• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone knows you should not bring a knife to a gun fight or bare hands to a knife fight but sometimes you are not given the choice of what to bring. Yes we should all be martial arts black belts but not everyone is. So I give you some youtube videos originally from our government to get you thinking about the subject because when TSHTF you and yours may need it.

Here are parts 1 & 2 of hand to hand combat together

And part 3

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Back when I was young, and took martial arts, one thing our instructor branched off and taught us was Escrima, Philipino (sp?) stick fighting. To be honest, I really hated it at the time. I wanted to learn something cool, like a sword, or other blades or steel weaponry. But as I got older, I realized how practical the art was. I mean, you can find sticks anywhere. I repair copier/plotter/printers for a living, and Baltimore used to be my territory, with some accounts in very sketchy areas. I always have a knife in my car, but I also keep a couple of 3ft steel rods in my car, copier drum shafts. If I ever have to use them, and they will most definitely hurt someone, I can just say they are copier parts, because, they are.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I took a Stickfighting class in 2021 with Kelly McCann.

For exactly the reasons already stated. I'm often in environments that don't allow for guns or knives, yet I can find a stick-like object anywhere.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Cardio is it's own form of self defense... especially for edged weapon encounters.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I took a Stickfighting class in 2021 with Kelly McCann.

For exactly the reasons already stated. I'm often in environments that don't allow for guns or knives, yet I can find a stick-like object anywhere.

*****Yep. Stickfighting is a great workout too. Folks that don't stick fight, or who consider themselves more lovers than fighters, are often surprised to find out how taxing flailing dual sticks are especially when there is money involved and people are betting for and against you!

Sylvester Stallone was absolutely *jacked* and vein popping ripped during his stick fighting scene in Rambo III. We should all strive to be like Rambo and be able to stick fight while looking phenomenal, yet remaining humble! Pro tip: don't forget to tie a red ribbon to keep sweat as well as your long hair out of your eyes before engaging in stick fighting.

stallone4.jpg

rambo3.jpg
    rambo2.jpg
    rambo1.jpg

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    *****Yep. Stickfighting is a great workout too. Folks that don't stick fight, or who consider themselves more lovers than fighters, are often surprised to find out how taxing flailing dual sticks are especially when there is money involved and people are betting for and against you!

Sylvester Stallone was absolutely *jacked* and vein popping ripped during his stick fighting scene in Rambo III. We should all strive to be like Rambo and be able to stick fight while looking phenomenal, yet remaining humble! Pro tip: don't forget to tie a red ribbon to keep sweat as well as your long hair out of your eyes before engaging in stick fighting.

View attachment 391735

View attachment 391732 View attachment 391733 View attachment 391734
    Not sure if my sarcasm meter is malfunctioning.

I agree that stickfighting can be good for cardio, depending on what exactly you're doing.

The Rambo stuff....? Not sure what that's about.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    "Never fight until you have to. But when it's time to fight, you fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark… and brother, it's startin' to rain."

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Not sure if my sarcasm meter is malfunctioning.

I agree that stickfighting can be good for cardio, depending on what exactly you're doing.

The Rambo stuff....? Not sure what that's about.

*****Rambo looked cool, and did stick fighting in Rambo III. I already know how to stickfight. If one can look cool *and* stickfight they are double trouble indeed. There's winning through intimidation and you don't even have to have the biggest stick. Having a big stick helps though. Size is important.

Sometimes, not looking like a pushover or easy mark makes you less of a target. Predators often look for the weak as an easy mark.

Stick work, Indian clubs, and other similar modalities can be used for both cardio as well as some strength training - particularly muscular endurance which most inactive people lack, and some health clubs offer classes that are practical even though they are mostly fitness versus defense based. Some MMA gyms do both - fitness and defense.

Cheers

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I still like knives for close in fighting. There is nothing that approaches the instantaneous brutality and lethality of knife fighting.

Now if the other person has a knife i am getting the hell out of there no questions asked.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I was awarded my black belt at age 66. Part of that program was the use of a cane. Something the older folks might consider looking into. Lots of videos on the subject.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm unarmed in Chicago right now... well not completely unarmed. My travel self defense weapon is a fitted leather case with a long flap... it holds a couple rolls of quarters and makes an effective blackjack. Completely inoquious if I get stopped. That and a couple of years of BJJ if I have to go hands on... all in all, I'd rather have a gun with me.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'm unarmed in Chicago right now... well not completely unarmed. My travel self defense weapon is a fitted leather case with a long flap... it holds a couple rolls of quarters and makes an effective blackjack. Completely inoquious if I get stopped. That and a couple of years of BJJ if I have to go hands on... all in all, I'd rather have a gun with me.
    Get yourself a cane and use it enough so it feels natural. I like a solid hickory.

Stock-man Canes

Polymer canes

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Cardio is it's own form of self defense... especially for edged weapon encounters.

Yep. Cardio is critical for any physical encounter. Not running cardio either, you need HIIT. Most fights last less than 30 seconds.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Started carrying a Bubba Stik a few years ago along with a knife(Gibb's rule #9).
    Thankful that permits are finally obtainable for those of us that are now too old to fight or run.
    Still carry a knife and Bubba Stik as backup.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I carry pepper spray and a knife where-ever I can, which, at this point, seems to be a lot more places than my gun around here. Unfortunately, my CRKT M16-10S is .06" over the legal limit in DC, so I sometimes have to leave that at home. I suppose I should hunt up something a little shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom