• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I haven't seen the briefings but wouldn't this simply be a VA preemption violation or has Democratic control of the state done away with that?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This applies to Fairfax Va but has national implications post Bruen

An excellent reminder of what historically is a "sensitive place" and that parks don't qualify among many other places.

Some folks complain that guy is too long-winded. Maybe. But he is thorough and detailed and that is what counts.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    An excellent reminder of what historically is a "sensitive place" and that parks don't qualify among many other places.
    the problem is they don't care what qualifies and what doesn't. they put their bullsh1t laws in place and you're going to jail if you break them. at some point years down the road, the courts may overturn, with absolutely no effect on the lawmakers, no fines, no jail time, no nothing.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    the problem is they don't care what qualifies and what doesn't. they put their bullsh1t laws in place and you're going to jail if you break them. at some point years down the road, the courts may overturn, with absolutely no effect on the lawmakers, no fines, no jail time, no nothing.
    That could be one of the biggest wins for the country - punishment for KNOWINGLY creating laws that violate people's rights. The DO KNOW they are pissing on COTUS.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    SCOTUS said there are 3 historical analogues for sensitive places.

1. Court Houses
    2. Legislatures
    3. Schools

That’s it.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I haven't seen the briefings but wouldn't this simply be a VA preemption violation or has Democratic control of the state done away with that?

Yes, the preemption rollback with respect to some locations was one of the first bills to get rammed through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That could be one of the biggest wins for the country - punishment for KNOWINGLY creating laws that violate people's rights. The DO KNOW they are pissing on COTUS.
    But that's nearly impossible to prove in court absent them circulating an email among the legislators saying, "Now, we all know this is unconstitutional, but we're doing it anyway, right?" Instead, they just say that they believe their new law/rule/reg is well within their interpretation of the constitution and recent rulings, so of course it's OK. That's it. Prove they don't believe that, right? Very difficult.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    But that's nearly impossible to prove in court absent them circulating an email among the legislators saying, "Now, we all know this is unconstitutional, but we're doing it anyway, right?" Instead, they just say that they believe their new law/rule/reg is well within their interpretation of the constitution and recent rulings, so of course it's OK. That's it. Prove they don't believe that, right? Very difficult.
    well if it walks and quacks like a duck... all moot anyways as no one is on the hook for any bad deeds. total UNaccountability.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Folks have to prove things all the time as defendants. For legislators, take for example the new W&C fee increases. Unless they can prove via financial documents the doubling was necessary, it was purely punitive.

Looking at Swinokur's post, a ban on carry at Texas Roadhouse doesn't fit "school" "courthouse" or "legislature" so how'd they get it wrong when the bills passed 6 or so months after the SCOTUS decision? There was more than enough time to read and understand the ruling.

Anyway, (stealing from 4 boxes diner) the reason for the 3 exceptions was they were already guarded by men with guns, so there wasn't a need to bring one's own.

I know reality. Just as I can dream of being an astronaut or beamed aboard a starship from the year 2268, I can dream of politicians being held accountable for their chicanery. I know all have the same chance. Just my inner child throwing a tantrum.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    My mom always said that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    SCOTUS said there are 3 historical analogues for sensitive places.

1. Court Houses
    2. Legislatures
    3. Schools

That’s it.
    I believe the three called out in Bruen were:
    1. Court Houses (protected by Bailiffs)
    2. Legislatures (protected by Sargent's At Arms)
    3. Polling Places (protected by Sheriffs and Deputes)

At the time of the founding the only people prohibited from carrying in schools were the students. Back then colleges and universities often had students that were in their early teens and the schools had a special relationship with the students, Locis Parentice (Sp ?) i.e. acting as the parents of these students. However the teachers, staff, and visitors were not banned from being armed.

Mark Smith covers the three places starting at the 2:50 mark in this video:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe the three called out in Bruen were:
    1. Court Houses (protected by Bailiffs)
    2. Legislatures (protected by Sargent's At Arms)
    3. Polling Places (protected by Sheriffs and Deputes)

At the time of the founding the only people prohibited from carrying in schools were the students. Back then colleges and universities often had students that were in their early teens and the schools had a special relationship with the students, Locis Parentice (Sp ?) i.e. acting as the parents of these students. However the teachers, staff, and visitors were not banned from being armed.

Mark Smith covers the three places starting at the 2:50 mark in this video:

You are corrrct. I goofed

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Update from Court Listener link above:

Order Rule 16(b) Scheduling Order - Pursuant to the Rule 16(b) Conference 1. All discovery shall be concluded by June 14, 2024.2. The Joint Discovery Plan is approved and shall control discovery to the extent of its application unless further modified by the court.3. At the request of the parties, the pretrial conference scheduled for Wednesday, February 7, 2024, at 11:00 a.m. is cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom