• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Everything's made in China.

Bought a Friedrich dehumidifier that said "Made in America" right on the label. Paid a premium for it.

Said dehumidifier failed after a year, just like all the others. Took it apart.

Compressor was made in China

Circuit board was made in China

Drain pump was made in China.

It's all a big lie. Prolly even the "Made in America" label was printed in China.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Bought a Friedrich dehumidifier that said "Made in America" right on the label. Paid a premium for it.

It's all a big lie. Prolly even the "Made in America" label was printed in China.
    You can file an FTC complaint if this is really the case.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I did the same thing. I just got a Bushnell3-9x40 the other day. I ordered from their website. I had thought they were built in Japan at least. I can't remember what I read that led me to believe it was Japan. I had been looking at a lot of brands lately and probably got mixed up. Some of the high end US made scopes have a cheaper line made in China or elsewhere. I thought I'd try and still find an economic brand built in Japan or the Phillipines but obviously did not do enough research.
    Typically the scopes as an assembled unit aren’t made in Japan, but apparently most of the better glass in the scope world is made in Japan. Just the glass. Also I’ve read the glass is a sole source thing, meaning all the different scope manufacturers use the same glass, with exceptions of course.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

What does "Made in America" mean??

Does it mean that every part in the product was made in the US? If so, there is probably NOTHING that is "Made in America."

Or is the final product made in the US for parts sourced from anywhere?

CA has legal definition that basically means that no product sold in CA can be labeled "Made in America."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Glass is not just the glass.

You have the actual glass (or not glass) used in the optics.

Then you have the making of the lens (shape and accuracy of that shape).

And then you have the coatings (almost more important than the actual glass).

Then they are assembled into a scope.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    What does "Made in America" mean??

Does it mean that every part in the product was made in the US? If so, there is probably NOTHING that is "Made in America."

Or is the final product made in the US for parts sourced from anywhere?

CA has legal definition that basically means that no product sold in CA can be labeled "Made in America."

Made in America denotes quality and durability. If the core components are the same junk as the other import products, Made in America means nothing any more.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Made in America denotes quality and durability. If the core components are the same junk as the other import products, Made in America means nothing any more.

That is not the point. The point it, what does it mean LEGALLY.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don’t think so. “Made in America” means it was made, geographically, in America. That doesn’t necessarily denote any sort of quality control specifications, no matter how much you believe that to be. Companies here make shit products too, from shit components. Many people, including tons of them here on this site, seem to perpetuate the panacea that “made in America” is the be all and end all of manufacturing. More believe that politically it means we’re not supporting China or other less than desirable political entities.

If you’re trying to live your life supporting American companies with American workers, fantastic. However don’t delude yourself that you’re automatically getting a better product.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t think so. “Made in America” means it was made, geographically, in America...

...If you’re trying to live your life supporting American companies with American workers, fantastic. However don’t delude yourself that you’re automatically getting a better product.

All that glitters, is not gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom