• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Complete upper and lower build? Or just a lower?

For the lower, do the springs and detents with the lower in a gallon-size Ziploc bag, if you inevitably have a detent/spring go flying, the bag will keep it close by. We've all had it happen before, so no worries if it happens to you.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For the upper, drive the FA roll pin in from the bottom, if your punch slips off the pin and mars the anodizing - it'll at least be in a less visible location.

I couldn't offer much more advice without knowing the components you're going to use.

The last 3 uppers I've built up for other people, there's been something unexpected that arises - so if something does pop up on your build, try not to stress. It happens. May have to think outside the box, but a solution will come to mind.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Patience and lots of spare change for the curse jar while you are putting the front take down pin in.

There's a few ways of doing the front pin that won't involve copious amounts of cursing and looking for that detent/spring that just went flying, but I'm no good at explaining it - it's easier for some to understand if they see the method in use. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    And the spring for the dust cover, I have yet to find a way that makes it any easier. All I can say is, patience.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Fortunately, using a Seekins forged upper with FA and dust cover already installed. The only part of the process that concerns me is the barrel and handguard installation. Using a BCM KMR handguard.

Don't worry, the instructions for the KMR cover every single step involved.

As long as you have a torque wrench, you're golden. :thumbsup:

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I watched Larry Potterfield from MidwayUSA on Youtube. He has great videos on AR builds, upper and lower. I watched the videos a couple of times than hit the bench, went back once or twice to check on my work, and finished it up easily. First build took about an hour, by the time I got to the fifth I could do it in less than 20, probably 15 minutes. Lot of fun, almost sad when I got finished. Looking forward to doing another soon.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The bolt release roll pin, I have the special punch that has a flat milled into it so it doesn't scratch the lower - but it can done carefully with a normal punch.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't be afraid to apply liberal amounts of masking tape in areas where you'll be driving roll pins etc with punches and hammers. Make sure all your pins and springs are facing in the right direction(some are direction specific). Dry fit a lot of parts before final fitting. That way you avoid headaches later on making sure major parts are in spec and you don't shoot detent pins all over the place...and on that note, good to have extra detent pins on hand just in case.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Video make it look easy enough. My question is how do you get one out? I'd like to change my old style pins that need a screw driver to turn with push pins if possible.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Video make it look easy enough. My question is how do you get one out? I'd like to change my old style pins that need a screw driver to turn with push pins if possible.
    You can use 2 picks. One to wedge the detent down then stick the other in the hole on the mag well to hold the spring back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom