Flying from FL to DC and then MD (loaded)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • error404

Apr 18, 2022
    FL
    Hi guys,

I was planning to take a flight from FL to DC and then drive to MD with multiple ARs, 30 round magazines, and some handguns to visit my brother.

Then I realized MD is not quite like FL. To be honest, I haven't look too much into this, and I was hoping to have someone give me a quick pointer on what I can bring in a plane and what I should avoid (while I continue to research the subject).

My intention is to have the firearms cerakoted and laser engraved (my brother is a FFL-07).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    No quick pointers really. Your title is "loaded" as you can't fly with loaded firearms.

Check out your airline's info on traveling with firearms.
    Check out the TSA's website regarding the same.

Get to the airport early with unloaded firearms. If your intention is coating and engraving then just leave ammo out of the equation. Declare, fill out form, put form in locked container checked luggage; pick up container on the other side.

Not too tough if you don't do something stupid but do your research as you indicated you are.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I would look into DC also,, as you will be in that hell hole too.
    I have not followed recent DC laws,, but recent history did not smile favorably on "gun owners" in DC.
    Come to think of it,, They nailed the leader of the proud boys for possession of "standard" capacity mags.

Worry about what you bring to MD,, but worry more about landing/traveling in DC with the 2A.
    Bottom line is do not travel in, through, near DC or MD with something that is frowned upon in either local.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    any chance you can crate them up and ship them instead?

keep in mind that reagan is actually in va, not dc, and you can avoid going thru dc to get to maryland.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Hi guys,

I was planning to take a flight from FL to DC and then drive to MD with multiple ARs, 30 round magazines, and some handguns to visit my brother.

Then I realized MD is not quite like FL. To be honest, I haven't look too much into this, and I was hoping to have someone give me a quick pointer on what I can bring in a plane and what I should avoid (while I continue to research the subject).

My intention is to have the firearms cerakoted and laser engraved (my brother is a FFL-07).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    What airport do you plan on landing at in DC?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Unless those are HBAR rifles (or you owned them before 2013) they may not be brought into Maryland.

Separate the uppers from the lowers.

There is no airport in DC that isn’t military or was military. NAS Anacostia is gone. and Boling AFB has built houses on the runways, or where the runways used to be.

Don’t go thru DC on your way to your brothers. Go North on the GW Parkway to 495 and get off at the appropriate exit. The southern route will have you driving thru DC, just a little bit, on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Separate the uppers from the lowers.

There is no airport in DC that isn’t military or was military. NAS Anacostia is gone. and Boling AFB has built houses on the runways, or where the runways used to be.

Don’t go thru DC on your way to your brothers. Go North on the GW Parkway to 495 and get off at the appropriate exit. The southern route will have you driving thru DC, just a little bit, on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
    Negative on GWP! It DOES go into DC, for a mile or two on Columbia Island. The line swings west, around the island, Mr. Google's map below.

The chance of a problem is small, but if there IS a problem, it will be a big one since you are not waving your standard capacity magazine around on national television.*

*NBC News reference from several years ago. Anchor had a standard capacity AK magazine in a studio in DC, but nothing happened to him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418_201203.png
      Screenshot_20220418_201203.png
      227.6 KB · Views: 78

error404

Apr 18, 2022
    FL
    I'm arriving on Dulles Airport.
    I don't need to bring the whole rifle, I could just bring the lower to tryout the laser engraving only.
    Not planning to bring ammo
    Any issues with 30 mags? I could potentially take them apart and just bring the outer shell

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Your mags and lowers would be fine in Maryland. No DC entanglements coming out of Dulles into MD, so you’re fine there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d still consider shipping it all to your brother if he is an FFL-07. He can legally receive them. You can legally ship them back to yourself when done if you are sticking around for all of it anyway. It adds some cost, but depending on how you are flying it might not be much or any more expensive than the checked bag fees anyway. And then you get to skip the hassle of flying with guns (I don’t trust airlines, handlers or TSA with my guns any more than I’d trust a shipping company. Which isn’t to say zero trust, just that I don’t view one or the other as more reliable).

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Not really good advise.

Like shafted said, the GWP is in DC for the length of Columbia island.

Screenshot_20220418-225309_Maps.jpg

You'd be unlikely to actually encounter a problem (freak accident, breakdown), but far less likely in that tiny, tiny sliver on the Wilson bridge.

Screenshot_20220418-225239_Maps.jpg

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Stay off all the parkways. Those fall under federal jurisdiction. These would include the GW Parkway, Clara Barton, BW Parkway and Suitland PW. My info is over 20 years old and I'm not sure of any changes. Lazerus suggestion of shipping to your FFL brother is a good one.

paperwork351

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    You can go to jail in DC just for having a spent cartridge in your possession. So you may want to avoid crossing that line at all costs.

error404

Apr 18, 2022
    FL
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm traveling on Friday, I don't believe I have enough time to ship them first

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom