• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    I finally decided on browning x bolt in 3006 hunter thinking now that it’s narrowed down my choice would be easier to buy. Walked into a shop and they had a lot of x bolts but he had an A bolt for 650 with Nikon scope it’s 800. For the price should I get the A bolt with it without scope or just get a new x bolt. Opinions needed!!!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The new A bolts are not the same as the old A bolts. Expedited manufacturing. Lots of plastic.
    I do have one of the newer A bolts too however. Shoots great but just not the same rifle.
    Next to last Browning rifle I bought was an x-bolt based on my experience with the newer A bolts.
    The last most recent Browning rifle purchase was an older NOS/box A bolt in 06. Its still in the box never used it.
    All of the A bolts I have are of the shadow type except the x bolt. They're all for hunting.
    Maybe one day they'll have a B bolt and I can go on about them one day.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    The new A bolts are not the same as the old A bolts. Expedited manufacturing. Lots of plastic.
    I do have one of the newer A bolts too however. Shoots great but just not the same rifle.
    Next to last Browning rifle I bought was an x-bolt based on my experience with the newer A bolts.
    The last most recent Browning rifle purchase was an older NOS/box A bolt in 06. Its still in the box never used it.
    All of the A bolts I have are of the shadow type except the x bolt. They're all for hunting.
    Maybe one day they'll have a B bolt and I can go on about them one day.
    Im confused are you going to sell me that one that sitting in the box? Lol jk…
    Well I’m hell bent on getting a browning that’s one of the bolts. Seems even with the next manufacturing you still decide to buy them would you go A or X in my situation. If it’s X I’ll wait to buy, the A is used I’m assuming so it’s something I would have to get now

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I finally decided on browning x bolt in 3006 hunter thinking now that it’s narrowed down my choice would be easier to buy. Walked into a shop and they had a lot of x bolts but he had an A bolt for 650 with Nikon scope it’s 800. For the price should I get the A bolt with it without scope or just get a new x bolt. Opinions needed!!!

I'll start by saying that I'm not too familiar with Browning rifles generally. I have owned neither Browning offering. And I'm sure some Browning guys will be along. But just by way of mention, you've got a lot of variable parts and pieces going on here.

Is the A-bolt the original A bolt, the similar A-bolt ll, or perhaps even the entirely different and most recent AB3? Which variation?

Similarly with the scope, which model of Nikon is it? One of their entry end Prostaff offerings? A higher end Monarch? Some considerable differences exist between the 2 series there. But also to consider, in either instance, be aware that Nikon has been out of the riflescope business for 3 years now. What was once a lifetime warranty has been modified considerably. And any warranty it may have once had may no longer apply to you at all if you aren't the original owner with a receipt. In sum, look a bit closer before you part with your money. We haven't even touched on condition yet. Or the X-bolt for that matter. But what I'm getting at is that, as with many things, the devil is in the details.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Tika lite 06.
    YMMV
    Tikka?
    I have Model 70 winchesters from 1951 and around 2000 ish .270 and 30-06

I have also heard great things about Savage 110's with Accutriggers. My buddy has one in 300 Win Mag

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    I'll start by saying that I'm not too familiar with Browning rifles generally. I have owned neither Browning offering. And I'm sure some Browning guys will be along. But just by way of mention, you've got a lot of variable parts and pieces going on here.

Is the A-bolt the original A bolt, the similar A-bolt ll, or perhaps even the entirely different and most recent AB3? Which variation?

Similarly with the scope, which model of Nikon is it? One of their entry end Prostaff offerings? A higher end Monarch? Some considerable differences exist between the 2 series there. But also to consider, in either instance, be aware that Nikon has been out of the riflescope business for 3 years now. What was once a lifetime warranty has been modified considerably. And any warranty it may have once had may no longer apply to you at all if you aren't the original owner with a receipt. In sum, look a bit closer before you part with your money. We haven't even touched on condition yet. Or the X-bolt for that matter. But what I'm getting at is that, as with many things, the devil is in the details.

Similarly with the scope, which model of Nikon is it? One of their entry end Prostaff offerings? A higher end Monarch? Some considerable differences exist between the 2 series there. But also to consider, in either instance, be aware that Nikon has been out of the riflescope business for 3 years now. What was once a lifetime warranty has been modified considerably. And any warranty it may have once had may no longer apply to you at all if you aren't the original owner

with a receipt. In sum, look a bit closer before you part with your money. We haven't even touched on condition yet. Or the X-bolt for that matter. But what I'm getting at is that, as with many things, the devil is in the details.
    Making me feel like I should just wait and get the x bolt lol.. considering the Nikon been discontinued it’s atleast 3 years old and yes all the variations..

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Uncle Duke thinks like me.

My other suggestion is to google and get other reviews breakdowns etc.
    Another thing for you OP -- MDRifles. can you use a rifle to hunt in your county or planned hunting counties?
    I have and that’s how I got out of the tie between tikka and browning, in my mind I was just going to get the basic x bolt hunter. When I said this my first bolt action I should have also mentioned I’m new to hunting. My first experience I’m going to a ranch in PA mostly for my freezer lol the price to hunt is close to the price I would pay at local farms. I have a coworker I plan on going out with next year who lease various land for hunting but Maryland have a very limited window for hunting with a rifle regardless. My first hunting rifle I brought was a sfar that I plan to put a can on.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    If I were still hunting today, and I only hunted in PA and MD, I don't think I would get a 30-06. There are much better cartridges today that will cover short and medium range hunting.
    I know people been telling me 270, 6.5 or 243, I have a 308 ar10. I chose 30-06 because I wanted a classic traditional round, which is also why I chose browning being started by an American company, and the color hunter.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    Tikka?

I have also heard great things about Savage 110's with Accutriggers. My buddy has one in 300 Win Mag
    That model 70 Winchester may be what I really want, honestly I initially wanted a classic hunting gun that I’ll use for a couple seasons then put up on the wall, but changed my mind. I’ve went down the rabbit hole with tikka and savage, and American Remington..really I just want something to get some experience and when I have more time and get a little more serious about hunting then I’ll upgrade. But I didn’t want to go really cheap since I plan on keeping it for when a friend or family member come along

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    If I was going to hunt mostly in PA for deer I'd get a 223. Since I plan to hunt in MD and don't live in the bottleneck areas I got a 350 legend. Really any caliber from 223 to -06 will do fine for deer out here, so I'd rather have a lighter/lower recoil gun than an -06. This is just one newbie's opinions though

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Tikka?

K.
    Whatever, LOL!
    I don't have the 3x or whatever but the TiKKKKKA I have is a great rifle. It's light, accurate.
    My neighbor had one in 300 WM that he thought was the cats meow but after a few hunting trips to Wyoming he wanted to sell. He never said but I reckoned too much boom/recoil/whatever/overkill.

The aftermarket on 70 Winchesters, pre 64, IMO, is nuts.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I don't know much about the Brownings, but I can say that for the money, I've yet to find anything that comes close to the value you get with the CVA Cascade series. I've got one in .350 Legend and holy cow is that a nice rifle for the price. With that in mind, they don't make an -06, .308 is the closest you'll find.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I don't know much about the Brownings, but I can say that for the money, I've yet to find anything that comes close to the value you get with the CVA Cascade series. I've got one in .350 Legend and holy cow is that a nice rifle for the price. With that in mind, they don't make an -06, .308 is the closest you'll find.
    Agreed. That's what my 350 is and it's a better shooter than I am by far

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    K.
    Whatever, LOL!
    I don't have the 3x or whatever but the TiKKKKKA I have is a great rifle. It's light, accurate.
    My neighbor had one in 300 WM that he thought was the cats meow but after a few hunting trips to Wyoming he wanted to sell. He never said but I reckoned too much boom/recoil/whatever/overkill.

The aftermarket on 70 Winchesters, pre 64, IMO, is nuts.
    TI-tick, I wasn't picking on you. I mostly was questioning myself if I spelled it wrong in my head with 2 k's.
    I had to google. No worries, bro.

I was at Hap Baker range at the Carroll County landfill about 10 years ago and a fellow shooter had a Tikka.
    He really liked his too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom