• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    A friend of mine just told me he was told by a PA gun shop that as of this week PA is no longer recognizing the FL permit as well as possibly others. He was told he can get a PA non-res permit. I mentioned to him the part about having to have a permit from your state of residence to get a PA non-res, he said they aren't requiring that anymore. He said the dealer told him PA just wants the money. So anyone here hear the same thing? Is there any truth to this???

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A friend of mine just told me he was told by a PA gun shop that as of this week PA is no longer recognizing the FL permit as well as possibly others. He was told he can get a PA non-res permit. I mentioned to him the part about having to have a permit from your state of residence to get a PA non-res, he said they aren't requiring that anymore. He said the dealer told him PA just wants the money. So anyone here hear the same thing? Is there any truth to this???

I looked on the PA AG site, PAFAO forum and handgun law,us.

No mention of any change in reciprocity. Have an email in to Gary Slider the owner of handgunlaw to see what he may know.

The last place to get law info is a gun shop. 2nd to last is a LEO.

No offense to our LEO's here on MDS

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Gary Slider at handgunlaw told me he knows nothing about this but told me the following:

"This might be an old story as PA State Police tried to say that they would not longer honor a FL non Resident permit. This happened early last year. THe AG straightened them out real quick on that. They don't make laws they just enforce them."

Most likely more gun shop crapola IMO.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Cool. Keep us posted if you actually hear of a change. I tried to tell him that I thought the dealer was probably blowing smoke. But he insisted it was real and he was told the change happened this week.

Sorry if I alarmed anyone. Just figured you guys would get to the bottom of this quick. :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cool. Keep us posted if you actually hear of a change. I tried to tell him that I thought the dealer was probably blowing smoke. But he insisted it was real and he was told the change happened this week.

Sorry if I alarmed anyone. Just figured you guys would get to the bottom of this quick. :thumbsup:

Doesn't appear to be true from what I've looked at. Everyone should do their own research so they have the best info for their travels

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    complete BS, kinda like all the "stories" that some less than etical shops spin to justify overpriced crap, "This unissued Mosin killed 50 germans", "THE M1 carried by col Dick Winters", "extremely rare 10/22 with STAINLESS BALLEL!!!", "Taurus M44, just like Dirty Harry had", spend enough time at shows or little hole in the wall shops, and you will hear it all. The Current AG Tom Corbett is GINORMOUSLY pro gun, he is the guy that straightened out the police within hours after a single incident where the police arrested someone with a valid FL permit, he also has actively tried to "recruit" more reciprocal states. Getting rid of the home state permit requirement I could belive, but there would be news about it one way or the other, changing the agreement with FL, or dropping a state is unlikely.

nightglider

May 2, 2010
    The guy at the gun shop is very likely talking about HB 2536 which would make it so PA residents must have a PA LTCF. Any other state's license/permit/etc would not be valid. PAFOA and others have been fighting this and have so far succeeded. The Rep who introduced this bill has added some amendments that make it not so clear cut, but are still undesirable.

And yes, in order to get a PA non-res LTCF, you must have a valid license/permit from your state of residence as long as your state of residence has laws providing for one (which means WI and IL residents don't need to worry) along with some other qualifications. A FL/UT permit would still be a MD resident's best bet to carry concealed in PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom