• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I do need to learn some alternative defensive techniques. I find relying only on the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique to be very limiting.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    *****Yep. Stickfighting is a great workout too. Folks that don't stick fight, or who consider themselves more lovers than fighters, are often surprised to find out how taxing flailing dual sticks are especially when there is money involved and people are betting for and against you!

Sylvester Stallone was absolutely *jacked* and vein popping ripped during his stick fighting scene in Rambo III. We should all strive to be like Rambo and be able to stick fight while looking phenomenal, yet remaining humble! Pro tip: don't forget to tie a red ribbon to keep sweat as well as your long hair out of your eyes before engaging in stick fighting.

View attachment 391735

View attachment 391732 View attachment 391733 View attachment 391734

You mean the guy who got put in the hospital when he told Dolph Lundgren (a 4th dan black belt and European martial arts champion) to "hit me for real" during the filming of Rocky 4? (Hit him hard enough to cause Sly's heart to swell up)

Looking good and being good are two separate things, bud.

Like this:

Attachments

• 152355929_2181439921990285_8177693549016974123_n.jpg
      152355929_2181439921990285_8177693549016974123_n.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 92

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Looking good and being good are two separate things, bud.

Like this:

*****If given the option, I'd like to look good and be good. Also, given how rare civilized normal people ever get in "fights" - especially as adults, I'd rather just look good, be healthy, be fit, and watch their movies and tv shows. I'm more of a lover than a fighter myself, and am generally very passive unless I get a bit cranky from being hangry.

Big fan of Al Bundy though - legendary football player at Polk High. He scored four touchdowns in a single game, married his high school sweetheart, and retired from football to become a well regarded ladies footwear salesmen. I am very aware of the actors off-screen martial arts accomplishments as well.

polk.jpg

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Antifa seems to prefer hammers. I suspect you need to keep your hammer in a knapsack, or other bag, but I don't know. I have never wandered around shopping or watching movies or hitting the pub with a hammer, maybe no one notices.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Antifa seems to prefer hammers. I suspect you need to keep your hammer in a knapsack, or other bag, but I don't know. I have never wandered around shopping or watching movies or hitting the pub with a hammer, maybe no one notices.
    Get an outside the waistband hammer holder and open carry, not illegal and quick on the draw.

Link to hammer holders:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I thought it was bike locks.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've watched a guy's self defense videos a few times. I'm not sure what his bona fides are he's not too big, seems to be MMA.

Anyway, he was demoing these devices both essentially the same, one was called a "Stinger" basically a handgrip into which was inserted a length of cable maybe 15-18 inches long with a flexible plastic covering. The "Stinger" cable looked to be about 3/8 inch diameter with the other being thinner. They took turns hitting each other with it and it took them a while to recover from even moderate strikes. The good thing was that you could thread them through your belt loops for a kinda concealment and bring it to bear fairly quickly. Not for EDC but if you are expecting problems...

The other thing he recommends as his #1 self defense tool, is a small bright flashlight for, obviously, night, to blind an attacker and escape.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I've watched a guy's self defense videos a few times. I'm not sure what his bona fides are he's not too big, seems to be MMA.

Anyway, he was demoing these devices both essentially the same, one was called a "Stinger" basically a handgrip into which was inserted a length of cable maybe 15-18 inches long with a flexible plastic covering. The "Stinger" cable looked to be about 3/8 inch diameter with the other being thinner. They took turns hitting each other with it and it took them a while to recover from even moderate strikes. The good thing was that you could thread them through your belt loops for a kinda concealment and bring it to bear fairly quickly. Not for EDC but if you are expecting problems...

The other thing he recommends as his #1 self defense tool, is a small bright flashlight for, obviously, night, to blind an attacker and escape.
    Whats his name?

Unarmed self defense shows you how important some sort of wrestling / grappling is.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If i was younger i might entertain such an endeavor, i just won't be that guy unless extreme adrenaline kicks in. Great concept for those that can.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I taught both my daughters how to utilize whatever they have in reach. They enjoyed the orange curb markers typically located at most shopping/parking lots. Nice solid piece of fiberglass across the face.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My BJJ academy(York BJJ) is starting up a self defense class soon, a couple nights a week, simplified and less athletic than the usual BJJ/Judo/MMA classes. We have really good instructors, the one doing the SD class is a 3rd degree BJJ black belt and police department instructor in the area. I've done a few martial arts over the years including PMA with weapons, even a little kendo. They are nowhere near as useful as BJJ/MMA, pretty much any new student is in for the shock of their life for their first roll with basically any higher belt.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I took Northern Shaolin when younger and they pretty much taught boxing and learned real fast with inter school meets. That schools that taught using form moves in fighting took longer, but they fought better. The form dragonfist pretty much taught you slap him in the nuts, grab them and try and rip them off while choping with your left fist on them. I'm pretty sure they won't come off, but his will to fight will be gone. Throat chops, knee stomps and other stuff people would consider unfair. Chin Na grappling and showing breaking elbows and the elbow and knee attacks were pretty wicked, but obviously noting you can practice in full contact either.

I got into full contact and did Iron Palm on my shins. That was brutal and if someone kicked, I'd block with my shin and a couple guys got a knot 1/2" high. My bone density increase and my pain receptors in the shin where numbed. I understood how those Tai boxers could break ash trays on their shins. One or two of those and guys lost the will to spar. That and a dislocated left shoulder took me out for a year and a half. Moved west and did other things.

Also found out, no matter how good you are someone always has your number. One guy Mike worked at the school. He was a EMT and joined the air force later. I could perform better and just not beat him. I couldn't hurt him and it was like he didn't feel pain. Sparring full contact one night he gets me covered against the mirrored wall and pounding me. My hands up protecting my head and hazy some looking at the carpet, thinking I'm getting my azz beat like this. So I push off him on the wall and create from distance, lunge out and front kick him between the nipples and pick him off the ground and back three feet. He pull his shirt up and sees the red mark and goes "nice kick". I just said "That's it, I'm done, you win!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom