• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Unless your vision includes the phrases Coke Bottle or Seeing Eye Dog) None of the above .

Particularly as a Rifle Rookie , Step One is to work on your basic gun handling and marksmanship first , with stock gun , with iron sights . Ammo , range time , and coaching/ instruction as available to you .

After some basic proficiency , you will be able to have a meaningful opinion as to what ( if any) you wish to add / change .

( No slam to you Doc , that's what I tell everyone .)

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    AR. The adult Lego toy. I've taken ALL the crap that I hung on it years ago...OFF. My objective has been to lighten it for fast handling. I'm down to ~6.75 lbs.

It is amazing how that rifle becomes heavy on a long road march (no shoulder sling allowed). That was when I wished I just have the M-1 Carbine.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    ( Unless your vision includes the phrases Coke Bottle or Seeing Eye Dog) None of the above .

Particularly as a Rifle Rookie , Step One is to work on your basic gun handling and marksmanship first , with stock gun , with iron sights . Ammo , range time , and coaching/ instruction as available to you .

After some basic proficiency , you will be able to have a meaningful opinion as to what ( if any) you wish to add / change .

( No slam to you Doc , that's what I tell everyone .)

That’s reasonable and fair. This is definitely unchartered territory for me

Army66-87

Jul 22, 2021
    Ammo 2A Warehouse
    Mags Magazine Warehouse. Will need to "relocate" out of Maryland to have them shipped to you.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I love my Windham. I've had it for 6+ yrs and left the iron sights on it until very recently (age catching up with me, I guess) and got some optics. Mine came with the stock (A2) and MLok handguards, so I have the MLok (full floaters) on it now. Everything else is bone-stock. Like the guys said, just add ammo and mags, repeat as necessary, stir, and you're good to go.

Yes, you can spend a lot of money on 'stuffz' but, when it comes down to it, they're made to shoot. So shoot it and have fun. Get good with it, find out what it doesn't do 'great' and make changes as necessary. I'm fine with my Windham the way it is, but I NEEDED the optics and know I will miss my iron sights. I'm sure I'll start spending the big money on my builds, but don't tell my wife that's where the milk money is going. ;)

I had a tougher time letting go of the iron sights on my HK416D, but finally got optics for it, too...for the same reason. Not a failing of the weapon, just my eyesight.

My M1 Carbine is NEVER going to get optics.

Ever. :D

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    OH, and....

Ammo is out there. It's heinously expensive but it's available and I've seen prices coming down from the most recent 'peaks.' If you're not looking to reload, you can get steel cased ammo relatively cheap; Wolf, Tul, Etc.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    OH, and....

Ammo is out there. It's heinously expensive but it's available and I've seen prices coming down from the most recent 'peaks.' If you're not looking to reload, you can get steel cased ammo relatively cheap; Wolf, Tul, Etc.
    Bass Pro had more ammo in stock the other day than I could have been able to purchase - pretty much every caliber and type. The prices were still higher than what I'd want to pay, but it was there nonetheless.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I love my Windham. I've had it for 6+ yrs and left the iron sights on it until very recently (age catching up with me, I guess) and got some optics. Mine came with the stock (A2) and MLok handguards, so I have the MLok (full floaters) on it now. Everything else is bone-stock. Like the guys said, just add ammo and mags, repeat as necessary, stir, and you're good to go.

Yes, you can spend a lot of money on 'stuffz' but, when it comes down to it, they're made to shoot. So shoot it and have fun. Get good with it, find out what it doesn't do 'great' and make changes as necessary. I'm fine with my Windham the way it is, but I NEEDED the optics and know I will miss my iron sights. I'm sure I'll start spending the big money on my builds, but don't tell my wife that's where the milk money is going. ;)

I had a tougher time letting go of the iron sights on my HK416D, but finally got optics for it, too...for the same reason. Not a failing of the weapon, just my eyesight.

My M1 Carbine is NEVER going to get optics.

Ever. :D

To add…
    I have a RRA barreled 16” HBAR carbine I built. I had the standard carbine handguards on it forever. It was deadly on clays and broken pieces of clays at 110 yards. At multigun matches it gave up nothing to the higher end guns. Just recently I put a ‘drop in’ DD rail in it. Free floats it, basically. But only because the price on the DD handguard was hard to pass up…65% reduction.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Bass Pro had more ammo in stock the other day than I could have been able to purchase - pretty much every caliber and type. The prices were still higher than what I'd want to pay, but it was there nonetheless.

And the price has been dropping every couple of weeks. Not sure where it will stabilize. The Trump years were glut years for ammo. I don’t think we’ll see that again in the next three years.

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Go easy on me…….I grabbed a windham weaponry R16A4T. This is my first experience with a long gun aside from an 870 express.

I can already tell this is gonna be fun and expensive. New quad rail hand guard is coming, as is a scope, light and sling. I’m thinking I’m gonna need a trigger swap too but I’m gonna send a few rounds down range before committing to that.

any pics???

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Well if your gonna start upgrading be careful because once you do will wind up building one then you’ll have 3 or 4 in / with different variations. Took me awhile to buy one .Not much interest always hunting stuff .Then they started saying I CANT have one made me want one. Fun to shoot and tinker with .Actually nice predator rifle I have found it to be .

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Well if your gonna start upgrading be careful because once you do will wind up building one then you’ll have 3 or 4 in / with different variations. Took me awhile to buy one .Not much interest always hunting stuff .Then they started saying I CANT have one made me want one. Fun to shoot and tinker with .Actually nice predator rifle I have found it to be .

Amen, I think I’m up to 8

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Yes, ALL types of predators. May see them in the near future.....

Sirex