• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I've had this M27 for a while, actually got it at the HoCo gun show. Mangrove over on gunboards was able to find some great documentation on the rifle during his research of Finnish archives. Here's the rifle:
    \
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    M27 Barrel Shank.jpg

The rifle was listed as belonging to one of the companies of Kevyt Osasto 6 (Machine Gun Company of Light Detachment 6) in early 1942, a bicycle infantry unit that was disbanded in early 1942 after Finnish troops had advanced enough at the Karelian Isthmus towards Leningrad and the older men were released from service. The unit was the spearhead of Finnish recapture of the Karelian Isthmus in 1941. Some records with the serial number recorded:
    M27_32150_1_red.jpg
    M27_32150_2_red.jpg

According to the unit war diary, the machine gun company was founded at the village of Kintaus on June 18th, 1941. Most of the men were from the municipality of Petäjävesi. The men gathered at Petäjävesi primary school between the 18th and 19th of June.

The machine gun company moved to Raiskila farm at Kintaus on the 20th of June. Apparently the firearms were issued at this time from a warehouse at Kintaus.

The company was transferred south-east via following waypoints:

June 22nd, Punkasalmi (Punkaharju) railway station,
    June 22nd, Kesälahti and Hepovaara,
    June 28th, “two kilometres from the border”,
    June 30th, “across the border” in unknown location.

Here are some interesting snippets from the diary once they crossed the border:

“June 30th, 1941 At 20.00 Kevyt Osasto 6 crossed the border, proceeding in the direction Myötävaara - Rajala - Parikka. At 22.17, Detachment 1 encountered the enemy supported by two artillery batteries 700 meters south of the Kukkarniva bridge. The Detachment could not advance. Attempts were made to attack the enemy's back, circling Joutsenlampi - East of Varsalampi, but attemps were unsuccessful.

July 1st, 1941. At 10.30 a.m. Major Ehrnroth formed “Battle Division Ehrnroth” Vallden’s battalion and Kevyt Osasto 6. The attack began at 3.30pm with the battalion of Vallden and 2nd company of Kevyt Osasto 6 attacked under the leadership of Major Ehrnroth on the east side of Joutsenlampi - Varsalammi with the aim of the above-mentioned road. The rest of the Kevyt Osasto 6 attacked in the direction of Kankaala Road.

After the artillery preparations, Kankaala was captured at 4.15 pm, after which the heath of Varsalampi was reached. At 10.00 p.m, Koivuaho was reached, when at about 10.15 p.m Captain Hokkanen was killed. Ratsumestari Silen took command of the Detachment. As Jalkaväkirykmentti 28 continued the attack, the Detachment was assembled in the terrain of Myllymäki.

July 3rd, 1941. Scouting in the direction of Jaakkima. The new commander was Captain Sutela.

July 4th, 1941 At 6.00 the Detachment went to help Kuvaja battalion to Ristilahti.

July 5th, 1941 Still clearing the Ristilahti “motti”. 5 armored cars were destroyed.

August 13th, 1941. At 11.00 the attack started from Lapinmäki and at 19.00 Niva Station was in our possession.

August 14th, 1941. At 6.00 the attack continued and at 16.30 Oppola Road and Pajamäki were in our possession, defence line was as follows: Pykälämäki - Toukkalampi - Hepolampi - Tiilikkajärvi - north of Tiilikkajärvi to the west of point 83.5. At 5 p.m., an attack by an enemy convoy from the northeast was repulsed, 17 horses were killed.

August 17th, 1941. At 1 p.m., the Detachment received an order to march into the village of Reuskula, where Captain Sutela ordered the Detachment to group at Hill 52.5 for an attack to the hill 51.8 and towards the Sortavala highway with the task of clearing the hill 62.5 and Sikiö Island, finally aiming at the Nevalahti - Ahvenjärvi isthmus.

The attack began at 5 p.m. The enemy had begun a severe artillery concentration at 4:45 p.m. on the hill where the unit was regrouping, continuing until 5:30 p.m. At 5.15 pm, ratsumestari Paananen was killed. The Detachment, which had suffered heavy losses in artillery fire after repelling an enemy counterattack, defended itself on the north slope of Hill 51.8, from where it was ordered by Major Müller to draw to more favorable terrain to the south slope of Hill 52.5.

August 18th, 1941. At 3.00 the Detachment was moved to the southwest side of Sirkanniemi for regrouping. Ratsumestari Silen was appointed as th CO of the Detachment. At 4 pm, the Detachment moved to rest on the isthmus between Tiilikkajärvi and Latvajärvi by order of Major Inkinen.”

The diary continues through February of 1942, when the unit was disbanded. Although it doesn't tie the rifle to a specific person, it's amazing that this level of information exists, and is something I never thought I would be able to know about a rifle I owned. Thanks again to Mangrove for all his work preserving the history of these rifles for us.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for sharing all this with us! We're lucky to have collecting friends in Finland, willing to help with research.
    I love Finnish small arms, rich in innovation and history, esp. when you compare them with other countries that fielded the MN. Have a M28/30 that I love shooting. A honey of a rifle.
    FYI, there's a treasure trove of nice Finn MNs, including a rare RV, coming up for sale in the next Poulin auction. That one, if correct, should easily clear the $3k mark.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice. I’ve got several more Civil Guard rifle’s I need to have Mangrove research for me. I’ve got a VKT M27 I’d like to see if any records exist for, but the serial number wasn’t in his list.

Was your serial number listed? Or was he able to just look it up?

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Nice. I’ve got several more Civil Guard rifle’s I need to have Mangrove research for me. I’ve got a VKT M27 I’d like to see if any records exist for, but the serial number wasn’t in his list.

Was your serial number listed? Or was he able to just look it up?
    He posted an updated list a month or so ago and my serial was listed. I think generally the civil guard rifles have more info available than others since they kept a lot of records, so would be worth it to send him the serials/S numbers

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for sharing all this with us! We're lucky to have collecting friends in Finland, willing to help with research.
    I love Finnish small arms, rich in innovation and history, esp. when you compare them with other countries that fielded the MN. Have a M28/30 that I love shooting. A honey of a rifle.
    FYI, there's a treasure trove of nice Finn MNs, including a rare RV, coming up for sale in the next Poulin auction. That one, if correct, should easily clear the $3k mark.

Will be interesting to see what that RV goes for. I’m out of the market now since I just picked up something else that was quite pricey lol. The 28/30 is a fantastic piece and one I always like to take to the range

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Awesome info on the M27, Red! Martti is definitely a huge benefit to the Finn collecting community.
    I’ve been using him for almost eight years now to slowly build provenance to my collection.
    It’s always pot-luck on the info he can dig up on a specific rifle. Sometimes it’s just an issue date with a later barrel check, all the way to sending me pictures and records of the soldier it was issued to, as well as an address to the family farm in the 1920’s (from Civil Guard records).

Congrats again! It sounds like we need an Anne Arundel county Finn collection get together ;)

Last edited:

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Awesome info on the M27, Red! Martti is definitely a huge benefit to the Finn collecting community.
    I’ve been using him for almost eight years now to slowly build provenance to my collection.
    It’s always pot-luck on the info he can dig up on a specific rifle. Sometimes it’s just an issue date with a later barrel check, all the way to sending me pictures and records of the soldier it was issued to, as well as an address to the family farm in the 1920’s (from Civil Guard records).

Congrats again! It sounds like we need an Anne Arundel county Finn collection get together ;)

Yeah he’s a great resource, it is interesting I have several 28/30s that turned up nothing but he was able to find all this for this rifle.

I would love that, always enjoy seeing others collections. If there’s any real demand for it, I could reserve some range time at AGC for a show and tell and shoot

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Yeah he’s a great resource, it is interesting I have several 28/30s that turned up nothing but he was able to find all this for this rifle.

I would love that, always enjoy seeing others collections. If there’s any real demand for it, I could reserve some range time at AGC for a show and tell and shoot

LOL! That’s a very kind offer, but AGC is on the other side of the world for me.
    If I’m shooting rifles, I’m driving an additional 25min to Delmarva :D
    Plus, I’m one of those weirdo collector-only guys. I have plenty of regular firearms to shoot, I don’t shoot my milsurps. I wanted to buy a refurb SVT to shoot, but those are all well out of my comfort zone. If I’m paying that kind of money, I’m buying a collectible example.

We can certainly talk via PMs about any potential meet up location. It can even be just a bar to talk shop. No firearms necessary :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom