out to MT.
    Since I resurrected a 2 year old thread I figured you wanted to know why based on your comment. I hope this clears things up for you. No offense was intended. Cheers.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    He doesn't know what he's talking about.

f30a1109cb0947ca971bb3cb4d33dfdd.jpg
    018b827474ec0cee40f2490258047b81.jpg

Ridiculous.

ALL baggage is available to ALL BAGGAGE HANDLERS. You can't 'hide' checked baggage.

I know exactly what the requirements are, and POSTED them.

(you know better)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ridiculous.

ALL baggage is available to ALL BAGGAGE HANDLERS. You can't 'hide' checked baggage.

I know exactly what the requirements are, and POSTED them.

(you know better)
    You said it can't be hidden. He isn't trying to hide anything. You declare it and send it along the way.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    You said it can't be hidden. He isn't trying to hide anything. You declare it and send it along the way.
    He said he wanted it hidden from baggage handlers. Reading comprehension is your friend.

He wrote "...what I want to do in order to hide the hard locked g-case from inquisitive baggage handlers..."

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Fly Delta, they don't put bags containing guns on the carose. Have to get them from the baggage services desk. Won't stop the handlers but will stop regular people from walking away with it.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Fly Delta, they don't put bags containing guns on the carose. Have to get them from the baggage services desk. Won't stop the handlers but will stop regular people from walking away with it.
    For about the last 20 years I've flown Delta 95% of the time.
    And not because I like them.

Anyhow at least two times at BWI my gun cases came down the carousel rather than schlepped to the baggage services desk.
    That never happened at SMF. Makes me wonder big time.

Edit: If you are transporting firearms haul your ass down to the baggage area and keep eyes open.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Nope. You were still wrong.

Blaster understood the question. You are either being deliberately obtuse or a moron, but I’ll give you credit and assume the former.

When hobiecat590 quoted MY post in which I used the term “inner luggage”, it was clear that he was interested in packing his firearm in a container within another piece of luggage to keep it out of casual observation by the luggage tossers on the apron. There was nothing in his post to suggest nefarious intent. The fact that he asked the question implies the opposite, since if he intended to not follow the rules, he wouldn’t have needed to.

What’s somewhat amusing is your criticism of Blaster’s failure to cite authority for his response while the “authority” you link to is a TSA pamphlet which interprets the ACTUAL regulations rather loosely and to TSA’s benefit, particularly where the oft-debated key/combination issue is concerned.

For the REAL regulations, see 49 CFR 1540.111(c).

Individual airlines are free to make their own regulations re: how firearms and ammo are packed, but TSA does not have the authority to subvert federal regulations because it suits them, so until such time as the regs are amended, that’s what governs screening.

-Rob

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Once again , no such thing .
    Both National and Dulles are actually in Virginia . ( But do be carefull about taking the parkway north .)
    Ah, missed that little detail. Geez that was stupid.

For awhile we lived on Capitol Hill. I was working there and wife was at GW lawschool. Stored all my firearms at my mom's place in MD. Well, not all of them. Kept a 1911 .45 at our place in the 200 block of E. Capitol and the wife was always giving me crap about it until one night someone came through the first door and was working on the second one. Rowhouse with an exterior door, vestibule and then second door. I stood at the top of the stairs and shouted I was armed and would drop whoever was trying to get in. Perp left. Wife had already dialed 911 and hung up. Twenty minutes later cops showed up. She never gave me crap again.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    When hobiecat590 quoted MY post in which I used the term “inner luggage”, it was clear that he was interested in packing his firearm in a container within another piece of luggage to keep it out of casual observation by the luggage tossers on the apron.
    That was clear. What you may fail to understand is that hundreds of people actually go to airports and deliberately HIDE firearms.

That's extremely bad, and they get caught when TSA xrays and examine baggage 'downstairs,' and find undeclared and declared firearms in checked baggage.

TSA and baggage handlers will be aware of those declared firearms- so 'hiding' them won't work.

You, Blaster, and I may disagree with the way TSA interprets longstanding LAW, FAA regulations and policy, we aren't in places of authority to enable us the power to change anything.

I spoke up to limit the likelihood that one of the MDS community would be foolish enough to actually HIDE a firearm in luggage and have it confiscated, and face potential prosecution.

That sort of seizure happens almost daily across the US.

------------
    Is that clearer for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom