• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Looking to get my Florida CWP. My parents live in Florida so I need a permit that works in Florida.

I was looking online and it doesn't look like there's much being offered until the end of May, and that wouldn't work for me.

Is there anything closer to me in Baltimore than this?

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Did you search for an NRA course?

Approved Training Courses

To qualify for a concealed weapon license, Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm. A copy of a Certificate of Completion or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;

Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

Any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Looking to get my Florida CWP. My parents live in Florida so I need a permit that works in Florida.

I was looking online and it doesn't look like there's much being offered until the end of May, and that wouldn't work for me.

Is there anything closer to me in Baltimore than this?

Did you check Cindy's? There's a Florida/Utah class scheduled for tomorrow.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    do you have an HQL or hunting license? they take that. I did not need anything special for FL training.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    do you have an HQL or hunting license? they take that. I did not need anything special for FL training.

I have the HQL but I got mine by virtue of having a handgun when the bill was passed. I did research it and it said that if you got the HQL without firing a shot (by the prior owner or DD214 options) it was a grey area.

I saw the classes at FreeState, but I didn't see another one until May and I know I won't get the permit in time for a late June trip if I do the class at the end of May.

The Cindy's Hot Shots one I hadn't seen before.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you had the old Maryland handgun qualifications certificate, they used to take that. The only check they do is on your background. The rest is a check box for the agricultural office doing the paperwork.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I will also add, a friend of mine who was grandfathered due to ownership prior to 2013, he got it using his hql.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have the HQL but I got mine by virtue of having a handgun when the bill was passed. I did research it and it said that if you got the HQL without firing a shot (by the prior owner or DD214 options) it was a grey area.

I saw the classes at FreeState, but I didn't see another one until May and I know I won't get the permit in time for a late June trip if I do the class at the end of May.

The Cindy's Hot Shots one I hadn't seen before.
    Texas hunter safety is still less than $50, online, good in maryland and florida, and they also take that**. As a bonus, some of the material is useful.

I still think that they will take the HQL.

I think your problem for a late June trip is not getting the training. You could have a hunting license tomorrow, which FL takes. I think that the problem is that even if you submit tomorrow, they take a long time to process permits. mine took more than 8 weeks*.

* they are saying 50-55 days right now.

** and MD takes it for the HQL.

Last edited:

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    You'll also need to submit prints. I believe they only accept them from a law enforcement agency.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Thank you again for recommending this and shot out to Cindy's Hot Shots.

Class was great, they handle everything from photos to rolling finger prints through an agreement they have with the Carrol County Sherriffs office.

Both Utah and FL apps are in the mail.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom