• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Timing is everything. Opportunity is wasted if it comes knocking when you're not prepared to take advantage of it. Recently I've had to turn down a couple of great opportunities to add very cool pieces to the collection. But my world was in a state of flux at the time and I had to pass. Then a month later everything settles down and I'm ready to say "yes" to what comes knocking at my door.
    -In this case is was a MDS member who gave me a second chance at a wonderful item from his collection. I had just watched a rare Estonian FN GP35 sell strong at auction and had High Powers on my mind so the timing was perfect. What he offered was an early Finnish GP35, issued to an air force officer. Matching and in great condition I jumped on the chance to add it to the herd.
    -A couple of months earlier a Canadian collection of holsters came to market and while I struck out on a sweet Steyr Hahn holster I did snag a fantastic European built reproduction FN High Power holster stock. Hermann Historicia sold one of these a couple of years ago for a tidy sum so I was interested and got it stupid cheap. A good place holder until I can find (and afford) an original.
    -This GP35 has a nice SA marked magazine and is in original condition, no arsenal rework or mods. Only the later army issued GP35s will have the SA property mark on the pistol so this one is correct sans that stamping. One interesting item is the wear mark in the center of the left grip panel. That came from being stored in the shoulder stock holster, where the attaching rivet rubbed.
    -About 2400 High Powers went to Finland, falling in the 11,000 to 15,000 range. The only Finnish marks are those applied by Finn inspectors who were stationed at FN's factory. You'll find them on the right-side trigger guard.

Attachments

• IMGP0308.JPG
      IMGP0308.JPG
      148.3 KB · Views: 40
    • IMGP0309.JPG
      IMGP0309.JPG
      137.9 KB · Views: 45
    • IMGP0310.JPG
      IMGP0310.JPG
      354.9 KB · Views: 42
    • IMGP0311.JPG
      IMGP0311.JPG
      370.7 KB · Views: 42
    • IMGP0313.JPG
      IMGP0313.JPG
      340.2 KB · Views: 41
    • IMGP0314.JPG
      IMGP0314.JPG
      323.3 KB · Views: 39
    • IMGP0316.JPG
      IMGP0316.JPG
      277.5 KB · Views: 44

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Fortune favors the prepared.

Every Mawkie thread is like Christmas, a trip to the museum and almost my birthday put together.

BZ
    Agreed, fortune favors the prepared. Too bad I wasn't prepared when the kind gentlemen who sold this to me came earlier with a nice Finn marked Swedish Browning 1907. At the time my brother and I were trying to finagle another classic auto for restoration, a Porsche 914. So I had to hold funds in reserve in case that deal happened. So the Browning went to another home. But not long after the Porsche deal fell through and I had funds available (along with a hefty one-time refund from the IRS) so when this gentleman was kind enough to give me a second chance at something else I was all set to go.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Dieudonné Saive just doesn't get enough credit for the High Power, he's primarily known for his FAL. It is a superb design. Of all the handguns in use in WW2 this would be my choice if I had to carry an issue HG. High praise from someone who started with and still uses a highly modified Colt Combat Commander. Makes me wonder what JM Browning's version of the HP would have looked like had he lived long enough to complete it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom