• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My slug gun is a Rem 870 special purpose with the 20" barrel. I use a 2-7X Leupold scope. It likes Winchester supremes. I used to shoot the 3" but had a lot of overpenetration and no expansion so I went to the 2 3/4". I don't like chasing deer.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My slug gun is a Rem 870 special purpose with the 20" barrel. I use a 2-7X Leupold scope. It likes Winchester supremes. I used to shoot the 3" but had a lot of overpenetration and no expansion so I went to the 2 3/4". I don't like chasing deer.
    Ballistic-wise in most manufacturer’s loadings, there is little to no advantage to the 3” slug over the 2-3/4”, unless you really hate your shoulder. I had a bunch of 3” slugs back in the day, and sold or gave them away, they were pointless IMHO.

Of course, I’m referring to 12 gauge slugs. There could be an advantage to the 20 gauge 3” slugs. Others here that hunt with the 20’s could fill you in on that.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ballistic-wise in most manufacturer’s loadings, there is little to no advantage to the 3” slug over the 2-3/4”, unless you really hate your shoulder. I had a bunch of 3” slugs back in the day, and sold or gave them away, they were pointless IMHO.

Of course, I’m referring to 12 gauge slugs. There could be an advantage to the 20 gauge 3” slugs. Others here that hunt with the 20’s could fill you in on that.
    Yeah, I thought the extra velocity would allow me to shoot out further but most of my shots are all within 100yds so there is no real advantage. Shots inside of 50yds zip right through and don't do enough damage. I used to shoot Winchesters that were just a 1oz slug in a sabot they worked well but don't group as well as the newer Supremes.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    On a smoothbore I’d opt for irons or a red dot. Good enough for your AR good enough for a close range SG. Rifled barrel a 2x7, maybe a small 1x4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom