• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    The Spring 2015 GCA (Garand Collectors Association) Journal has an article about the FAKE Collector Grade M1's. These rifles were manufactured and the certificates forged In Eldersburg, Maryland. The article names the main perpetrator, Bruce Bowers, and implies others were involved. The article is 3 pages long with lots of information. It clearly proves Bruce forged the certificates.

I was one of the people ripped-off by Bruce. I traded one of my nicer M1's to Bruce for one of his FAKE Collector Grade M1's (unknown to me). Once the SHTF on the CMP forum about the FAKE Collector Grades Bruce called me. He asked if he could get the rifle back. He stated that he had "found a consecutive numbered M1" and wanted to trade for the rifle I got from him. I like helping fellow collectors so I agreed. When I got home and looked at the certificate I instantly realized it was the same FAKE certificate as I had seen on the CMP forum. I called Bruce and told him the certificate was FAKE and if he didn't want to trade that was OK. Bruce insisted he still wanted to trade so we traded. I didn't get back the M1 I originally traded but another one with no CMP certificate.

I don't understand why Bruce would build the rifles and forge the certificates. He had wanted to be a M1 "Guru", that won't happen now. The article was, in my opinion, written to discredit Bruce and make him a pariah in the M1 collector community. I think they achieved that goal.

I don't hate Bruce or wish him any harm. However I condemn his actions and the damage he's done to the M1 collector community. I believe his FAKES will continue to surface for years to come. Only Bruce knows how many are out there.
    Be careful with your collecting, even the experts will rip you off!

JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    WOW That really sucks that he would do that to you. Since you wish him no ill will , I will do it for you .Hope he gets a flat ( make that two ) tire on route 6 pass Nanjemoy MD. About odark thirty on a Friday night

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I can back up Rickhead in regard to the article written in the most recent GCA printed matter as I briefed through it Saturday 05/02 at a meeting involving several people in my shop that day. There were no allegations directed towards Bruce, all infractions directed towards him were written as though they were fact, not alleged.

I know Bruce personally and have had many dealings with him over the many years/decades that I've known him. I never once thought or even imagined that he would pull a stunt like this to discredit/disgrace the firearms community. It has been indicated at least by a few that there will be lawsuits brought forth against Bruce if any of a few persons (I'm not included) received a fake "forged collector grade" M1 Garand from him and PAID the "collector grade price" for a forged gun. Just as Rickhead or JS stated, I wish no ill will towards Bruce and furthermore by me, actually do hope by some means or miracle that Bruce doesn't have any knowing involvement in this forgery scheme and if said be true, will prevail in a court of law to clear his name.

Last edited:

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    WOW That really sucks that he would do that to you. Since you wish him no ill will , I will do it for you .Hope he gets a flat ( make that two ) tire on route 6 pass Nanjemoy MD. About odark thirty on a Friday night
    That's too funny!:lol2::lol2::lol2:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i also know Bruce and find it hard to believe he would do something like this. i will wait and see how this plays out.
    :thumbsup:

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Honestly the only way I'd buy a "Collector Grade" gun is if it came from the CMP. There are so many people out there faking everything that it always makes me leary of buying. You may pay more for one (when the CMP had them) but at least you know the source is legit.

People sometimes go through tough times that make them do things they normally wouldn't do. Hopefully the customers who bought are reimbursed and the seller doesn't get financially ruined by any lawsuits.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    There's a guy near Hagerstown who's been making fake war rifles for years, including but not limited to American, British, and Russian makes.

Orlando

While I do not know "Bruce" personally everything does point towards him as faking these certificates and passing off Field and Service Grades as Collector grade rifles. If he is innocent why did he never once stand up for himself on the CMP forum which he is a member?

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    To clarify: CMP Collector Grade M1's derive a substantial portion of their value from their certificates. Without the CMP Collector Grade certificate a correct M1 is just a correct M1. Anyone can put period correct parts on a rifle. To forge the CMP certificate and pass off a lesser value rifle as a Collector Grade is theft by fraud. Collector Grade CMP M1's start around $1,500 and go higher depending on the particular rifle. Felony theft occurs when the value of the loss exceeds $500. In Maryland the maximum punishment for felony theft is 15 years in jail and or a fine of $25,000. There's no statute of limitations for felony theft.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    There's a guy near Hagerstown who's been making fake war rifles for years, including but not limited to American, British, and Russian makes. Is that person still doing it? There is an older guy that is unloading a lot of gi guns and accesories for about the past year from sniper rifles and Johnsons and 1911s and everything in between, very methodical and cAnt be pushed as to what and how many and the order he does them,

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I know Bruce. Well, I -knew- him, as I haven't seen him or talked to him for a few years. I used to see him @ AGC or the local gun shows all the time.

I bought my first Grand from him. A really nice mixmaster Korean era 5.3 million Springfield with a beautiful walnut stock. Nothing "collector" or "correct" about it. Just a very nice rifle, for a very fair price...

It's a shame what's happened...

388187139.jpg

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't know Bruce at all. Never heard of him. I do have a rule that I live by....never trust a guy named Bruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom