• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Curious to hear if anyone has a favorite 22cal plinking bullet that they like to use in their AR15? Has any used the hornady 55gr soft point w/ cannelure bullet? They seem pretty reasonably price and perhaps fit the role as general role plinking use. How's their accuracy?

Like to hear what bullets you are reloading in your AR15. Or do you think its better off just buying the m193, etc. when it goes on sale as your cheap plinking needs? How are you feeding yours?
    I've had good luck with the Hornady 55 gr btsp bullets with Accurate 2460 powder. Good accuracy and low SD/ES.

Just ordered some of their 55 gr fmj's to try out.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "Curious to hear if anyone has a favorite 22cal plinking bullet"'
    No. I don't do "plinking ammo".
    All ammo loaded for precision.
    55gr. SBK for furry targets
    69gr. SMK for precision (out to 200/300 on calmer days)
    77gr. SMK for precision (windier days 200/300+ distances)

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Bought a bunch of General Dynamics 55 grain pills a few years back that have produced excellent results in my ARs.

Developed a load that is very close to M-193 in my testing, but slightly better accuracy. My handloads are 1 MOA, M-193 is about 1.5 MOA in my testing.

Results with RMR 69 grain JHPs has been fairly impressive for the price point. Planning to try some of their 55 grain pills because of the quality I have seen in their other, in-house bullets. I use a lot of their 9mm offerings and get consistent performance. I have never been disappointed in an order from them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No. I don't do "plinking ammo".
    All ammo loaded for precision.
    I sort of get this, but if you're going out and shooting 50-200yd steel frequently, using premium bullets doesn't make a lot of financial sense. As I commented earlier, I do think there's some value in the idea of using semi-premium bullets like RMR 69s/75s as daily drivers unless you're shooting truly high round counts (like 5-10k+ per year), if only because you don't need to deal with multiple zeros in your guns.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I sort of get this, but if you're going out and shooting 50-200yd steel frequently, using premium bullets doesn't make a lot of financial sense. As I commented earlier, I do think there's some value in the idea of using semi-premium bullets like RMR 69s/75s as daily drivers unless you're shooting truly high round counts (like 5-10k+ per year), if only because you don't need to deal with multiple zeros in your guns.
    If I can hit it using crap ammo, I need a smaller target!:lol:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I can hit it using crap ammo, I need a smaller target!:lol:
    Put yourself on a timer, do a hard sprint first, and then give it a whirl. Even 6x11 A-zone targets at 150-200 will give you a challenge. That is to say, I don't spend much time shooting off a bench to see how small I can get my groups. This is a strong reason for why talking about how you're shooting is important in discussions like this.

I'm not discounting the need for raw accuracy, and I certainly shoot a couple groups to check it out, but I don't consider sub-MOA accuracy to be a requirement for my practice ammo, or even my match ammo. Give me something 1-1.5MOA for the match, or up to 3 MOA for practice, and I'm fine. If I can accept that kind of accuracy, why break the bank and waste my time loading to some standard that I don't require?

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Back when Obama got elected the first time, I got caught with my pants down regarding 22lr ammo. Back then I only had a bolt action 223rem so I was exploring options of how to download it 22lr. levels with titegroup or trail boss. That's when I stumble upon those hornady 55gr sp w/ cannelure.

Since then, I learned my lesson and stock up on 22lr ammo so as not to get caught short handed again. I've also acquire an AR15. I know feeding that can get expensive so thought why not use those 55gr hornady's I had on hand from Obama era.

Meanwhile I have also acquired a 223rem tikka ctr that can handle longer than mag length thus want to try those hornady 75gr eld-m & play around with those sierra 77gr tmk (even though they'll fit mag length constrictions).

I'll use the lake city brass for the AR and the Lapua brass for the bolt action. At least that was made thought process if that makes sense.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    erwos - CHILL!
    I was just kidding!
    Everybody has different interests and different approaches in their shooting. I'm A-OK with all. I happen to be overly(?) precision focused, with the associated OCD. (BTW - I shoot BR, PRS, Silhouette and "Battle Rifle" competitively.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom